Burned once, won't touch again.....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very kind relative took a chance and bought me a book called 'Worst Case' by a writer called James Patterson a couple of years ago. Easily the most formulaic rubbish I have ever read in a book. Don't get me wrong, I love a good page-turner of a thriller, especilly the Lee Childs books, but this was awful. My first and last read of a James Patterson novel.

Fixed that for you :P:giggle2:

Noticing a lot of votes for James Patterson - I have to agree. I've only read one of his books ('Cross Country') and it was dreadful.

I have to say JP for me too, I couldn't get past the first chapter and I can't even remember the title it made that much of an impression on me!

Hi, I am sure there was already a thread like this but I couldn't see it....I just wondered what authors you have read one book by which you disliked so much you know you can happily never read another by the same author as long as you live.....I have decided Stephen King is on my discard list. It's quite liberating actually

Totally agree about Stephen King I went off him awhile back but decided to try reading Under The Dome & hated it definitely not my sort of thing anymore. I'd also add Maeve Binchey to my never again list & after reading The Ambassadors last year, Henry James is in danger of being added to the list except I've got The Golden Bowl on my TBR pile so he's in last chance saloon :D

• 1 month later...

No, no, no... I have the best one for this topic. The one that has seared in my brain, though perhaps because it happens to be the most recent, is the newest sensation out there. You know of whom I speak... E.L. James, author of 50 Shades of Grey. I will take the formulaic plots of James Patterson and vulgar language of others. But, I simply cannot choke down juvenile, poorly written, unimaginative (and uninteresting, unrealistic, etc) characters in the work James has created. Over the course of my life I've read thousands of books and have finished all but a handful (what can I say, I hate wasting money) but there came a time when I couldn't consume another word of this dribble.

Sidenote: Thanks for the 'heads up' on Richard Castle, I'm looking forward to trying his works.

To be honest I prefer Richard Castle's books to James Patterson

No, no, no... I have the best one for this topic. The one that has seared in my brain, though perhaps because it happens to be the most recent, is the newest sensation out there. You know of whom I speak... E.L. James, author of 50 Shades of Grey. I will take the formulaic plots of James Patterson and vulgar language of others. But, I simply cannot choke down juvenile, poorly written, unimaginative (and uninteresting, unrealistic, etc) characters in the work James has created. Over the course of my life I've read thousands of books and have finished all but a handful (what can I say, I hate wasting money) but there came a time when I couldn't consume another word of this dribble.

Sidenote: Thanks for the 'heads up' on Richard Castle, I'm looking forward to trying his works.

The Richard Castle books were released as a tie-in to the tv show 'Castle' weren't they? (for anyone who doesn't watch this, it's a show about a thriller writer called Richard Castle, who tails a female detective, and she becomes the inspiration for his new series of books about a detective called Nikki Heat.)

I love the show. When I first heard about the books, I admit I thought they would be rubbish - just a quick way to cash in on the show. But I have since read lots of reviews of them, and they have been very positive. Might give them a try :)

Another author I tried once and would never try again is Ali Smith. I hated her book The Accidental, and will never read another of hers.

Edited by Ruth

The Richard Castle books were released as a tie-in to the tv show 'Castle' weren't they? (for anyone who doesn't watch this, it's a show about a thriller writer called Richard Castle, who tails a female detective, and she becomes the inspiration for his new series of books about a detective called Nikki Heat.)

I love the show. When I first heard about the books, I admit I thought they would be rubbish - just a quick way to cash in on the show. But I have since read lots of reviews of them, and they have been very positive. Might give them a try :)

Another author I tried once and would never try again is Ali Smith. I hated her book The Accidental, and will never read another of hers.

You are quite correct in that the TV show 'Castle' is based off the books. I was reluctant to try the books as I enjoy the show so much (one of my favs) and I didn't want to ruin the show if the books weren't up to that par. However, as I have enjoyed James Patterson's books, though predictable as they are, I believe Richard Castle will prove to be highly entertaining.

I've tried James Patterson, and couldn't read it. I am hesitant to try another as the one I tried.......can't remember the name although I may recognize it. It was so dark and a rather twisted view of a serial killer, I believe down in Florida somewhere, I thought.....never again will I go down that dark path! /shiver/

David Sedaris is another I won't try again. Some of his stories of childhood were awfully mean. Oh, it was Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

Another I didn't like, although I did finish it was The Book Thief. I know most people liked it, but it seemed to me to be only "Nazi Lite", and reading as much of WWII history as I have, it really rubbed me the wrong way.

• 4 weeks later...

Mo Hayder.

I read Pig Island, and it started off well... sort of, anyway, but the end it was like an entirely different book, absolute rubbish. I've been told it's not one of her better ones anyway, but nothing on this earth could make me pick up another of her books after it.

Absolutely agree with you there on Pig Island - dreadful book and made me feel grubby!!

