Newbie’s advice request

Hi,

i never read a lot in my life before and recently, motivated by all the benefits of reading, as a part of my new year’s resolution i told myself that i wanna read at least 1 book a month, and so far so good; it’s been only a week and already, i read a total of over 200 pages of 2 different books and had lots of fun doing it (not at first of course. First 2 days were torture).

This is however where difficulties have started sneaking in, namely: i’ve noticed that the more i read the harder for me it is to focus and my text comprehension dwindles vehemently.

now, as a frequent gamer and social media user, i do know not to expect gold from my attention span but what worried me is that while at first my attention span was extending and all seemed like it’s going in the right direction, now it’s getting increasingly difficult to really sit down and focus for longer periods of time. 

Do you reckon it’s to do with how extreme my measures were compared to my brain’s state and customs of an internet addict and i should just rest to let it grow right? Or do you think it may be something else? I’m dying to read your opinions

14 hours ago, TheCapitalD said:

Hi,

i never read a lot in my life before and recently, motivated by all the benefits of reading, as a part of my new year’s resolution i told myself that i wanna read at least 1 book a month, and so far so good; it’s been only a week and already, i read a total of over 200 pages of 2 different books and had lots of fun doing it (not at first of course. First 2 days were torture).

This is however where difficulties have started sneaking in, namely: i’ve noticed that the more i read the harder for me it is to focus and my text comprehension dwindles vehemently.

now, as a frequent gamer and social media user, i do know not to expect gold from my attention span but what worried me is that while at first my attention span was extending and all seemed like it’s going in the right direction, now it’s getting increasingly difficult to really sit down and focus for longer periods of time. 

Do you reckon it’s to do with how extreme my measures were compared to my brain’s state and customs of an internet addict and i should just rest to let it grow right? Or do you think it may be something else? I’m dying to read your opinions

Hello CapitalD and welcome to the board.

I may have read this the wrong way but I'd advise that you read only one book at a time, which would simplyfy matters. As for the rest, as Brian says, read in short bursts at a time and the skill will surely come. Everybody has their own way of reading and it's a case of trial and error to find yours.

As I mostly read on my Kindle these days, I ensure I have it with me whenever I am likely to have to wait around for something (dentist waiting room looming soon, for instance).

Great idea reading in the bath and I used to do that but I'd worry about dropping my Kindle now.

However, perhaps you could start with small steps, i.e. read in designated short periods and over the coming months make the times you have set aside a little longer each week until you can allow yourself at least an hour. Having some sort of drink alongside helps, I find. Life these days has so many interruptions that I make sure my phone is out of earshot. Finding a quiet place helps too.

Edited by Anna Faversham
missing punctuation!

11 minutes ago, Anna Faversham said:

As I mostly read on my Kindle these days, I ensure I have it with me whenever I am likely to have to wait around for something (dentist waiting room looming soon, for instance).

Great idea reading in the bath and I used to do that but I'd worry about dropping my Kindle now.

Someone else I know reads a Kobo in the bath. Hers is waterproof and you can buy a waterproof Kindle, should you desire. 

14 minutes ago, Anna Faversham said:

However, perhaps you could start with small steps, i.e. read in designated short periods and over the coming months make the times you have set aside a little longer each week until you can allow yourself at least an hour. Having some sort of drink alongside helps, I find. Life these days has so many interruptions that I make sure my phone is out of earshot. Finding a quiet place helps too.

I'd second that.

You could also read after you go to bed and all the distracting equipment is switched off.

Yes I agree, sounds like you might need to train yourself to read for longer periods, but as the others have said don't rush it, maybe set a short period of time to read, and then perhaps, as Anna says, try to build up to longer periods?  Best thing is not to force yourself if you don't feel like reading, don't put too much pressure on yourself, as it is something you will hopefully enjoy.

Good luck!

On 08/01/2022 at 10:04 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Hello CapitalD and welcome to the board.

I may have read this the wrong way but I'd advise that you read only one book at a time, which would simplyfy matters. As for the rest, as Brian says, read in short bursts at a time and the skill will surely come. Everybody has their own way of reading and it's a case of trial and error to find yours.

Hi luna,

Thank you all for your answers! They've all been very helpful!

I have decided that i will practise reading in bursts. I will treat it as a part of training myself to read exponentially longer everyday and see if it gets me anywhere. 

Just now, TheCapitalD said:

Hi luna,

Thank you all for your answers! They've all been very helpful!

I have decided that i will practise reading in bursts. I will treat it as a part of training myself to read exponentially longer everyday and see if it gets me anywhere. 

Sorry luna didnt mean to quote you

• 4 weeks later...