Plot holes

KEV67

I think I found a plot hole in the Jack Reacher I am reading. It is a plot hole in the subplot, not the major plot. It does not invalidate the whole story, but I will dock it a star on Goodreads. Plot holes in detective fiction are probably the most serious. Saying that, some plots are so complicated, I never guess who did it, so I doubt I would have detected the plot hole. I never guessed who the guilty person was when an Agatha Christie was on the telly. 

Plot holes seem to abound in everything if you look hard enough! I will pass on your Agatha Christie plots,as I have a lifelong aversion to her books since I was more or less forced to read a few of them as a yoof! I am convinced that she had no idea 'whodunnit' herself, and that she arrived at he denoument and simply went 'dip dip dip...' to select the killer and the motive!

On 1/14/2022 at 1:40 PM, KEV67 said:

I never guessed who the guilty person was when an Agatha Christie was on the telly. 

My experience of Christie novels and watching Poirot etc. is that you generally don't have enough information to identify the killer yourself by the end of the story - Christie always arranges it so that the detective either has some special insight or has found out something via an off-page/screen enquiry that is only revealed at the end.