Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

I kind of struggled with It. I thought the first two thirds of it was brilliant, but the final third was waaaaaaay too long. It is about 25 years since I read it, though, so I may give it another go at some point.

Read Coraline. It is how IT should have been without 300 extra pages of waffle and the underage sex .

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read Coraline. It is how IT should have been without 300 extra pages of waffle and the underage sex .

I should probably whisper this: I'm not that keen on Neil Gaiman. There, I've said it :giggle2:

I've seen the movie though :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tim, do you have a Kindle? I can't remember :shrug:

Anyway, I saw this and thought I'd mention it, just in case - all seven of his Revelation Space books for £16! :o

I'm collecting them, gradually, in paperback, otherwise I'd get it myself :smile:

More reviews coming soon! Been a bit busy lately. Also made a few purchases from eBay and got a couple of Birthday presents :D

Jack Vance - The Dragon Masters

Carl Sagan - Cosmos

Isaac Asimov - The Naked Sun

Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Bret Easton Ellis - The Informers

A bit strange... my Dragon Masters book says that Jack Vance was born in 1920 but all the website I've seen say 1916, you'd think they would check that sort of thing

Edited by Timstar

childhoods-end-2.jpg Childhood's End- Arthur C. Clarke

Synopsis

The Overlords appeared suddenly over every city--intellectually, technologically, and militarily superior to humankind. Benevolent, they made few demands: unify earth, eliminate poverty, and end war. With little rebellion, humankind agreed, and a golden age began.

But at what cost?

Review

I actually finished this a few weeks ago and have been trying to decide what to write about it... time hasn't helped the situation. I know Karsa did a review of this novel earlier in the year and he struggled with what to write, I now know why.

I know Clarke is often criticised for his like of characterisation, and that definitely shows here, but for me it isn't an issue at all. I have a strong science background and career and I am very interested in Astronomy and Cosmology etc. So, for me, it is fascinating reading about all his ideas and 'what if' scenarios, they almost read as historical sci-fi, if there was such a thing. Or even a fictional non-fiction.

It is a relatively short book but doesn't feel it at all, the 'history' covers over 100 years which allows us to see the far reaching implications of the earlier major events. It is also very fresh reading a sci-fi in which there is no main antagonist, however because this is so unusual and not what any character was expecting they don't trust the Overlords, then as a result, neither does the reader. There mysterious appearance and behaviour only adds this creating a fair bit of tension throughout.

I am relatively new to Clarke but definitely consider myself a fan and continue to be impressed by his straight-forward, no nonsense writing. The characterisation is not missed as the reader is invested in the situations, events and the world that Clarke creates as oppose to his characters.

Overall 8/10

Edited by Timstar

51-J3a0cU6L._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS500_.jpgThe Rats - James Herbert

Synopsis

It was only when the bones of the first devoured victims were discovered that the true nature and power of these swarming black creatures with their razor sharp teeth and the taste for human blood began to be realised by a panic-stricken city. For millions of years man and rats had been natural enemies. But now for the first time -- suddenly, shockingly, horribly -- the balance of power had shifted...

Review

I haven't yet branched out into many different horror writers and this was my first James Herbert novel. It was thoroughly enjoyable, gruesome, horrific but a somewhat easy read. It is not a complicated story by any means, over-sized, highly aggressive rats torment London in a series of frenzied attacks and it is left to our protagonist, a school teacher, to deal with them. There is no shortage of detailed descriptions of people being slowly eaten alive by giant rats which never failed to leave grimace or cause me to squirm in my seat. From puppies to babies, gorilla's to armed police, no one is spared from the overwhelming power of the Rats.

There is a somewhat simple love story entangled in there which is never fully utilised but this only serves to focus on the main story in my opinion, at around 200 pages it is a relatively short book that leaps at you from the get go. There were a number of chapters devoted to individuals that quickly sets up there life and back story before dispatching of them even faster in a variety of nasty ways. I loved this method! it really kept you on your toes never knowing what is about to happen.

Overall a great horror story, and a fantastic début novel from a now well established author who I will certainly be reading more of.

Overall 9/10

Edited by Timstar

The Rats was also my first James Herbert read when it was first published and now I still love his books. If you liked the Rats try The Fog, The Survivor (fantastic!) and also The Secret of Crickley Hall, which is due to be screened on BBC this month

51rh-3AmO3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpgElantris by Brandon Sanderson

Synopsis

Elantris was built on magic and it thrived. But then the magic began to fade and Elantris began to rot. And now its shattered citizens face domination by a powerful Imperium motivated by dogged religious views. Can a young Princess unite the people of Elantris, rediscover the lost magic and lead a rebellion against the imperial zealots?

Review

Wow this is a hard one to review... it seemed to take me forever, no matter how long I read for I had only progressed a few pages at a time. But that's not to say it dragged.

