Chesterton

Raskolnikov

Chesterton is quite famous in France. I know it may also be the case in South America. In here, his work is quite praised, not so much for his detective stories, but more for his apologetic studies upon catholicism and his puns. His pamphlets and sketches upon his fellow citizens are priceless though.

Did you read him? Why on earth he's he so obscure in the UK an US? It it because he converted to catholicism? Does he have some kind of bad reputation over there?

• 11 years later...

I have read two of his novels: The Man Who Was Thursday and The Napoleon of Notting Hill. Both were mad. I read his Father Brown detective stories. They were like Sherlock Holmes, but not quite so good. He would be in big demand today for his plots. He would be great at writing scripts for Doctor Who for instance. He was a good poet. I especially like his Rolling English Road. He seems to have had a bit of a problem writing women. I get the impression he felt he did not understand them, despite being a married man. His Christianity is very apparent. Chesterton is still popular in the more religious parts of the USA because of his faith.