Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Reading Slowly, Carefully and Deliberately

Recommended Posts

Weren't most 19th century books serialised with endless cliff hangers? I think we're in danger of romanticisng that particular century. 

 

For me, it's entirely about personal taste. I've read things others have apparently loved and found them turgid. And loved books others have found hard going. Then there's the mood you happen to be in. Then there's the writing style. Then there's the format. I gave up reading books on kindle, for example, because I felt like I was missing something. 

 

That being said, I rarely give up on books even if I'm not enjoying them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hux said:

Weren't most 19th century books serialised with endless cliff hangers? I think we're in danger of romanticisng that particular century. 

 I think they were

 

5 hours ago, Hux said:

For me, it's entirely about personal taste. I've read things others have apparently loved and found them turgid. And loved books others have found hard going. Then there's the mood you happen to be in. Then there's the writing style. Then there's the format. I gave up reading books on kindle, for example, because I felt like I was missing something. 

 

Personal taste is everything, I think. Mostly always in the mood for reading, like different styles of writing - I must have variety in what I read. I don't like reading on Kindle either, not sure why though, I think that the screen is too small so yeah, I probably thought that I was missing something.  That and the fact that it took 3 hours to charge it and only lasted a week (the way I read). 

 

5 hours ago, Hux said:

That being said, I rarely give up on books even if I'm not enjoying them.

 

I cannot read a book that I'm not enjoying. My life is too short. That doesn't mean that I give up easily and I do enjoy struggling with something I think is worthwhile but if I just don't like it, it's gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×