BookJumper

To rhyme or not to rhyme...?

That is the question. That is to say, do you prefer poetry to rhyme, or would you rather it didn't, or aren't you really that bothered either way?

Personally I much prefer poetry that is rhymed - I find that being subjected to formal constraints focuses the mind of the poet and brings forth better versification. There are of course exceptions; Walt Whitman's poetry doesn't rhyme yet I consider him a genius. Still, an exceptional genius: most unrhymed, unmetered poetry looks to me like chopped up prose.

Any thoughts?

Good question, Guilia. Hmmm...I like either one, although my favorite poems are all rhyming ones. When it comes to poems that don't rhyme, they have to be very well written and thought out. I think there's a bigger temptation for poets who don't rhyme to get carried away with the idea of "stream of conciousness" writing, which often turns affected in the hands of an untalented poet.

I prefer it when poems rhyme. I love all poetry but I really enjoy reading it aloud if it has a structure and rhyming pattern. :D I'm a big fan of William Blake's poetry.

I'm un-decided. In a way I like poetry to rhyme, but I think it has its limitations, if that makes sense. I still think you can have a good poem, without the need for rhyme. Like I said.. I don't mind.

Well, my husband writes poetry and it rhymes....but it has an interesting meter..a twist...that I love love love.

But he's often...not understood. LOL. Poor guy.

I love John Donne and Maya Angelou so I'm not sure I can say I love one over another.

I always feel that rhymed poetry is more set and plain with its words. With poety that doesn't rhyme, you are free to experiment with your words more! I don't mind poetry that rhymes but I prefer it if it doesn't :welcomebcf:

No preference. If the rhythm works, and the words speak to me, then whether it rhymes or not doesn't come into it.:welcomebcf:

I'd say I prefer poetry to rhyme, but that's only cuz I haven't encountered many striking poems in my lifetime, and most of them are unrhymed and choppy. But the importance is in the overall structure of the poem, I'd say, rather than just rhyming or otherwise.

I like poems both ways, but rhyming poetry is more fun to read, I think. :D

I'll take poems anyway they come. If the flow of the poem works there's no need to have it rhyming. Having said that I do find it easier to memorize rhyming poems though.