Sign in to follow this  
sib

John Fowles - The Collector

I read this book something about half a year ago. Well, as far as I remember it was interesting reading. During the reading one question haunts me: what the end would be...

There was a similar real "story" in august. (I am speaking about Natascha Kampusch)

Thanks for the info Dave; I might read it.

I heard a bit about that Kampusch thing. Isn't it spooky when something that you would think could only happen in fiction happens in real life.

John Fowles is one of my favorite authors and this was one of his best -- or so I thought. (It was a long time ago.) I'm rereading The French Lieutenant's Woman at present, and I loved The Magus way back when.

John Fowles is one of my favorite authors and this was one of his best -- or so I thought. (It was a long time ago.) I'm rereading The French Lieutenant's Woman at present, and I loved The Magus way back when.

My wife read The French Lieutenant's Woman years ago and enjoyed the book. We just donated it to the library along with 176 other books.

The library must love you! Jeremy Irons was in the movie, if that tempts anybody at all. :wink:

I've seen bits of the movie on tv FLW I mean. But even Jeremy can't tempt me to buy the DVD. I can always enjoy our Mr. Irons on the DVD and CD of Lolita and Swann in Love. :D

Re The Collector, I haven't read that, but remember bits of the film years ago, didn't Samantha Egger play in it? That was pretty interesting. Depressing, but interesting.

I did read this about two years ago.  It is an excellent book. I like the way that the story is divided in two parts, both protagonists have their own turn to narrate and in that way you find yourself challenged.  It was well written and not as depressing as the movie, it is also a very quick read.