Looking for a high fantasy book!

Hey there!

So for the past two days I have felt extremely in the mood for reading some fantasy. I've always loved it more than any other genre but sometimes I just find myself absolutely craving it. unfortunately right now I have a lot of criteria when it comes to the kind of book I want to read, so its very hard to find something without having particular titles in mind.

so I was wondering if maybe one of you had any book suggestions that fulfil the following:

high fantasy, female badass heroine, preferably something to do with magic, no vampires, a little bit of romance that doesn't make it tacky AND most importantly, witty dialogue. it doesn't have to be a seriously good piece of writing with deeper meaning, just a quick and enjoyable read to help relax my mind.

I know it is practically impossible t find one let alone a couple of books that fit this description but I just thought id ask :) thank you in advance!

I have not read tonnes of high fantasy but a series I can recommend is Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. A great female protagonist, a decent new form of magic and brilliant characters with witty dialogue. The first book is called The Final Empire.

What Timstar said. Mistborn fits the criteria and it's an easy read.

You could also check out Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion, which is an omnibus edition: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Deed-Of-Paksenarrion-omnibus/dp/1841498548/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1336998527&sr=8-4

Edited by Karsa Orlong

You might like the Acacia trilogy by David Anthony Durham. The first book is Acacia: The War With Mein. I read it not too long ago and enjoyed it.

The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Gregory Keyes fits your criteria too, I think. The dialogue is pretty witty in this one.

Maybe you will also like The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Besides the hero being male I think it fits your criteria. It's the first part of a trilogy and I really enjoyed it :smile:

Hi ivymuse! Jack Vance. The Lyonesse trilogy. No vampires. Lots of Magic, Romance and witty dialogue. Both female and male heroes and heroines and a female sorceress too. No orcs or hobbits. Like no other fantasy you will have read. I promise.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you classify as high fantasy either, but if you like long sagas, you can't go wrong with two below. They both have some very strong female protagonists. Some books in each series are better than other, but I still found them all satisfying. :readingtwo:

The Wheel of Time series, by the late Robert Jordan and the last two of three by Brandon Sanderson (he was commissioned to take over Jordan's work final book due in 2013.

The Sword of Truth series, by Terry Goodkind