Sign in to follow this  
bobblybear

Red Leaves by Thomas H Cook

I did a quick search, but couldn't find any threads about this book or it's author. I bought this on impulse for my Kindle (only £0.99), and it has just completely blown me away. :thud:

It's classified as a crime novel, but there is so much more to it than that. I kind of want to say it's similar to some of Jodi Picoult's books, but I found it much more powerful.

The story is told through Eric, a happily married man with the seemingly perfect family. But when a local child goes missing, and his son, Keith - who was the last person to see her alive - is blamed for her disappearance, the whole family is turned into turmoil, and cracks begin to show in their 'perfect lives'.

It's quite a short read, I finished it over 2 days, but could have easily read it in one. It's a very introspective novel, and is more centered around Eric's family, and their relationships, rather than the missing child; which is the main reason I don't think it should be classified as crime.

I have never heard of this author before, but according to Wikipedia he has written quite a few books, 6 of which have been nominated for various awards (Red Leaves won a couple of Crime awards).

Anyway, if you have £0.99 spare (and a Kindle!), then I urge you to give this book a go. :boogie:

I read this myself last year I think. I have to agree, it is brilliant. I've only read one other of his books "A murmur of stones", which I didn't think was quite as good, but still an enjoyable read.

Ian

I read a review for this just now. It reminded me a tiny little bit of The Lovely Bones as far as focussing on the family more so than the crime. I think I'll try to get a hold of this book; it sounds very interesting. :)

Great book, I found it hard to put down. Scarlette I enjoyed Lovely Bones but imo Red Leaves is a much better book the only similarity between them is that a girl goes missing.