willoyd

Willoyd's Read Around The World

As June said in the first post of her trip round the world's nations, I've been thinking about this for some time.  Given that I've only just reached the half-way point of my Tour of the USA, it's probably a bit precipitate to start  a new challenge, but I think I can handle too, and having seen June complete her journey recently, I'm inspired to get going on mine, so two challenges it is!

In terms of places I've decided to start with:

+ the 195 countries recognised by the United Nations (including 2 non-members: Palestine and the Vatican City);

+.including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Kosovo

+ allocating 2 slots to Russia, one for its presence in Europe (Russia) and the other in Asia (Siberia)

+ one for Antarctica, as the only continent not otherwise included

which takes me to 200, a good starting point, although that may well change as things progress.

As for criteria in choosing each book, I'm going for aims rather than rules, simply because I suspect, from reading others' challenges, it would be nigh on impossible to find books which I can read (eg most will need to be available in translation) that satisfy similar conditions to those I used in my Tour of the USA.  So, my main aim is to read an example of adult literature set in the country with an author born in or a citizen of that country (or resident as next best) - books regarded as 'classics' (modern or older) preferred. I will generally go for fiction,but, again unlike my Tour of the USA, non-fiction is allowed; it may even, on occasions, be preferred if I think it gives more insight into the country and/or its literature. A late resort would be a book about the country written by someone who is neither from nor a resident (eg, a history of...).  As well, whichever 'criteria' are satisfied, it will have to be a book I haven't read before.- this is about expanding my literary experience after all!

To keep posts manageable, I'm splitting countries up by continents in the checklists below: Europe; Africa; Asia; North America; South America and Oceania/Antarctica.  Books in blue are those that have been read.  Books in black are suggestions.

Read to date:  0 / 200

Edited by willoyd

Europe (0/46)

Albania:  Broken April / Chronicle in Stone - Ismail Kadare (1978/1971)

Andorra:  The Teacher of Cheops - Albert Salvado (2012)

Austria:  The Exiles' Return - Elizabeth de Waal (2013); The Tobacconist - Robert Seethaler (2012); Peter Handke, Beware of Pity - Stefan Zweig (1939)

Belarus:  King Stakh's Wild Hunt - Uladzimir Karatkevich (1964), Svetlana Alexievich (NF), Alindarka's Children - Alhierld Bakharevich (2014)

Belgium:  The Sorrow of Belgium - Hugo Claus (1983)

Bosnia and Hezorgovina: The Bridge on the Drina - Ivo Andric (1945)

Bulgaria: Under The Yoke - Ivan Vazov (1893), Bai Ganyo - Aleko Konstantinov (1895), East of the West - Miroslav Penkov (2011, shorts), Auto da Fe - Elias Canetti (1935)

Croatia:  Our Man in Iraq - Robert Perisic (2011), The Ministry of Pain/Baba Yaga Laid An Egg - Dubravka Ugresic (2004/2007)

Cyprus:  Margarita's Husband - Andriana Ierodiaconou (2007?), Ledra Street - Nora Nadjarian (2006 shorts)

Czech Republic:  Closely Watched Trains - Bohumil Hrabel (1965), The Good Soldier Svejk - Jaroslave Hasek (1921-3)

Denmark  A History of Danish Dreams - Peter Hoeg (1988); We The Drowned - Carsten Jensen (2006), The Angelic Avengers - Isak Dinesen (1946)

Estonia:  The Autumn Ball - Mati Unt (1979), Border State - Tonu Onepalu (1993), Treading Air - Jaan Kross

Finland:  The True Deceiver - Tove Jansson (1982)

France:  Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (1862); La Curee - Emile Zola (1872); Life, A User's Manual - Georges Perec (1978)

Germany:  The Tin Drum - Gunter Grass (1959); Buddenbrooks - Thomas Mann (1901)

Greece:  The Murderess - Alexandros Papadiamantis, The Scapegoat - Sophia Nikolaidou, Why I Killed My Best Friend - Amanda Michalopoulou, Zorba the Greek/Report to Greco - Nikos Kazantzakis

Hungary:  The Door - Magda Szabo (1987)

Iceland:  Independent People - Halldor Laxness (1934)

Ireland:  The Country Girls - Edna O'Brien, The Last September - Elizabeth Bowen, Love and Summer/others - William Trevor, Dubliners - James Joyce

Italy:  The Leopard - Giuseppe di Lampedusa (1958); The Garden of the Finzi-Continis - Giorgio Bassani (1962)

Kosovo:  How To Be A Kosovo Bride - Naomi Hamill (2017)

Latvia:  The Book of Riga - various (shorts), Flesh-Coloured Dominoes - Zigmunds Skujins (2014)

Liechtenstein: Die letzte Reise der Hindenburg - Armin Ohri (2016); Stamping Grounds - Charlie Connolly (2002 - nonfiction).

