The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

BookJumper

In regards to the movie Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy I to have seen the movie and not read the book, but I have found that after watching a movie based on a book and the reading said book it just dosen't cut it for example I watched "Interview with a vampier" then read the book I prefer the movie anyday as I really couldn't get into the book, it took me weeks to read it which is stange for me when I can read a book in 1 - 3 days depending how thick they are. But it is up to you.

first book is great but I did find that the books after did start to gradually get worse

I thought that too, it seemed to me that as the books went on Adams got bored with them.

I do think this book is similar to Terry Pratchett's style of humour. Unfortunately I don't like either.

However my husband's favourite book of all time is Hitchhiker's so go figure.

I will say he really doesn't read many books though. Maybe 4 a year if that.

• 4 weeks later...

Read it and listen to the radio series even watch the TV series but put the film behind you.

Great advice here! The books are fantastic - especially the first four in the five-part "trilogy" - the radio series is excellent and works slightly better than the TV series. The film was very disappointing.

In his earlier books I found Adams' writing style to be very precise - almost as if every word in every sentence had been meticulously thought about and measured. I think that might be why he became very famous for missing his publishing deadlines. One of my favourite quotes of his is "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly past." :lol:

• 1 month later...

KindleWorm - Adams himself admitted that he revised and re-revised his wording, with plenty of help from his editors! I think he was something of a perfectionist when it came to comedic literary timing! He's said that his first drafts often were rough with only the idea of the joke contained in them. So, very nicely observed on your part. :)

Oh I hope you do read it Hayley , or see the TV series. In it's time it was so different and original, that (in my opinion) I think it changed a lot of popular sci fi that came after, for instance I see bits of the Hitchiker universe in Red Dwarf and even The Fifth Element and the film Galaxy Quest.

I don't think it will ruin the film for you.

KindleWorm - Adams himself admitted that he revised and re-revised his wording, with plenty of help from his editors! I think he was something of a perfectionist when it came to comedic literary timing! He's said that his first drafts often were rough with only the idea of the joke contained in them. So, very nicely observed on your part. :)

That's interesting to note! His perfectionism is evident... although I did find the later books less and less particular in this regard. Still thoroughly entertaining though. I work with someone who is exactly like Marvin the Paranoid Android!! I told him the other day the problem is he has a brain the size of a planet - I think he just took it as a compliment though :giggle2:

Oh I hope you do read it Hayley , or see the TV series. In it's time it was so different and original, that (in my opinion) I think it changed a lot of popular sci fi that came after, for instance I see bits of the Hitchiker universe in Red Dwarf and even The Fifth Element and the film Galaxy Quest.

I don't think it will ruin the film for you.

Totally agree with the influence on Red Dwarf - especially the first two series and the books that went alongside them... the idea of the absurdity of the cosmos and our place in it as humans rings true for both :)

• 4 months later...

saw the series when I was young then read the books when I was about 11, I did like them but I think I was too young to appreciate them fully. I have been meaning to re-read them for a while but with so many books that I have never read before then they just get pushed back :(.

I remember seeing the film at the cinema, it was a good laugh but doesn't measure up to the TV series. Alan Rickman and Sam Rockwell are great as usual but didn't think much of Martin Freeman or Mos Def who managed to ruin all of Ford's lines by muttering them under his breath.

I remember meeting the original TV series cast about 5 years ago which was fantastic!

Still haven't listened to the radio series all the way through... being trying to get hold of it for a while now.

• 8 months later...

Read it! It's a brilliant book, full of humour and interesting ideas. Plus there's a whole series of the books so you can enjoy them for much longer than just the movie. The film is good, but nowhere near as good as the book.

The very very nice peopleat Book People delivered my Hitchikers Guide radio series (plus the other bits I just happened to order :D ) today. I will be seeking out my cd walkman so I can dive into them this week.

Raven, you are wonderful for having shared your knowledge of this offer. :wub:

^ I just realised I got the wrong end of the stick - I thought you were saying you had already bought them from somewhere else for £25.00!

My copy turned up today as well, along with two additional copies I got for two other people in the office (they paid!).

• 1 month later...

You will find that the original radio series, the TV series, the books and the movie all differ widely in their interpretation of the story. If you can stay free of the old "Wasn't like the original!" horrors, each is entertaining and hysterically funny in its own right. Personally I think the original TV series was the best, so shoot me down for that!

Mac.