LauraLoves Ultimate Teen Guide Book Challenge

lauraloves

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Laura, I got my 2010 copy today, looks great, but I can't see any mention of age recommendations, am I missing something? :huh:

In my copy, with every book their is a short paragraph written about them, and the age ratintg is in a little circle at the top near the title, if this helps.

I haven't compared them too closely but the newer one has some newer titles in it, eg The Hunger Games trilogy. It doesnt look like they've taken any/many books out, they have just added approximately 50 more. Other than that the most marked difference is the moving away from age recommendations to level of difficulty instead (graded from 1-3). I think it's a shame they didn't use both classifications.

I haven't compared them too closely but the newer one has some newer titles in it, eg The Hunger Games trilogy. It doesnt look like they've taken any/many books out, they have just added approximately 50 more. Other than that the most marked difference is the moving away from age recommendations to level of difficulty instead (graded from 1-3). I think it's a shame they didn't use both classifications.

Ah okay then, will have to have a look to see if I can find out which books have been added! Ah I get what you mean, it would have made a bit more sense to have both then.

Just a quick question, does Twilight feature in the later edition? becuase I was very surprised that it wasnt in the first!

Yes Twilights in there, along with Hunger Games and Michael Grants Gone series, just noticed Jenny Downhams Before I Die in there too, and of course some of the recommendations for what to read next have been tweaked too.

ah ok then, will have to get my hands on the newer edition of the book too!

I'm just about to look through mine now, I keep flicking through and adding more to mine and my kids wishlists! I earlier came across what looks like it could be a great read, 'The Absolutely True Story of a Part-time Indian' by Sherman Alexie. In doing so I discovered another great thing about The Teen Guide, it doesn't show the book covers (well rarely anyway), this is great for me as I am terrible for discarding a book simply because I don't like the cover, and I would definitely have done that with this book, now I may just give it a try!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Absolutely-True-Diary-Part-time-Indian/dp/1842708449/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320009397&sr=1-1

I'm just about to look through mine now, I keep flicking through and adding more to mine and my kids wishlists! I earlier came across what looks like it could be a great read, 'The Absolutely True Story of a Part-time Indian' by Sherman Alexie. In doing so I discovered another great thing about The Teen Guide, it doesn't show the book covers (well rarely anyway), this is great for me as I am terrible for discarding a book simply because I don't like the cover, and I would definitely have done that with this book, now I may just give it a try!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Absolutely-True-Diary-Part-time-Indian/dp/1842708449/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320009397&sr=1-1

I'm a little like that too, I know you shouldnt judge a book by its cover but I do! Also I must have missed out on many a good book just because I don't like the cover!

I'm sooo wishing I hadn't bought these books, I'm only up to B and my Amazon wishlist has increased dramatically!!!

Wow, sounds like it's a good thing I haven't been able to look too closely through my own copy yet!

I'm sooo wishing I hadn't bought these books, I'm only up to B and my Amazon wishlist has increased dramatically!!!

hehe, I'm ok until I read the recommedations parts!

Wow, sounds like it's a good thing I haven't been able to look too closely through my own copy yet!

These books should come with a warning hehe!

• 1 month later...

2011 Book 9 - Confessions of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella

Age Rating - 14+

Recomendations - Shopaholic Abroad - Sophie Kinsella

Does my Bum Look Big in This? - Arabella Weir (UTBGC)

Bookends - Jane Green

Jemima J - Jane Green (UTBGC)

Synopsis - Synopsis – Retail therapy is the answer to all her problems. She knows she should stop, but she can’t. She tries Cutting Back, she tries Making More Money. But neither seems to work. The stories she concocts become more and more fantastic as she tries to untangle her increasingly dire financial difficulties. Her only comfort is to buy herself something – just a little something…

Can Becky ever escape from this dream world, find true love, and regain the use of her Switch card?

