• Announcements

• Hayley

Late Autumn Supporter Giveaway   11/27/2020

I know that winter is well on the way, but I'm sneaking the autumn giveaway in here, right at the end of the season...     I thought this giveaway seemed particularly appropriate for this year: Dear Reader: The Comfort and Joy of Books by Cathy Rentzenbrink.  I'm sure some of you will have heard of this book. It came out in September and has had brilliant reviews. It's been described as a love letter to reading and I think all of us have truly appreciated 'the comfort and joy of books' this year.  It is also a really beautiful hardback. Please excuse my picture-taking skills, it's really hard to get a good picture of something that's shiny!   As always, patreon supporters will be automatically entered into the draw. If you're not a supporter but you'd like to join our patreon you can do so here:  bookclubforum.co.uk is creating a book community | Patreon
ian

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

On 30/07/2020 at 7:27 PM, Raven said:

Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection, is published tomorrow as a e-book. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Folly-Rivers-London-Collection-ebook/dp/B08BW6LCPH

I think this may be a collection of the Waterstones exclusive short stories plus some others and some new ones.

Oooh I need to charge my kindle! Have you read any yet?

4 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oooh I need to charge my kindle! Have you read any yet?

I've not actually bought it yet. 

I'm knee deep in an Iain M. Banks book that is talking me an age to read and I don't want the distraction! (I suspect I have also read several of the stories before, so it's not as high on my to-read list as it would otherwise be!).

On 01/08/2020 at 8:36 PM, Raven said:

I've not actually bought it yet. 

I'm knee deep in an Iain M. Banks book that is talking me an age to read and I don't want the distraction! (I suspect I have also read several of the stories before, so it's not as high on my to-read list as it would otherwise be!).

I don't feel like I want to read them as urgently as I always want to read the novels either, for the same reason. Which is lucky because I have no idea where I put the charger for my kindle...

3 hours ago, Raven said:
New novella next March: What Abigail Did That Summer

Looks like it is set at the same time as the main series novel Foxglove Summer.

It’s on my wishlist for the Kindle. Abigail seems to be a feisty female, who popped into the 2nd & 3rd series, so this novella should be good too.

Oooh yay! I hope the foxes are in it, I love them. 

[Edit: I expanded the description and I see they are in it :lol:]

Are the novella's usually that expensive though? I can't remember paying £12.99 for the last one...

I like Abigail as well. Aaronovitch seems to be pretty good at writing feisty females!

The foxes are in it; they think they are spies, according to the blurb!

I think the previous hardback novellas have been around that price. 

On 23/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, Raven said:

I like Abigail as well. Aaronovitch seems to be pretty good at writing feisty females!

The foxes are in it; they think they are spies, according to the blurb!

I think the previous hardback novellas have been around that price. 

Yes, the foxes were talking to Abigail at the last of Whispers Underground. Aaronvitch’s female characters are very feisty, except FBI agent Reynolds, but I think that was intended

Spoiler

as she was evangelical Christian (hints by telling people not to swear as it blaspheming, saying Thank God when they were saved from the sewers etc. etc).

Well, that’s my interpretation of it anyway. 

Edited by Marie H
Poor spelling.....😬

I've just found out by chance ie surfing on Amazon, that False Values has been out in paperback for a month, yet I haven't seen it promoted, or even on a table, in one bookshop locally.  But  they promote the new novel by some reality TV star with no writing experience whatsoever.

11 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I've just found out by chance ie surfing on Amazon, that False Values has been out in paperback for a month, yet I haven't seen it promoted, or even on a table, in one bookshop locally.  But  they promote the new novel by some reality TV star with no writing experience whatsoever.

I think I've only ever seen Aaronovitch's books on a table in the science fiction section of Waterstone's.

I don't  think it was there, it's got quite an eye catching cover hasn't it, will have another look next time I go.