An author who I won't be picking up any more is a newcomer called Alex Grecian. His debut novel is a tome of a book called The Yard and is about the early days of Scotland Yard in the aftermath of The Ripper Murders. I don't think Mr Grecian has ever set foot in England as he plots London straight out of Mary Poppins (with cockney accents to boot) - "we does love a man with a full beard" say two prostitutes who are waiting at Euston Square Station (this station didn't exist in the late 1880s - it was still known as Gower Street and I think he confused it with the main Euston terminal). One of his main characters is a Welshman called Nevil Hammersmith who comes from a town called Collier. :doh: These sorts of gaffs are unforgiveable in my mind and maybe he should have plotted his book in New York or Chicago - it would have been more credible.

A couple to add, missed in my first post in May:

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Dan Brown. I have to admit, I did try another after the Da Vinci Code (I usually do give authors a second go, as I can't quite believe they are that bad. Sadly, they all too often are!), but it was, if anything, worse. Quite the biggest turn off amongst children's writers is, for me, Jacqueline Wilson, although I've just read Gideon Defoe's The Pirates!, which has to be the biggest load of drivel I've had the misfortune to waste my time reading for an awfully long time (I gather the film is good though).

I'd also include a few others, even if not quite as bad: Linwood Barclay, Alice Sebold and Ben Elton.

Edited by willoyd

My first post, and I thought the most valuable thing I could post is to warn people about the atrocious Glenn Meade...woeful.

Oh and hi :)

Totally with you Willoyd on Dan Brown - I only read The Da Vinci Code because it was my reading group choice and I borrowed it from the library. I started with an open mind, despite the hype that surrounded it, but oh dear, I couldn't face another one.

Oh, and hi MattB! :welcome2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Absolutely agree with you there on Pig Island - dreadful book and made me feel grubby!!

An author who I won't be picking up any more is a newcomer called Alex Grecian. His debut novel is a tome of a book called The Yard and is about the early days of Scotland Yard in the aftermath of The Ripper Murders. I don't think Mr Grecian has ever set foot in England as he plots London straight out of Mary Poppins (with cockney accents to boot) - "we does love a man with a full beard" say two prostitutes who are waiting at Euston Square Station (this station didn't exist in the late 1880s - it was still known as Gower Street and I think he confused it with the main Euston terminal). One of his main characters is a Welshman called Nevil Hammersmith who comes from a town called Collier. :doh: These sorts of gaffs are unforgiveable in my mind and maybe he should have plotted his book in New York or Chicago - it would have been more credible.

I'm curious about your comment on Pig Island. Some of her books were not bad in my mind, but I haven't read that one. As a matter of curiosity, what is it that put you off so much?

I just finished The Yard and was very underwhelmed. The promised suspense and creepy atmosphere just didn't happen. :angry:

Well I was thinking I was gonna try a James Patterson book next as my friend loves his books and raves about them all the time but this has made me think again!

Myself, I got the first fifty shades book to see what all the fuss was about but never read more than a third of it.

I've said P. D. James before and when I was reading through your posts, I noticed Paulo Coelho's name and I would add that to the list. There must be a few others, too, though...

To each their own, but I am a bit surprised Mark Haddon has come up so many times in this thread. :shrug:

Hi, I am sure there was already a thread like this but I couldn't see it....I just wondered what authors you have read one book by which you disliked so much you know you can happily never read another by the same author as long as you live.....I have decided Stephen King is on my discard list. It's quite liberating actually

I can totally understand that. Stephen King is on my discard list also, vastly overrated!

I hate the way, these days a lot of authors try to convey humour in their work, like a book can't be written without the author trying to be funny. This is possibly more apparent in non-fiction. A few months ago I was looking for some kind of handbook to help me with becoming a father for the first time. Every single book I found written by a man about parenting has to have some sort of sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek approach. Like everyone wants to be the next Russell Brand or Ricky Gervais. Really annoys me actually. I have been interested in books before, and this kind of humour on the back or in the introduction is enough to put me right off!

• 2 years later...

Once I made the mistake of reading a Lynda La Plante novel, which came free with a magazine. I really didn't enjoy it. The book had flaws in writing, character and plot. Since then, I haven't dared to read another one of La Plante's novels. Also, after reading 'P.S I Love You' by Ceclia Ahern, I have developed an aversion to her work as well.

None too pleased this week, to see the nation Colombia,spelled Columbia as though in zBritish Columbia, in the first novel of hers I picked up.

Book ok aside from that, he says tentatively.

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, almost made me comatose.

A compendium of crime stories put together by Maxim Jakubowski as editor, was puerile and offputting.

Edited by itsmeagain

Interesting thread to see revived.  I seem to have contributed plenty in the past, but two names to add to the growing list (fusspot that I am!) are:

David Nichols: hated Starter for Ten, but then had to at least give Us  a  go, as it was a book group read.  Only confirmed my dislike, so won't even try again.

Veronica Roth: tried Divergent, but it was truly awful to the extent that, unlike some others who I've tried but would be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to, I don't think I'll be trying again.

Edited by willoyd

Mo Hayder.

I read Pig Island, and it started off well... sort of, anyway, but the end it was like an entirely different book, absolute rubbish. I've been told it's not one of her better ones anyway, but nothing on this earth could make me pick up another of her books after it.

I knew I had to have said something like this, because I remember how much I hated that stupid book.

However.... I did pick up the first two Jack Cafferys by her and loved them, so I guess I'm back down to no authors I'd never pick up!