My Thoughts - well, what a brilliant book! I've posted my proper thoughts in my reading thread, but I loved it, so glad there is more to come! I don't understand why it is rated 14+. I personally didnt think that it was a difficult read, or difficult reading matter!

Rating - 5/5

• 2 months later...

Hi sorry to bump an old thread but ive just ordered the 2006 edition from play (£2.19 free del) and wondered if someone with both copies could tell me what book have been added please. Also does anyone have a copy of the spreasheet as the original link no longer works? Thanks

Hi sorry to bump an old thread but ive just ordered the 2006 edition from play (£2.19 free del) and wondered if someone with both copies could tell me what book have been added please. Also does anyone have a copy of the spreasheet as the original link no longer works? Thanks

Hehe, its not too much of an old thread, I havent read any books for this challenge this year . . . yet :P

I have the older version (I think!) and I'm sure that this is the one that has age ratings it in, the newer book does not. As for what has been added I'm not too sure but I will have a bit of a search for you :)

I might have a copy too on my other computer, ill have a look for that for you :)

• 3 weeks later...

2012 Book 1 - Pied Piper - Neville Shute

Age Rating - 14+

Recommendations - A Town Like Alice - Neville Shute (UTBGC)

A Little Boy Lost - Marghanita Laski

The Machine Gunners - Robert Westall (UTBGC)

Synopsis - Elderly John Howard goes off to the Jura in France on a fishing trip, except this is no ordinary time. Germany is at war with Europe. Friends at his hotel ask him to take their children back to England with him to safety as Germany is poised to invade France. Their harrowing journey begins by train and then proceeds on foot.

My thoughts - this is a truely brilliant book, one that I am so glad that I have read. I have posted a proper review over on my reading thread so for more details check that out :)

I do agree with the age rating too as a couple of parts of this book are a bit harrowing.

Rating - 4.5/5

• 2 months later...

2012 Book 2 - I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Age Rating - 14+

Recommendations - The Persuit of Love - Nancy Mitford

Love in a Cold Climate - Nancy Mitford (UTBGC)

The Light Years - Elizabeth Jane Howard

Synopsis - 'I write this sitting in the kitchen sink' is the first line of this timeless, witty and enchanting novel about growing up. Cassandra Mortmain lives with her bohemian and impoverished family in a crumbling castle in the middle of nowhere. Her journal records her life with her beautiful, bored sister, Rose, her fadingly glamorous stepmother, Topaz, her little brother Thomas and her eccentric novelist father who suffers from a financially crippling writer's block. However, all their lives are turned upside down when the American heirs to the castle arrive and Cassandra finds herself falling in love for the first time...

My Thoughts - This book is really good, its so fantastic that its going on my list of all time favourite books, it will definitaly be one that ill be reading again.

Progress - 3.24% completed.

• 2 months later...

2012 Book 3 - Dracula Bram Stoker

Age Rating - 14+

Recommendations - Carmilla - Sheridan Le Fanu

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson (UTBGC)

Night World - L. J. Smith (UTBGC)

Northanger Abbey (UTBGC)

Synopsis - ‘The door is shut, and the chains rattle; there is a grinding of the key in the lock; I hear the creaking of lock and bolt…I shall not remain alone with them. I may find a way from this dreadful place, away from this cursed spot, from this cursed land, where the devil and his children still walk with earthly feet!’

Young lawyer Jonathan Harker travels to Transylvania on business for a mysterious Count. Months later in England, beautiful Lucy Westenra falls ill and dies, inexplicably, as if from a severe loss of blood. Lucy’s friends, including Jonathan’s fiancée Mina and the intrepid doctor Van Helsing, must begin a desperate battle against a powerful, ancient evil, in Bram Stoker’s definitive gothic tale.

My Thoughts - I was a little bit scared about reading this book as i dont always get on with classics, but this book is fantastic. I loved reading this book and its the first one that has actually scared me. a must read for all, i can see why this book is on the list!

Rating - 5/5

Progess - 3.38% complete