Books devoid of Romance

I seem to be setting aside all my current books, no matter how much I'm otherwise enjoying them, as soon as romantic aspects come into play. They pull me right out of the story and back into the here and now, which is precisely what I'm trying to escape from by reading, so it's all a bit counterproductive.

In order for me to actually finish something anytime this century, does anyone know about really good books (possibly fantasy, science fiction, horror or similarly speculative fiction - I'm not much of a realist, for the same reason stated above. If I wanted real life, I wouldn't be looking for it in a novel) which do not, and I repeat do not feature a love story?

Thanking you all kindly :blush:!

Try Simon Scarrow's Roman series - I don't remember there being any romance at all in the first couple of books and only a very small amount of very sensible romance in the form of a love interest later on in the series for Cato (not dealt with in a romantic way, as these are soldiers who have to be realistic in their chances of survival!). Start with Under The Eagle and go on from there.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld doesn't tend to have much romance either. The first two aren't the best in the series, but I don't recall there being any kind of love interest in any of the books till Mort and it's, again, not romance - more interested sparring in a humorous manner (as are all the love interest type scenarios on The Discworld).

If you fancy some classics, go back and read the Sherlock Holmes stories - Holmes is famous for his disdain of the fairer sex so you'll get no romance in those books!

Hmmm, this was a tough request, but I think I came up with a few for you.

Fantasy:

Tamsin by Peter S. Beagle (This is young adult. I hope that doesn't bother you.)

Angels of Destruction by Keith Donohue

The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

Science Fiction:

Otherwise: Three Novels by John Crowley (This collection contains Engine Summer, one of the strangest yet finest works of science fiction I have read)

The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe

A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Horror:

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

The Exorcist by William P. Blatty (It's far better than the movie, I thought.)

Keep in mind it has been a while since I have read some of these, so there may be a love story that I am forgetting, but I am pretty positive there isn't.

Interesting, but most of the fantasy I can think of does contain a love story. :blush:

I hope others may come up with some more suggestions. :)

Edited by Pixie

For fantasy I would try the Skulduggery Pleasant series they are written for YA but I have enjoyed them and they are quite funny.

Have you tried any of the John Connolly series with the detective Charlie Parker no sex and/or romance but a bit gothic.

I know I have mentioned Chine Mieville, have you read UnLundun yet, that seems to fit as does The Kraken. The scar does have sex and I have only just started The City and The City

good luck and I will see if I can think of any more

• 3 weeks later...

Pff let me think. Lots and lots of books have romance in them, so it's kind of hard. Looking at my bookcase from where I sit I see Stephen King's Talisman (with Peter Straub), it reads quite a bit like fantasy with some horror elements, no love story there, just a young boy going on a quest to save his mom. Love for friends and mom, but no love interest. One of my favourite books.

And what about Stephen King's Dark Tower series? Have only read the first two or three but can't really remember much of a love story. Has been years since I've read them, so I could easily be wrong.

War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, there's no romance in that one, also a great read, though short. His Time Machine has a bit of affection for Weena, but there's no real romance.

I've also got some Jules Verne books in my bookcase but haven't read them yet, but from what I can remember from reading abotu them, they don't have much romance in them either. I know Journey to the center of the earth doesn't have that.

I see a pattern too, if you stick to the classics that aren't romance novels (classic horror and sci-fi) there's rarely a romance story present. Seems like these days every book HAS to have some romance in it, but in the classics, much less.

Alice in Wonderland, H.P. Lovecraft.

Stephen King's It has got some, but little romance in it. Same with the Harry Potter books.

Hope I've helped a bit. ;)

P.S. Just read who it was that actually posted this, seeing it was you Bookjumper, don't think you'll have trouble with the classics there. ;)

Sorry I can't be of help, but what an excellent thread. I love a bit of romance in a book so now I know which ones to avoid! You must be one of the lucky ones experiencing it in "real life!"

