A Discovery Of Witches ~by~ Deborah Harkness

Charm

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I finished and loved it my only problem now is I am having to wait for the next book.

I loved all the characters, and yes I could easily fall for Matthew Clairmont, although one of the things I liked was that Diana wasn't bowled over by his somewhat medieval apoproach to women and particularly women who aren't vampires. But the reasons for his attitude are nicely explained. I am also glad he has a back story and has been in love before which I think it makes it more real, on top of this I like the idea that Diana accepts this.

I love the other characters too, from the Aunts but like a lot of people some of my favourites are Ysabeau (one of my favourite names) and MArthe and I hope they continue to feature in the new books.

I am now waiting desperately for the new book and

How she deals with Diana and Matthew living in the past

Ahem.. who gave Charm the idea to read the book in the first place?! biggrin.gif I finished my copy last night (I took a break from it for another couple of review books) - I thought the first half was quite slow, but that did help set up the characters nicely. And, as Charm says, it does take the magical elements to the extreme towards the end.. but hey, this is a world where vampires, witches and daemons live amongst us! I also loved the historical and science elements, which somehow kept it a little more grounded.

At the moment I'm totally in love with Matthew, but I do think he'll change in the next book - it doesn't sound as if it's environment which will bring out the best in him! I believe the author is a historian, so hopefully she can carry it off well.. and I'm very excited about it!

Charm, does it feel a bit like your child's done well in school and is popular amongst his/her friends? I'm chuffed for you, it's so nice to read a fantastic book, recommend it wholeheartedly to others and then see that they really loved it, too!

You're spot on, it does! I was reading what Chesil said about it earlier with a mixture of chuffedness and relief! When so many people say they're gonna go out and spend good money on a book that you recommend, a huge hardback no less, you feel responsible if they don't enjoy it. I am so pleased that both Chesil and pickle loved it already :D :D

Thanks Charm for letting me know when the next book is due to come out.

At least now I know not to keep looking for it. But all that time to wait.

Hopefully the wait will be worth it ;)

This looks great - my aunt bought it 2 days ago so now I will have to borrow it.

Oh do indeed and come back here and let us know what you think! :)

Right I finished and loved it my only problem now is I am having to wait for the next book.

I loved all the characters, and yes I could easily fall for Matthew Clairmont, although one of the things I liked was that Diana wasn't bowled over by his somewhat medieval apoproach to women and particularly women who aren't vampires. But the reasons for his attitude are nicely explained. I am also glad he has a back story and has been in love before which I think it makes it more real, on top of this I like the idea that Diana accepts this.

I love the other characters too, from the Aunts but like a lot of people some of my favourites are Ysabeau (one of my favourite names) and MArthe and I hope they continue to feature in the new books.

I am now waiting desperately for the new book and

How she deals with Diana and Matthew living in the past

:yahoo: Another Matthew lover too! I thought the Aunts were brilliant as well as Ysabeau and Martha, One of my favourite characters was in fact

the house! I loved how it threw tantrums and took things for years :lol:

I'm delighted you enjoyed it too :friends3:

My copy has arrived! Thanks again Charm

Oh let us know what you think, AS SOON AS you finish it! :exc:

Edited by Charm

I hope you're wrong and that he's still the perfect knight in shining armour!

Oh my! I am so pleased you enjoyed it so much :D You loved all the things I loved about it too, only you said it much better :lol:

I do agree that we have so much more to see about Matthew, although

I hope you're wrong and he still stays the luscious knight in shining armour he does so well. I do think that he will come close to killing Diana at some stage, through some mindless addiction to her blood or something, however, I think 'love will conquer all'!

Don't talk yourself down, woman - if you hadn't said it all so well, I wouldn't have read it in the first place!

I suspect you're right, about Matthew, and

I'm sure I'll be convinced that he is Mr Completely Wonderful after all :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to download this one soon to my Kindle.

