Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Kell

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the film was beautifully done, I did read the book several months prior to seeing it though, so I suppose some details were already fading. I know it wasn't exactly on target, but I thought it caught the character and ambiance of the book well.

I still haven't gotten to read Geisha of Gion, but at least it's in the stack. :icon_eek:

• 10 months later...

I read this a few years ago and sorta recently watched the movie. Throughout the book I always just kept hoping that

she'd fall in love with that other guy - cant remember his name now - with the face IDK but thats almost all I remember is feeling bad for the one guy because he seemed to really care for her and rescued her and she couldn't love him!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Eliza1

I loved this book. The movie follows the book really closely too which doesn't often happen in my opinion , so I enjoyed the film just as much.

Both the movie and book were brilliant. It is amazing to me that it was written by a man and he was able to capture the torments and trial of the Geisha lifestyle. Wonderful job Mr. Golden. And kudos to the film's photographer. Beautiful

Both the movie and book were brilliant. It is amazing to me that it was written by a man and he was able to capture the torments and trial of the Geisha lifestyle. Wonderful job Mr. Golden. And kudos to the film's photographer. Beautiful

Yes the film's cinematography was pure poetry. The movie was criticized for having Chinese actors play the main roles of the geisha (Ziyi zhang, michelle yeoh, Gong Li) and that the script should have used the Japanese language and had english subtitles to make it more attuned to the setting of the story, (like Passion of Christ for example). But You know, its Hollywood. They always have to consider commercial appeal.