I read an interview with Sanderson a while back, he said he was told that the first 5 books by an author are usually terrible, so what did he do? He wrote six books and sent the sixth to publishers, this is that book. His first published novel and it is quite a tome. At over 600 pages filled with political and religious dealings it is by no means an easy read.

It follows three separate stories until the last 50 pages or so when they begin to merge. Raoden, the beloved Prince of Kae, awakes to find he has been taken by the Shaod, a disease-like condition in which people are randomly chosen to become Elantrian, which used to be a great honour and meant a better life. But since the fall of Elantris the Shaod means a horrible, debilitating existence in which your physical abilities and appearance are greatly diminished, your wounds never heal and pain never fades. Raoden is cast out and thrown into Elantris and left to fend for himself. Within minutes he has already stubbed his toe, of which the pain will never fade, after a few months he is mad with pain.

The second storyline follows Sarene, a Princess of Teod, who has just arrived in Kae and is engaged to Raoden as a political asset, the two do not get a chance to meet before the Shaod takes Raoden and she is told that he is dead as it is believed that Elantrians are just that. Sarene is left to fend for herself in the palace of a foreign city where she is neither needed or welcome.

A high Priest of Juddeth from Fjordell, Hrathren, is plotting to bring down the city of Kae from within for the aggressive expansion of the Fjordell empire in the third plot line.

None of these are spoilers as that all happens within the first 20 pages. The complexity of Sanderson's world is staggering, much more so then was created over the entire Mistborn trilogy. It is quite a slow moving plot with any action scenes few and far between but that doesn't make it any less intriguing. This book is definitely not for everyone and certainly requires an open mind and a lot of patience.

I have been trying to think of what exactly I liked about it but can't put my finger on it, I loved the overall story arc and the character development but all the little bits are just small cogs in a massive machine. I'd say Raoden's storyline was the best as it was the focus of the magic development and the Elantrian power, but Sarene's character was much better and much more relate-able, she has flaws and cares and struggles through all the little things. Raoden just seemed to do everything a bit too easily, that's not to say he doesn't suffer though, he does, a lot.

The main thing I didn't like about it (and it's not that big of a deal) was the ambiguous pronunciation of the nomenclature, you may have guessed from the brief descriptions so far but it is full of them. Some sentences felt like a foreign language and I didn't know exactly how they were supposed to sound, a pronunciation guide would have been helpful. Other then that there isn't much else wrong with it, it could have been shorter without losing any charm.

The problem is that overall it failed to have any real impact on me. With such a huge world covered and so many characters in one book it is difficult to connect in a way that means you care what happens to them. It is still a fascinating read, rich in culture, heritage, and magic.

Overall 7/10

Edited by Timstar

The problem is that overall it failed to have any real impact on me.

Great review Tim :smile: I think that last sentence pretty much sums up what I've thought of the Sanderson books I've read so far (which, to be fair, is only the Mistborn trilogy) - some great ideas but nothing particularly memorable.

I'd have to disagree about Mistborn, I think the small band of characters that were developed over the trilogy were all independent and invest-able. I am still very keen to start reading the first Stormlight book, interesting to see what he does with a 10-parter :D

I thought the magic system in Mistborn was great, but if you asked me to name even one of the characters now I couldn't do it. I wanted to like it, I really did. Shame, cos it's put me off reading his other books :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

51rJotBPWFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpgHorns - Joe Hill

Synopsis

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with one hell of a hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples. Now Ig is possessed with a terrible new power - with just a touch he can see peoples' darkest desires - to go with his terrible new look, and he means to use it to find the man who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge; it's time the devil had his due.

Review

Horns is the second novel by Joe Hill, it is a thrilling read but not as good as his debut. I found the concept very original and enticing, in effect the Horns causes people he talks with to tell him what they are really thinking, the darkest thoughts going through their mind. As Ig is suspected of murder by almost everyone he knows, these dark thoughts tend to be what they really think of him. This provided some brilliant dark humour that left me laughing out loud when I know I shouldn't have been. The characters are great, even the minor ones are very relate-able, which helps to put you in Ig shoes and I was left wondering what I would do had this happened to me, how I would react to what the people I know and love really thought of me.

Unfortunately this is where the good points end, the middle of the book was mostly taken up with flashbacks regarding his girlfriend's murder, most of which was unnecessary and and bit boring. The ending was better but it steered away from the original concept too much which made the book interesting in the first place.

I believe it would have benefited a lot from being a bit shorter with some trimmings in the middle. An enjoyable read but nothing ground breaking.

Overall 7/10

An adaptation is currently being filmed with Daniel Radcliffe as Ig, I wouldn't have high hopes but it will be interesting to see how it is done. Here is a picture of him with the horns.

daniel-radcliffe-horns.jpg

Edited by Timstar