Outer Dark - Cormac McCarthy

Milo MInderbinder

“With full dark he came forth, a solitary traveler going south. He walked all night. Not even a dog spoke him down that barren road.”

A brother and sister in turn of the last century Appalachia. A baby is born between them in secret. The story starts just before the birth of the child and then segues between the story of the sister (Rinthy) and her brother (Culla). This is such an original tale and one that leaves you with the dual feeling of being a bit edgy but also fulfilled as a reader because its just so well written.

The dialogue is written in this strange Anglo-American vernacular that I could read and read forever. McCarthy has the very rare knack of giving you only a few descriptive words and then letting your imagination flesh out in full technicolour a woodland scene or a barnyard. He puts you IN the book. I could write and write about CM but none of it would do him the praise he deserves. A great storyteller and I thoroughly recommend this book. Fantastic writer!

I read 'Outer Dark' a few years ago Milo MInderbinder , I have only read a few books by Cormac McCarthy and ' Outer Dark' was a interesting read, I liked the feeling of the story, it felt very oppressive at times. :)