50 Shades of Grey

Katrina1968

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only say, if you're determined to purchase the books...just, try the first one. If you like, fantastic, carry on. Personally, I couldn't get through #1, and it's not the BDSM world but the writing that stopped me.

There seem to be more books of this type "coming out of the closet" in B&N. Here is one that is displayed near 50 Shades in our local B&N.

So this genre will be taking over from vampires, I guess.

Apparently Bret Easton Ellis is in talks to write a screenplay adaptation.

:o Tell me you're joking!

Oh Peacefield, I wasn't targeting you regarding said vitriol. It's common on another forum that I visit. And, naturally, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I simply don't believe anyone should be belittled or looked down upon because of them.

Oh definitely, book appreciation is subjective and people shouldn't be judged for what they like or don't like. It's too bad you had to see such hatred on the other forum. People just need to lighten up more! :)

It shocked me to see Krayne say that they are showing up in schools but then I remembered that back in my day we used to sneak copies of 'Forever' by Judy Bloome and giggle over what was written. But I'd say that the writing in Forever was much tamer than what's in Grey! Man, I sound so old...

I ran across this nifty little Opinion piece in the Washington Post just now. It hits many of the nails right on the head. Quick and interesting reading.

What's the attraction of Fifty Shades of Grey/Grey matter of fantasy and reality by Ruth Marcus

An exerpt:

One could — sounds highbrow already, right? — ponder the conundrum of public libraries confronted with consumer demand for “Fifty Shades.” Should libraries, um, submit to the public’s craving or take a stand for decency? Answer: It’s a bad idea for librarians to turn themselves into the taste police.

Apart from anything else, this is what puts me off.

Excerpt from your article:

One could lament the lamentable prose. As one Amazon.com reviewer noted, “characters roll their eyes 41 times, Ana bites her lip 35 times, Christian’s lips ‘quirk up’ 16 times, Christian ‘cocks his head to one side’ 17 times, characters ‘purse’ their lips 15 times, and characters raise their eyebrows a whopping 50 times. . . . If I wrote like that, I’d use a pseudonym too.”

Apart from anything else, this is what puts me off.

Excerpt from your article:

LOL But really, it's a "romance" novel and let's face it, they are not ordinarily the creme de la creme of the crop. The few I've perused have been excessively repetitive and boring. Nabokov it ain't. :rolleyes: Or even Gabaldon.

Some have criticized the book(s) for the BDSM aspect. I'm here to tell you, anyone that thinks this book promotes BDSM is dreaming. It actually makes a great case against it, and the "contract" that is (boring as heck) detailed in the book removes any possibility of real hurt, and is most detailed as to what is and what is not acceptable to both parties. Both parties have the power to delete any section or act.

In any case I found other aspects of the Opinion piece interesting as to what she considers the reasoning regarding the popularity of 50 Shades to be most enlightening., and may well be the very thing that drives the popularity.

........especially for women who have spent a lifetime arguing for gender equality — in politics, the workplace, and, yes, family life — the popularity of “Fifty Shades” is a disconcerting phenomenon. It requires acknowledging gender differences that we’ve been conditioned to deny.

Yet there is a feminist upside to “Fifty Shades” as well. Ana set the limits, not Christian — and gets the lake house to boot.

An interesting opinion piece, pontalba. I'm not sure I agree with the writer that it could be a gender equality thing, though; there are plenty of men keen to submit and, when they have found the right dom, to sign a contract too. :)

Ooshie,

Well, in a way, I felt that was part of the point. A backlash yes as mentioned but also perhaps the Great Equalizer?

Now that I've read the first two books I have to agree though it is more about equality and a bit about female dominance.

I'm currently reading the second I'm enjoying them. Really quick reads. There completely different to anything I have read before. I don't think its fair to judge the books on the first few pages or even couple of chapters as its not at all as I expected the books.

Someone posted about them saying 'she rolled her eyes' and 'she bit her lip' too many times but if you read the book I will realise that they are his turn ones and pet hates so are used against him

I started reading the first one in the series, got 3 chapters in and got bored. The writing style wasn't for me and I just found the characters a bit dull. Everyone is urging me to carry on saying "it gets better" but to be honest, a good book hooks you in from the start so I don't fancy having to read through chapter after chapter of boring nonsense before I get to a bit that is actually interesting.

Glad you enjoyed it Alexlove. :smile:

OH is reading #3 at present, I've read the first 2, will read it when he finishes. :) I'd started something else and he finished his other read first.

I believe there is so much more below the surface in these books that perhaps some don't take the time, or have the inclination to analyze. Some of James's devices are quite clever actually.

Edited by pontalba

I recently finished the first book. Despite the poor writing, it's repetitiveness and being unable to relate to the main character, I some how still managed to enjoy the book. It was a really quick read for me. However I'm unsure if I should bother reading the next two, I think they'll just be the same as the first. I wrote about it in my blog here: it give a more detailed look at my thoughts on the book.

Edited by frankie
removed link

Hanananah,

I'd say continue, as I found the second book to be better. My OH has just finished the third one, and says it is even better with an unexpected ending. I'll be reading it as soon as I finish my present read.

H. Just read your review, well done. :)

Funny though, a couple of items you mention as irritating you, the Inner Goddess/Subconscious bits, I found to be effective, and enjoyed. I appreciated the personalization of her inner conflict in this manner.

Edited by pontalba

Thanks pontalba :)

I'm still debating on if I should bother reading the next two but if I can get them cheap I suppose I probably will as the first took me no time to read at all.

I think my main problem with the inner goddess thing was that they were used far too much, pretty much every page as I remember which I just found annoying as, for me, they didn't add anything. However that's just my opinion, I'm glad you have been enjoying them :)

Just started reading this, simply to see what all the fuss is about. Near enough every woman that lives close to me has read it and all love it. Guess I'll get back to you all with my review once I've finished

I'm really should I/shouldn't I about these books. They sound like something I would enjoy - I'll read Mills & Boon when the mood takes me and they're not exactly high literature. I think I might wait till I can get them from a charity shop though just in case.

Just started reading this, simply to see what all the fuss is about. Near enough every woman that lives close to me has read it and all love it. Guess I'll get back to you all with my review once I've finished

Good, I look forward to reading your review. :)

I'm really should I/shouldn't I about these books. They sound like something I would enjoy - I'll read Mills & Boon when the mood takes me and they're not exactly high literature. I think I might wait till I can get them from a charity shop though just in case.

Last I looked, there were none in our local second hand book store yet.

LOL HIgh literature is fine, but variety is the spice of life. ;)

Edited by pontalba

I thought I'd share this link of Dr. Ruth, haven't seen her in ages. There is a video with the article, the vid is far more informative than the article which only touches on what she says. Interesting. Dr. Ruth Endorses Fifty Shades of Grey

And, you'll notice a link at the end of the article that references the books being brought back into the Florida Library System.

LOL HIgh literature is fine, but variety is the spice of life. ;)

I chuckled when I read this, pontalba, as such an appropriate subtitle for the book! :giggle2:

Not sure I will go out of my way to read these, especially with such a heaving shelf of books waiting to be read, but they have certainly got people talking. I had two customers at work mention them to me today - and as I work in a bakery not a bookshop that shows they are generating a reaction!