All the positive comments about it have made me curious. :)

I bought this today!!! I'm so excited to start reading it based on everyone's glowing reviews :D.

:yahoo: Can't wait to hear what you both think of it! :exc:

Ahem.. who gave Charm the idea to read the book in the first place?! biggrin.gif I finished my copy last night (I took a break from it for another couple of review books) - I thought the first half was quite slow, but that did help set up the characters nicely. And, as Charm says, it does take the magical elements to the extreme towards the end.. but hey, this is a world where vampires, witches and daemons live amongst us! I also loved the historical and science elements, which somehow kept it a little more grounded.

At the moment I'm totally in love with Matthew, but I do think he'll change in the next book - it doesn't sound as if it's environment which will bring out the best in him! I believe the author is a historian, so hopefully she can carry it off well.. and I'm very excited about it!

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry, how did I miss this post? :o I think we did post quite close together :blush:

But you're quite right, I did in fact see you had this on your LibraryThing app on FB, which is what made me get it in the first place :friends3: You have such excellent taste, how could I resist! :D I didn't know the author was an historian, now I'm even more excited to get the next installment! Roll on 2012! :exc:

Up to chapter 7 of this - very promising! :readingtwo:

Yay! Another Micheal fan perhaps?

I'm trying to resist, but I'm sure I'll end up head over heels as usual, I just can't resist a tall, muscular, protective, intelligent vampire, though not sure he can be as gorgeous as my True Blood Eric, we'll see.... (Can you tell my hubby has been away for 4 weeks??!!) :lol:

I'm trying to resist, but I'm sure I'll end up head over heels as usual, I just can't resist a tall, muscular, protective, intelligent vampire, though not sure he can be as gorgeous as my True Blood Eric, we'll see.... (Can you tell my hubby has been away for 4 weeks??!!) :lol:

Uh-huh :yes: yes, yes I can. :giggle: Although, I must say, you do have great taste :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually been reading it for the past three weeks. Its slow going for me as I'm in the thick of summer classes (Transatlantic Goth) and so I can't read as much as I want right now but trust me, when I have my weekend off before the next session starts....I'm going to finish this book!

I have the last 50 pages to read tonight, have loved it so far but can feel it setting itself up for the next book in the series, not a complaint but I want her to quickly finish the next book so I can start it next week!!!!!!!

I have the last 50 pages to read tonight, have loved it so far but can feel it setting itself up for the next book in the series, not a complaint but I want her to quickly finish the next book so I can start it next week!!!!!!!

Finished it, loved it, thank you to everyone who suggested it and caused me to ignore all my other TBR's while I read it. Now, whats next???

Yay! So pleased you loved it, unfortunately it's not just next year you have to wait, it's SEPT next year :( I hope it's another huge installment to make up for the wait!

I have heard soooooo much about this book that I want to read it real bad. But because of all the holidays coming up I just can't really explain to myself another purchase of a book so went to my online reservation and this is what message I got...

This title has now been reserved for you: Discovery of witches.

We will send you an email when it is available. If you have any enquiries about your reservation please ask at your local library. There are no copies currently in stock for this item, but the item is currently on order. Compact Discs are subject to a holdback period imposed by the British Phonographic Industry Licence, and cannot be lent until three months after the release date.

:irked:Soooo when will I get it!!!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo :doh:

I absolutely adored this book and can't wait for the next installment.

However, I have to say this is a guilty pleasure for me. Vampires and romance are things I usually steer clear of. :blush:

I do like some vamp romances but felt this was very different, it had some of the same elements, the strong handsome vampire trying to resist the sweet smelling warm blood etc, but it had a much stronger storyline. There is a lot of historical content which kept it interesting (I'm sure there'll be lots more in the second book) and she hasn't relied on churning out all the regular vampire/witch myths and come up with a fair few ideas of her own. A great book in it's own right that I hope doesn't get cornered into the vamp romance genre as it is so much more than that.

• 3 months later...