Ask the Dust by John Fante

Cec

I have just read the book's synopsis on Amazon,

Arturo Bandini is a twenty-year-old burgeoning writer, spending his days hungry for success, life and food in a dingy hotel in Los Angeles. Full of the enthusiasm of youth, and the thrill of having one short story published, the reality of poverty and prejudice has hit him hard. He meets a local waitress, Camilla Lopez, and embarks on a strange and strained love-hate relationship. Slowly, but inexorably, it descends into the realms of madness. Fante depicts the highs and lows of the emotional state of Bandini with conviction, but without easy sentiment. In Ask the Dust, Fante is truly 'telling it like it is' as a poverty-stricken son of an immigrant in 'perfect' California.

From reading the synopsis I would say that the 'dust' in this context is just that ~ dust. Asking the dust would probably relate to the poverty depicted in the book, and the lack of hope, a kind of "Don't ask me as I don't know - ask the dust".

• 3 months later...