Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files

Kell

Author: Jim Butcher
ISBN # 1 84149 398 8

I can feel nothing but major disappointment over a book that has taken me the best part of a week to get through & yet was less than 600 pages long. Let's just say it's not exactly a gripping read. I was 3/4 way through the bloody thing before anything really started happening & even then, it wasn't terribly exciting - no page-turner!

Actually, having visited the official site of Jim Butcher, I wish I'd got hold of the talking book instead, as it appears to have been read by James Marsters (who I adore, even though he sounds like he's putting on an accent when he speaks American, which is weird coz he's American - I think I just got used to his British accent as Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer - LOL!).

Anyway, having wasted �6.99 on this book, I can't see me picking up the following 6 sequels as I was bored from start to finish.

If you want a really well-written, gripping tale of murder, mystery & magick, you're far better off getting hold of the Rowan Gant Mysteries by M R Sellars.

http://www.mrsellars.com/indexB.htm[/url]

• 4 months later...

Another friend of mine who usually likes & dislikes the same stuff as me really liked it - she's getting hold of the rest of them too - different tastes after all, i guess - LOL!

• 2 years later...

For me the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher is great, the first book "Storm Front" was abit slow at the beginnig but picked up in the middle, but as you go through the series the books get better and better. Just can't wait for the next book of the series to come out in April. :D

Edited by Michelle
added capitals

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I love this series, its one of my favourites, definately gets better :lol:

Im up to book 11 :friends0::lol::lol::lol:

Ooooh I hope I like them as much as you Rune as I've just bought the first book :D Hopefully I'll get it started soon.

I loved and have read them all and can't wait for the next one to come out they defintely got better as they went on. I also like his more Sci Fantasy series the Alexa Furies and have only the last to read of these too.

Ooh I just read book 9, Small Favours. The first book doesn't get really interesting 'til the last few chapters. The series does get better as you go along. My favourite book has to be Dead Beat, the 5th book. The next book to come out is called Changes. Jim Butcher also has The Furies of Calderon series which is 6 books. I enjoyed reading books 1-4 of this series and am yet to read the last two books.

• 1 year later...

A few years ago a friend recommend the Dresden Files to me - describing them as Harry Potter for adults. (They're really not).

The books follow Harry Dresden - the only Wizard for Hire in Chicago and his ongoing misadventures. I'm currently on book 8 in the series Proven Guilty and am really enjoying both the progress of the character and the steady expansion of the world he exists in.

Anyone else reading these?

I've merged your post Pocket with an older thread about the first book and changed the title to cover the series rather than just the first book, as there are 12 books and we don't really need 12 threads!

I've started reading these recently on the recommendation of a friend - and I'm onto the fourth book. I'm thoroughly enjoying them. I wasn't as keen on the second one as the first and third, but I've heard they get better anyway. I also read the short story prequel to the series - that's online in various locations and it's worth checking out.

I've read a couple of the Dresden files - the last one I read was absolutely terrible. Luckily it was from the library. It was just plain boring. It's a shame because the concept of the series is good. The stories just need to be better. I much prefer the Kate Griffin series about the sorcerer Mathew Swift.

• 3 months later...

I've been wondering about having a go at this series as you all seem to like him.

Which is the first book?

Was this a TV show at some point?

Storm Front is the first book, I believe - at least, it's the one I've just Kindled :lol:

It was a (very brief) tv series, yes - although I've no idea how close it was to the books.

Hi all,

I managed to grab the tv series cheap and watched it first. I liked the tv series - liked the main Dresdon character and wondered if I would like the books they are based on.

From what I remember, the tv series is not completely based on books, more loosely on some of the stories, especially given the time limit with the tv episodes. They are also not in the same type of order as the books.

In reading the books I was first hesitant because I usually am more comfortable with female based books. However I found the main character, Harry Dresdon, very likeable and the books easy to get caught up in and read.

I agree with others that the first book was a bit quieter in beginning the story. So far the next two books which I've nearly finished, much faster and intense stories I felt.

I'm hoping that the series doesn't get a bit old by the tenth, eleventh book etc - Can anyone comment? I have found this with some other book series where it is primarily based on one character, it gets a bit old come too many books. I have noticed that with each book so far, they've managed to bring in some new interesting characters which I think helps to mix things up a bit.

But am very glad to find a book series I actually have to catch up with, not get frustrated waiting for next book.

Deanna

I finished Storm Front last night. A very quick, enjoyable read, I thought - fast-paced, funny and quite exciting. Shall be getting the next one soon :)

I'm hoping that the series doesn't get a bit old by the tenth, eleventh book etc - Can anyone comment?

Well - not from personal experience, obviously - but over on the Malazan forums they say it gets better and better, and they are currently raving about the latest book. I asked them if I'd taken the first step on a slippery slope, and the kind of answer I got was:

"Yes, but it's a gravity-defying upward-trending slippery slope of goodness."

and

"the dresdencrack... it slopes!!!"

and my personal favourite

"Dresden is going to cause me to buy a cushy toilet seat one of these days."

:lol:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 1 month later...

I've read Storm front and started on the second (can't remember right now), and although I quite enjoyed it once it got going, I felt the second repeated a lot of the first with characterisation etc. Does anyone know if he carries on this repetition or is it just the second book? If so I think I could carry on and hope it gets better.

I found this book rather hard going but I got through it, not one of my favourite authors or series, which is a surprise as I enjoy fantasy and crime, it seemed an ideal combination for me but I just didn't get on with it.

From Amazon Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, Book 7)

This adventure finds Chicago's preeminent wizard coping with his new roommate--vampire half-brother Thomas. Harry soon has problems bigger than Thomas' clutter to deal with. Marva, one of Harry's vampire foes, summons him with a threat to his police-lieutenant friend, Karrin Murphy. Marva demands Harry get the Word of Kemmler for her, or she'll frame Murphy for murder. Harry doesn't even know what the Word is, but while he's trying to find out, and also what damage Marva will be able to do with it, several necromancers descend on Chicago. When Harry learns that the newcomers are students of Kemmler, an evil wizard who mastered ancient spirits in a way no one has since, he discovers that they are seeking the Word, too, in hopes of seizing the powerful knowledge within it and calling forth a powerful creature known as the Erlking. Butcher's latest maintains the momentum of previous Dresden outings and builds the suspense right up to a rousing conclusion.

• 9 months later...