Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone use this?

 

It's an alternative to Goodreads and has a lot of analytics and whatnot to better recommend books and so on.

 

The problem I have with Goodreads is that it makes recommendations based on the most flimsy of criteria. Hey, you read a book by an Italian author so here's some more Italian authors, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a quick look though it and was rather put off by glancing through the Reading the World challenge and seeing books listed as being of that country which weren't, Where the Crawdads Sing listed for Brazil and Murder on the Orient Express for Turkey for instance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2022 at 2:37 PM, Hux said:

The problem I have with Goodreads is that it makes recommendations based on the most flimsy of criteria. Hey, you read a book by an Italian author so here's some more Italian authors, etc.

Seconded. I don’t even bother reading the recommendations any more! 
 

I’ve never used Storygraph but I just had a look and it seems good in theory!

 

On 07/01/2022 at 6:15 PM, France said:

I had a quick look though it and was rather put off by glancing through the Reading the World challenge and seeing books listed as being of that country which weren't, Where the Crawdads Sing listed for Brazil and Murder on the Orient Express for Turkey for instance.

Although this doesn’t give me high hopes for their algorithms… 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2022 at 7:32 PM, Hayley said:

Seconded. I don’t even bother reading the recommendations any more!

 

This reminds me of that time when I marked a horror book as read on GoodReads and:

 

GenreHorrorShyLittleKitten.png

 

Which made me laugh so I took a screenshot when it happened.

 

On 08/01/2022 at 7:32 PM, Hayley said:

I’ve never used Storygraph but I just had a look and it seems good in theory!

 

Although this doesn’t give me high hopes for their algorithms… 

 

I've heard good things about Storygraph from other people. No idea about algorithms though, that's not my area of specialty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the kitten grew up to be a monster?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2022 at 7:00 AM, Athena said:

This reminds me of that time when I marked a horror book as read on GoodReads and:

That’s hilarious :giggle2:

 

On 08/02/2022 at 9:55 AM, Madeleine said:

Perhaps the kitten grew up to be a monster?!

I think that’s the only explanation.

That or the person who categorised it had a really bad experience with cats :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×