The Library Nook

Airframe by Michael Crichton- shall I carry on?

I am currently part way through this books and just wanted peoples opinion about whether to continue. I have read Crichton's books before and don't mind the technical detail but this book I am just getting a bit *whispers* bored of it. I never usually give up on a book and so feel really bad which is why I am posting! Can anyone tell me whether it is worth it in the end?

As I can't give up on a book I struggled through to the end - first time ever I gave a book 1/10, and that was for being Michael Crichton ;)

See I rarely do give up on books and I am so confused lol! I think its because we have been packing up the flat for the move and it has made me aware of how many books I have and how I need to start being more selective perhaps?

I definitely need to start being more selective - we live in a 3 bedroom bungalow just now - the only room that has less than 1000 books in it is the bathroom!

My friend has started her '50 page rule' - if it's still bad after 50 pages give it up. I guess I should try that too ;)

That's a plan! The 50 page rule, I like it! I can always try and reread again in the future. That happened to me with Wuthering Heights, the first time I tried to read it I hated it and so put it down but when I tried again a few years later I loved it!

Airframe gets better, believe me, and it has a great ending! Don't give up on it!

I love Michael Crichton - will happily admit I like The Andromeda Strain, Eaters of the Dead, Westworld and even Timeline but not Airframe ;)

It's a bit contorted and, as with most of his books, irritating if you know anything about the subject matter because he tends to get the technical details just slightly wrong. Witness "The Andromeda Strain" where, at the beginning of chapter 4, he uses a binary code and gets it back to front. I'd give up! His new one, "Next" is rather better.

Timeline was good...except they kept cutting peoples heads off.

i'm reading it too.... and it's just.... boring.... I really loved Michael Crichton.. but this one is veerryyy slooow....and.... boring... i'm not sure i want to finish it.. but... well...