Lithuania:  White Shroud - Antanas Skema, Tula - Jurgis Kuncinas, Vilnius Poker - Ricardas Gavelis, The Last Book Smuggler - Birute Putrius

Luxembourg: The Pleasure of Drowning - Jean Burlesk (2019)

Malta:  In the Name of the Father (and of the Son) - Immanuel Mifsud, Children Come By Ship/others - Oliver Friggieri

Moldova:  The Good Life Elsewhere - Vladimir Lorchenkov (2008)

Monaco: Making Monte Carlo - Mark Braude (NF)

Montenegro: The Son/The Coming - Andrej Nikolaidis

Netherlands: The Dark Room of Domocles - Willem Hermans, The Assault / The Discovery of Heaven - Harry Mulisch, The Evenings - Gerard Reve

North Macedonia:  My Husband - Rumena Buzarovska (2014, shorts)

Norway:  The Ice Palace / The Birds - Tarjei Vesaas (1963/1957)

Poland: Flights / Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead - Olga Tokarczuk (2017/2009), The Issa Valley - Cselaw Milosz (1955).  Isaac Bashevis Singer, Nobody Leaves - Ryszard Kapuscinski (1962, NF)

Portugal:  All The Names / The Stone Raft / The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis by Jose Saramago (1980s)

Romania: Nostalgia - Mircea Cartarescu (1989), Life Begins On Friday - Iona Parvulescu (2009)

Russia:  Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1866);  Life and Fate - Vasily Grossman (1980)

San Marino:  The Republic of San Marino - Giuseppe Rossi (c1990)

Serbia:  The Tiger's Wife - Tea Obreht

Slovakia: Rivers of Babylon - Peter Pistanek, Night Circus and other stories - Ursula Kovalyk (2004, shorts)

Slovenia:  Alamut - Vladimir Bartol, The Harvest of Chronos - Mojca Kumerdej (2018)

Spain:  Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes; Nada - Carmen Laforet (1944)

Sweden:  The Red Room / The People of Hemso - August Strindberg (1879/1887); To Cook A Bear - Mikael Niemi (2017); The Saga of Gosta Berling - Selma Lagerlof (1891)

Switzerland:  I Am Not Stiller - Max Frisch (1954). The Assistant - Robert Walser (1908)

Ukraine: The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov, Voroshilovgrad - Serhiy Zhadan (2009)

United Kingdom:  The Expedition of Humphry Clinker - Tobias Smollett (1771); The Good Companions - JB Priestley (1929)

Vatican City:  When In Rome: A Journal of Life in Vatican City - Robert Hutchinson (1998, memoir)

Edited by willoyd

Africa (0/54)

Algeria:  What the Day Owes the Night - Yasmina Khadra (2008); Fantasia - Assia Djebar (1985)

Angola: Transparent City - Ondjaki (2021), The Book of Chameleons - Jose Eduardo Agualusa (2004)

Benin: books by Florent Couao-Zotti (in French)

Botswana:  A Question of Power - Bessie Head (1973)

Burkina Faso: The Parachute Drop - Nobert Zongo

Burundi

Cameroon

Cape Verde:  The Last Will and Testament of Senhor da Silva Araujo - Germano Almeida (1988)

Central African Republic

Chad

Cormoros

Congo, DR:  Before the Birth of the Moon - Valentin Y Mudimbe (1976)

Congo, Rep:  Broken Glass - Alain Mabanckou (2005)

Cote d'Ivoire

Djibouti

Egypt: Palace Walk (Cairo Trilogy v1) - Naguib Mahfouz (1956)

Equatorial Guinea

Eritrea

Eswatini

Ethiopia

Gabon

Gambia

Ghana:  Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi (2016); The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born - Ayi Kwei Armah; Search Sweet Country - Kojo Laing (1986)

Guinea

Guinea-Bissau

Kenya: A Grain of Wheat / The River Between - Ngugi wa Thiongo'o (1967/65)

Lesotho:  Traveller To The East - Thomas Mofolo (1906)

Liberia

Libya:  The Bleeding of the Stone - Ibrahim al-Koni (2002); In the Country of Men - Hisham Matar (2006)

Madagascar

Malawi

Mali: The Fortunes of Wangrin - Amadou Hampate Ba

Mauritania

Mauritius

Morocco

Mozambique

Namibia

Niger

Nigeria:  Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe (1958)

Rwanda

Sao Tome and Principe:  Equator - Miguel Sousa Tavares (2009)

Senegal:  So Long A Letter - Mariama Ba (1979)

Seychelles

Sierra Leone:  The Last Harmattan of Alusine Dunbar - Syl Cheney-Choker

Somalia:  Crossbones / From A Cracked Rib - Nuruddin Farah (2011/1970)

