Favorite Christmas Film

These are a few of the popular Christmas Films. Which is your favorite, or do you have another favorite Christmas film.

Christmas In Connecticut (1945) – Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, Sydney Greenstreet

White Christmas (1954) – Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye, Vera Ellen

Miracle On 34th Street (1947) – Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O’Hara, John Payne, Gene Lockhart, William Frawley

A Christmas Carol (1951) – Alastair Sim, Jack Warner, Kathleen Harrison

A Christmas Story (1983) – Peter Billingsley, Melinda Dillon, Darren McGavin

It’s A Wonderful Life (1946) – Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrynore

Elf (2003) – Will Ferrell, James Caan, Bob Newhart

I'm not sure I have a single favourite! Maybe, if I could narrow it down to three (in no particular order):

• Miracle on 34th Street (but it's the newer one I've seen, with Richard Attenborough as father Christmas)
  • The animated Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey as Scrooge and the soundtrack by Andrea Bocelli (which I always play while I'm wrapping presents)
  • Santa Claus: The Movie (partly because I associate it with really good memories of my Grandad, who loved Christmas, but also because I loved Father Christmas and Old Father Time in it)

That being said, I do also love Elf, Home Alone (1 and 2), The Grinch, basically all of the other adaptations of A Christmas Carol (including the Muppets one) and The Santa Claus...

I've never actually watched A Wonderful Life because I know it's supposed to be very sad!

Never really thought that I had a favourite but I simply must see A Christmas Carol in some form or another over the period. I'd rather not see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as the child catcher still terrifies me and I always like to see something biblical and preferably epic. Always love Carols At Kings so that's a must and that's about all.

I love It's a Wonderful Life and don't think it's that sad.

I love them all but these are "probably" my favorites! All three have favorite quotes in them. Can you name the quotes? :)

Miracle On 34th Street (1947) – Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O’Hara, John Payne, Gene Lockhart, William Frawley

Edited by muggle not

On 21/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I'd rather not see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as the child catcher still terrifies me

I hadn't even thought of that one as a Christmas film but you're right, it's always on at Christmas! I was also terrified by the couple who sing 'you're my little chuchy face' while doing horrible things to each other... there's just something incredibly creepy about that whole scene!

On 21/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I love It's a Wonderful Life and don't think it's that sad.

It isn't?? Maybe this is the year I should give it a try!

21 hours ago, muggle not said:

Miracle On 34th Street

I don't know the 1947 version very well, but one of my favourite funny parts of the newer one is during the trial when the attorney asks the little boy 'and why can't this man be Santa?' (meaning the lawyer) and the boy says (in, I think, a New York accent) ''cos Santa don't got a grumpy face' :lol:. I'd love to know what your favourite quote actually is from this one!

21 hours ago, muggle not said:

Hmm, I'm not sure. My favourite from A Christmas Carol is 'I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year', but I can't remember if that's in the 1951 version!

56 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I hadn't even thought of that one as a Christmas film but you're right, it's always on at Christmas! I was also terrified by the couple who sing 'you're my little chuchy face' while doing horrible things to each other... there's just something incredibly creepy about that whole scene!

And they made it for children!

57 minutes ago, Hayley said:

It isn't?? Maybe this is the year I should give it a try!

It has sad bits in it but overall it's an uplifting joyful film and James Stewart is magnificent

23 hours ago, muggle not said:

I love them all but these are "probably" my favorites! All three have favorite quotes in them. Can you name the quotes? :)

Miracle On 34th Street (1947) – Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O’Hara, John Payne, Gene Lockhart, William Frawley

If no one can guess what I consider the famous quotes I will post them on Tuesday.

btw, my niece's husband is on the Board of Directors of the Jimmy Stewart Museum in Indiana, PA

On 11/21/2021 at 5:38 PM, muggle not said:

Famous quote from movie:  I Believe, I Believe

Famous quote from movie:  Bah Humbug

Famous quote from movie: Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=every+time+a+bell+rings+an+angel+gets+his+wings&view=detail&mid=1F60E155E6B9FB157A011F60E155E6B9FB157A01&FORM=VIRE

On 22/11/2021 at 9:37 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

And they made it for children!

It's amazing that we aren't all traumatised when you think about it! 

On 22/11/2021 at 9:47 PM, muggle not said:

btw, my niece's husband is on the Board of Directors of the Jimmy Stewart Museum in Indiana, PA

That's a very cool job. I bet they have a great Christmas display at that museum!

On 23/11/2021 at 9:57 AM, Madeleine said:

The Nightmare before Christmas  -perfect antidote to all the schmaltz!  

Totally forgot about this one too! It's been years since I saw The Nightmare before Christmas, I might have to watch it again this year!

On 25/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, Madeleine said:

Trouble is, they always seem to show Nightmare.... quite late at night, which is annoying, as I forget to record it.

I've never really noticed that but I suppose it could be a bit scary for younger kids if it was on early.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2021 at 9:52 AM, Madeleine said:

The Muppet Christmas Carol is also good fun.

Oh yeah, I love that too :lol:. They should do muppet versions of all the Christmas films!

On 09/12/2021 at 2:09 PM, Raven said:

in so far as they are both films telling a story that is set at Christmas, as apposed to a film about Santa etc

He does say hohoho...

On 09/12/2021 at 11:56 PM, Virginia said:

It will ALWAYS be A Christmas Story for me!

I don't think I know that one!

• 2 weeks later...