What's for Dinner?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What's everyone doing for dinner today? I'm doing oxtail stew. I've been wanting them for eons but they've been harder to get than hen milk. I was doing my online grocery shopping when I came across some at my local grocer's so I hopped on them. I love the savory, richness of the meat. I'll add potatoes and onions and make a side of collard/turnip greens. The weather is UCK, with rain, and cold. Perfect for this particular comfort food.

What's in YOUR pot?

I decided to shake things up in February and try to go plant based for a month. So far its been pretty good and despite worrying I would be hungry ive been fine. Its not something I can see myself doing full time but I can see myself consuming less animal based when I get to the end of the month.

1 hour ago, Brian. said:

I decided to shake things up in February and try to go plant based for a month. So far its been pretty good and despite worrying I would be hungry ive been fine. Its not something I can see myself doing full time but I can see myself consuming less animal based when I get to the end of the month.

Nice one Brian. 

The animals would be grateful if they could. 

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, muggle not said:

What is everyone going to have for Easter Dinner? Anything special?

My mom has invited us for dinner and she’s making a lamb Sunday roast :). Then I have a chocolate egg :D.

How about you muggle, anything special planned? 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:12 AM, Hayley said:

My mom has invited us for dinner and she’s making a lamb Sunday roast :). Then I have a chocolate egg :D

We had roast lamb too, roast potatoes, kumara (purple sweet potato, native to here) peas and broccoli. Then toasted hot cross buns with strawberry jam 🙂

6 hours ago, poppy said:

We had roast lamb too, roast potatoes, kumara (purple sweet potato, native to here) peas and broccoli. Then toasted hot cross buns with strawberry jam 🙂

That is quite a meal! My wife loves the purple sweet potato. It is by far her favorite sweet potato.

On 15/04/2022 at 11:25 PM, muggle not said:

We are having a Honey Baked Ham, potato salad, baked beans, and pickled eggs w/ beets. And a bottle of Pinot Noir. :)

12 hours ago, poppy said:

These both sound absolutely delicious! I've never heard of jam on a hot cross bun though poppy! This is like the time Chrissy mentioned putting cheese on them, I'll have to try it now :lol:

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

These both sound absolutely delicious! I've never heard of jam on a hot cross bun though poppy! This is like the time Chrissy mentioned putting cheese on them, I'll have to try it now :lol:

And I have never heard of putting beans on toast. :)

they sell cheese hot cross buns in the stores.  I always have jam on things like hot cross buns, or toasted teacakes - which is basically a large hot x burn without the cross!

Maybe beans on toast is a British thing?  Baked beans.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:47 AM, Hayley said:

Now cheese and jam, that would be even better! :mrgreen:

We always have baked beans on toast too, although I love a cold baked bean sandwich as well :lol:

On 4/19/2022 at 2:32 AM, muggle not said:

That is quite a meal! My wife loves the purple sweet potato. It is by far her favorite sweet potato.

I wonder if it's the same as ours?

Edited by poppy

5 hours ago, poppy said:

Now cheese and jam, that would be even better! :mrgreen:

We always have baked beans on toast too, although I love a cold baked bean sandwich as well :lol:

I wonder if it's the same as ours?

I did a little research and found that the purple sweet potato we have in the U.S. is not the same as kumara that is native to NZ. 

Beans on toast or on a sandwich, are these beans from a can?

On 4/22/2022 at 2:51 AM, muggle not said:

Beans on toast or on a sandwich, are these beans from a can?

Yes they are, it's not common to make homemade baked beans here. 

I have tried a couple of times, I think, but would love your recipe if you don't mind sharing it 😊