South Africa:  The Promise - Damon Galgut (2021)

South Sudan

Sudan:  Season of Migration to the North - Tayeb Salih (1966)

Tanzania

Togo

Tunisia

Uganda:  Kintu - Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi (2014)

Zambia:  The Old Drift - Namwali Serpell (2019)

Zimbabwe:  The House of Hunger - Dambudzo Marechera (1978)

Edited by willoyd

Asia (0/50)

Afghanistan:  The Patience Stone / Earth and Ashes - Atiq Rahimi (2008/2002); The Wasted Vigil - Nadeem Aslam (2008)

Armenia:  Three Apples Fell From The Sky - Narine Abgaryan (2015)

Azerbaijan:  Ali and Nino - Kurban Said (1937), Days in the Caucasus - Banine (1945)

Bahrain

Bangladesh

Bhutan

Brunei

Cambodia

China:  The Garlic Ballads - Mo Yan (1988)

Georgia:  Flight From The USSR (Jeans Generation) - Dato Turashvili (2008)

Hong Kong

India:  A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry; The God of Small Things - Rohinton Mistry

Indonesia:  The Earth of Mankind - Pramoedya Ananta Toer (1980)

Iran:  Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi (NF), Touba and the Meaning of Night - Shahrnush Parsipur

Iraq

Israel

Japan:  Snow Country - Yasunari Kawabata (1937); Kobo Abe, Shusaka Endo

Jordan

Kazakhstan

Korea, North:  The Accusation - Bandi (2014)

Korea, South

Kuwait

Kyrgyzstan:  Jamilia / The White Ship - Chinghiz Aitmatov (1958/1970)

Laos

Lebanon: The Prophet - Khali Gibran

Malaysia

Maldives

Mongolia

Myanmar

Nepal

Oman

Pakistan:  Basti - Intizar Husain (1979), The Wandering Falcon - Jamil Ahmad (2011)

Palestine

Philippines

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Siberia:  Dreams of My Russian Summer / The Archipelago of Another Life - Andrei Makine (1995/2016), A Dream in Polar Fog - Yuri Rytkheu (1970)

Singapore

Sri Lanka

Syria

Tajikistan:  Hurramabad - Andrei Volos (2000)

Taiwan

Thailand

Timor-Leste:  Eyewitness - Seno Ajidarma (1994)

Turkey:  Orhan Pamuk

Turkmenistan: The Tale of Aypi - AK Welsapar, Unknown Sands - John Knopf (memoir)

UAE

Uzbekistan: Heirs to the Great Sinner San'On - Erkin A'zam (2010)

Vietnam

Yemen

Edited by willoyd

North America  (0/23)

Antigua and Barbuda:  Annie John - Jamaica Kincaid

Bahamas

Barbados:  In the Castle of My Skin - George Lamming

Belize

Canada: Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood; short story collection by Alice Munro

Costa Rica

Cuba

Dominica:  Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys

Dominican Republic: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz

El Salvador

Grenada

Guatemala:  The President - Miguel Angel Asturias

Haiti:  The Dew Breaker - Edwidge Danticat

Honduras

Jamaica:  Augustown - Kai Miller (2016)

Mexico:  Down the Rabbit Hole / Quesadillas - Juan Pablo Villalobos; The Death of Artemio Cruz - Carlos Fuentes

Nicaragua

Panama

St Kitts and Nevis

St Lucia

St Vincent and Grenadines

Trinidad and  Tobago:  A House for Mr Biswas - VS Naipaul; The White Woman on the Green Bicycle - Monique Roffey

United States:  The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck; Beloved - Toni Morrison

Edited by willoyd

South America  (0/12)

Argentina:  The Tango Singer - Tomas Eloy Martinez

Bolivia

Brazil:  The Violent Land - Jorge Amado

Chile:  The House of Spirits - Isabel Allende

Colombia: One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Ecuador

Guyana

Paraguay

Peru:  Red April - Santiago Roncagliolo; book by Maria Vargas Llosa

Suriname

Uruguay:  Who Among Us / The Truce - Mario Benedetti

Venezuala

Oceania and Antarctica (0/15)

Antarctica:  Antarctic Navigation -Elizabeth Arthur

Australia: Oscar and Lucinda - Peter Carey; Cloudstreet - Tim Winton; Voss - Patrick White

Fiji

Kiribati

Marshall Is

Micronesia

Nauru

New Zealand:  Owls Do Cry - Janet Frame; Potiki - Patricia Grace (Maori)

Palau

Papua NG

Samoa

Solomon Is

Tonga:  Tales of the Tikongs - Epeli Hau'ofa

Tuvalu

Vanuatu

Edited by willoyd