Sign in to follow this  
muggle not

Muggle Not's Reading - 2022

I am really off to a slow reading start in 2022. I have been binge watching too much TV. I watched all 7 seasons of Longmire and all 3 seasons of Yellowstone in 2022 plus some other stuff. :) I watch TV like I read books. If I find an author that I like I usually devour his/her works.

1.       As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner - 5/5

2.       Sooley – John Grisham – 4/5

3.       Pachinko – Min Jin Lee – 4.5/5 – I was surprised at how much I didn’t know of that era and the relationship between Japan and Korea. Great epic read.

4.      The Short Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens – Charles Dickens – Didn’t finish the book. Stooped reading after about 20%.Just couldn’t get into it.

5.      Later – Stephen King – 4/5

6.      The Big Sleep (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler – 4/5 – I really enjoy the Phil Marlowe Series books.  For me, it is easy to identify the era that the books were written. Raymond Chandler’s use of words is interesting.

7.      Farewell, My Lovely (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler

8.      The High Window (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler - CURRENTLY READING

That's a lot better than me, Muggles, I'm only onto my third book.

I've been binge watching Foyle's War when I get a chance (like you I'll watch a series back to back if I really like it).

22 hours ago, poppy said:

That's a lot better than me, Muggles, I'm only onto my third book.

I've been binge watching Foyle's War when I get a chance (like you I'll watch a series back to back if I really like it).

What Network is Foyle's War on. I started watching "Theodosia" tonight on HBO Max. It reminds me of Flavia de Luce. ;)

5 hours ago, muggle not said:

What Network is Foyle's War on. I started watching "Theodosia" tonight on HBO Max. It reminds me of Flavia de Luce. ;)

I think it was originally on Netflix but I've found it on YouTube and I'm casting it to the TV. It has Greek subtitles underneath which is a little annoying but it's SUCH a good series, I think you'd like it Muggles.

I'll definitely look out for Theodosia if it's anything like Flavia!:wub: (it's time Alan Bradley wrote another one!)

7 hours ago, poppy said:

I think it was originally on Netflix but I've found it on YouTube and I'm casting it to the TV. It has Greek subtitles underneath which is a little annoying but it's SUCH a good series, I think you'd like it Muggles.

I'll definitely look out for Theodosia if it's anything like Flavia!:wub: (it's time Alan Bradley wrote another one!)

Theodosia is, more or less, a  new (2022) YA type TV Series. I have watched 2 episodes (30 min ea.) and am enjoying it.

Theodosia (TV Series 2022– ) - IMDb

On 15/03/2022 at 2:50 PM, muggle not said:

I am really off to a slow reading start in 2022.

You’ve read more than me! 

As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner - 5/5

I really want to re-read this. I had to read it really quickly to study it years ago and I definitely don’t feel like I got to appreciate it. Although I will always remember the student who was really confused half way through because they thought it was about horses (we had the vintage classics edition with a horse on the cover :lol:). 

The Short Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens – Charles Dickens – Didn’t finish the book. Stooped reading after about 20%.Just couldn’t get into it.

Which of the stories did you read? 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:26 PM, Hayley said:

You’ve read more than me! 

:)

I really want to re-read this. I had to read it really quickly to study it years ago and I definitely don’t feel like I got to appreciate it. Although I will always remember the student who was really confused half way through because they thought it was about horses (we had the vintage classics edition with a horse on the cover :lol:). 

I really enjoy Faulkner's writing. It would be worth a re-read I believe. I need to read more of his works. 

Which of the stories did you read?  

It was the first 2 0r 3 in the book, don't really remember now what they were. I can't believe that I didn't enjoy them as Dickens is one of my favorite Authors.

Edited by muggle not

1.       As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner - 5/5

2.       Sooley – John Grisham – 4/5

3.       Pachinko – Min Jin Lee – 4.5/5 – I was surprised at how much I didn’t know of that era and the relationship between Japan and Korea. Great epic read.

4.      The Short Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens – Charles Dickens – Didn’t finish the book. Stooped reading after about 20%.Just couldn’t get into it.

5.      Later – Stephen King – 4/5

6.      The Big Sleep (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler – 4/5 – I really enjoy the Phil Marlowe Series books.  For me, it is easy to identify the era that the books were written. Raymond Chandler’s use of words is interesting.

7.      Farewell, My Lovely (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler 4/5

8.      The High Window (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler - 4/5

9       Lady In the lake (Phil Marlowe Series) - Raymond Chandler - 4/5

10.    Judge's List - John Grisham - 4/5 - good read about a Judge who was a serial killer.

On 3/29/2022 at 7:24 PM, muggle not said:

1.       As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner - 5/5

2.       Sooley – John Grisham – 4/5

3.       Pachinko – Min Jin Lee – 4.5/5 – I was surprised at how much I didn’t know of that era and the relationship between Japan and Korea. Great epic read.

4.      The Short Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens – Charles Dickens – Didn’t finish the book. Stooped reading after about 20%.Just couldn’t get into it.

5.      Later – Stephen King – 4/5

6.      The Big Sleep (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler – 4/5 – I really enjoy the Phil Marlowe Series books.  For me, it is easy to identify the era that the books were written. Raymond Chandler’s use of words is interesting.

7.      Farewell, My Lovely (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler 4/5

8.      The High Window (Phil Marlowe Series) – Raymond Chandler - 4/5

9       Lady In the lake (Phil Marlowe Series) - Raymond Chandler - 4/5

10.    Judge's List - John Grisham - 4/5 - good read about a Judge who was a serial killer.

11. Mercy (book 4 of 4 of the Atlee Pine series) - David Baldacci - 4/5 -

from Amazon: For her entire life, FBI agent Atlee Pine has been searching for her twin sister, Mercy, who was abducted at the age of six and never seen again. Mercy’s disappearance left behind a damaged family that later shattered beyond repair when Atlee’s parents inexplicably abandoned her.

I really liked the conclusion of what has been a very good series by Baldacci. It is too bad that we don't have people like Atlee Pine in real life. :)

Edited by muggle not

12. The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner - 5/5 - Not much I can say. The book is superb but definitely not a read for everyone. The first 50% of the book is an extremely difficult read but for some it becomes very rewarding by the end. I will need to re-read it at some point to better understand the book. The prose is outstanding.

13. Midnight Riot (Book 1 of Rivers of London series) - Ben Aaronovitch - 4/5 - Good read. I very much enjoyed the book, especially Beverly Brook. She is an interesting character. I hope there is more of her in future books. 

muggle not, I do enjoy Raymond Chandler. I find it easy to settle into his books, and his descriptive turn of phrase is truly wonderful at times.

You enjoyed the first Rivers of London novel? I'm so glad. I have really enjoyed them. I will be interested to 'hear' your thoughts on them as you read on. 

On 5/10/2022 at 5:58 AM, Madeleine said:

Don't worry, Beverly is a regular character!

Thanks, I do enjoy the Beverly Brook character. She adds a lot to the story.

6 hours ago, Chrissy said:

muggle not, I do enjoy Raymond Chandler. I find it easy to settle into his books, and his descriptive turn of phrase is truly wonderful at times.

You enjoyed the first Rivers of London novel? I'm so glad. I have really enjoyed them. I will be interested to 'hear' your thoughts on them as you read on. 

You hit the nail on the head. Raymond Chandler's books are easy to settle into. The more of his works I read the more I enjoy them. I love his phrasing from the 40's. The current book "Sisters" is really good so far.