... it's rather the opposite I'm afraid; my real life experience of the subject is pretty painful and tangled at present so I don't really care to read about anybody else's painful entanglement, nor do I want to read about anybody else's happy ending. Books are what I come to in order to expect reality, so the last thing I want is to be reminded of real life as it is, or should be.

Thanks to everyone who came up with suggestions :hug: all of your efforts are very much appreciated. I've looked them all up and:

Pixie - a few of the ones you mentioned do seem like they have romance elements in them, and Ray Bradbury is already one of my favourites. However - The Stolen Child, Otherwise, The Fith Head of Cerberus and A Canticle for Lebowitz do sound perfect :)!

Pickle - I haven't read UnLunDun or Kraken yet but definitely want to try them both, probably dipping my toe in with ULD first. Skulduggery Pleasant does intrigue me but isn't it an enormous series (neither my finances nor my shelfspace like those)?

Univerze - I've already read and loved War of the Worlds and my fair share of Jules Verne, but you do make a useful observation about classics vs. contemporary novels so I'll see if my sprawling classics wishlist contains anything un-romantic looking. I do like King and have been meaning to try The Dark Tower for ages so that's definitely one to keep in mind, provided I can find the first volume in a decent edition which won't fall apart on me.

Michelle - Apartment 16 doesn't sound like my sort of thing I'm afraid, I like my horror to have a social interest (think Frankenstein, Carrie etc.).

Kell - unfortunately I'm a terrible betrayer of my name and ancestry, and for some reason really dislike Roman history:lurker: I'm also not keen on whodunnits, which is even weirder considering that I devour everything crime-y on the telly. The Discworld books I'm already familiar with and adore.

Univerze - I've already read and loved War of the Worlds and my fair share of Jules Verne, but you do make a useful observation about classics vs. contemporary novels so I'll see if my sprawling classics wishlist contains anything un-romantic looking. I do like King and have been meaning to try The Dark Tower for ages so that's definitely one to keep in mind, provided I can find the first volume in a decent edition which won't fall apart on me.

Well, about the Gunslinger, I've recently bought this edition:

uk_dt_1.jpg

at Waterstones, admittedly it was quite pricey for a thin paperback, 8 pounds, but it seems like a decent enough edition. I do crack the spine etc on my books (they can look like they've been read, gives them more charm) and I tried it out on this one and it seems to hold out pretty well. I haven't read it so far yet though, but it seems ok. ;)

Good luck with the relationship thing, seems you've been troubled a long time now, and I know what you mean by not wanting to read about anything related to real life when real life's too painful. I've come to love romance novels again, but still can't read about cancer etc. But when my ex and me were in trouble, I couldn't read romance either. Good luck. ;)

And cuddles.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but there is absolutely zero romance in The Hobbit!

I do crack the spine etc on my books (they can look like they've been read, gives them more charm) and I tried it out on this one and it seems to hold out pretty well. I haven't read it so far yet though, but it seems ok. ;)

Murderer!

Hahaha well what can I say? I am not anal (can I post that word here, we'll see, if not, do remove), about keeping my books in perfect health, I try to buy hardbacks when I can just because they can be read over and over without looking it.. but my reading comfort is more important than keeping my books looking perfect. When you see my books, you'll know I love reading them.

No food smudges or dog ears though, that's horrible. :irked:

I would suggest A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin (controversial? :P). Although there are of course relationships within the story and actually quite a lot of sex, there is no soppy romance, or romance in the most literally sense of the word - nothing ideal or lovely at all!

Univerze - thanks for the understanding & cuddles, they are most welcome :hug: so much so, I may almost forgive your murderous tendencies :P

Raven - you know what, I've only ever had The Hobbit read to me when I was little and I remember, well, little about it, so that's one for the list *makes mental & hardcopy note*.

Nienna - thanks for the suggestion but 'relationships and actually quite a lot of sex... nothing ideal or lovely at all' just will not do I'm afraid, in fact that'd be equally bad for me, just in a different way. I thank you for the warning, because it had always intrigued