Jump to content
lunababymoonchild

Your Book Activity - September 2021

Recommended Posts

Just bought Mosaic Crochet Workshop: Modern geometric designs for throws and accessories out on paperback 14 Sept. 2021 by Esme Crick and Pierre and Jean by Guy de Maupassant.  Also, The Asylum by Karen Coles  

 

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My reading mojo has improved, so I’ve read quite a lot during the week. Oscar de Muriel The Strings Of Murders 63% listened.

New book to read is Kindle of Mauve: How one man inverted the colour that changes the world by Simon Garfield. The title is a bit too much high drama, but mauve was the first synthetic dyestuff. Very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marie H said:

My reading mojo has improved, so I’ve read quite a lot during the week. Oscar de Muriel The Strings Of Murders 63% listened.

New book to read is Kindle of Mauve: How one man inverted the colour that changes the world by Simon Garfield. The title is a bit too much high drama, but mauve was the first synthetic dyestuff. Very interesting.


You know my thoughts on Strings of Murder, Mauve is marvellous!

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been reading books published by Dean St Press. They describe themselves as a publisher devoted to producing, uncovering  and revitalising good books. These include crime, literary and cult fiction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, poppy said:

I've been reading books published by Dean St Press. They describe themselves as a publisher devoted to producing, uncovering  and revitalising good books. These include crime, literary and cult fiction. 

Ooh, I love Dean Street Press! Usually the genre I go for is woman living in the WW2, mostly in England. DSP has some really good authors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:


You know my thoughts on Strings of Murder, Mauve is marvellous!

I'm trying to finish Strings of Murder, and it's so exciting! :exc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2021 at 1:16 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Also, The Asylum by Karen Coles

That's high on my wish list! 

 

30 minutes ago, Marie H said:

I'm trying to finish Strings of Murder, and it's so exciting! :exc:

Yay! :lol:

 

I've only got about 20 pages left of Botanical Folk Tales and I definitely want a novel, rather than more short stories, next. I might read the next Septimus Heap book :)  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently reading The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett (book 4, or 0, in the Kingsbridge series), together with a friend. We're taking the whole month to read it, just like with the earlier books in the series. I'm also reading Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty, with another friend. We read 50-ish pages a day, and should be finished in a few days. Yesterday I finished reading Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley, which I loved.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2021 at 10:28 PM, Marie H said:

Ooh, I love Dean Street Press! Usually the genre I go for is woman living in the WW2, mostly in England. DSP has some really good authors.

 

Those are my favourites too, Marie :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished my 73rd book of the year this morning, Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I thought it was ok but I have some serious reservations about it which I’ll write about in my thread later.

 

I’m currently about halfway through Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart at the moment and in truth I’m struggling with it a bit now after a promising start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brian. said:

 

I finished my 73rd book of the year this morning...

 

 

I thought about reading something today...

 

(Just wanted to join in...)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2021 at 1:17 PM, Athena said:

I'm currently reading The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett (book 4, or 0, in the Kingsbridge series), together with a friend. We're taking the whole month to read it, just like with the earlier books in the series. I'm also reading Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty, with another friend. We read 50-ish pages a day, and should be finished in a few days. Yesterday I finished reading Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley, which I loved.

 

 

I do hope you enjoy Three Wishes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Raven said:

 

I thought about reading something today...

 

(Just wanted to join in...)

 

 

I've had many days like that in recent months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2021 at 1:17 PM, Athena said:

Yesterday I finished reading Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley, which I loved.

Ooh I heard that was good. I think it also has a really pretty cover, if I remember correctly??

 

On 09/09/2021 at 1:18 PM, Brian. said:

I’m currently about halfway through Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart at the moment and in truth I’m struggling with it a bit now after a promising start. 

I have gotten the impression from other reviews that it's a bit of a love it or hate it book. 

 

17 hours ago, Raven said:

I thought about reading something today...

Thinking about reading is the next best thing to reading.

 

I have a cup of tea and I'm now going to curl up on the sofa and read Botanical Folk Tales until it's finished. Only moving for emergencies. Or, possibly, for more tea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have (finally) been kind of reading at some words! And I do actually mean it that way.

 

The struggle and accompanying anxiety were escalating, so I just made myself start reading an old favourite series. it was a real struggle, so I decided to jump about and read the chapters I had especially enjoyed. It appears to have worked, so I will be attempting a real-new-to-me-and-proper-reading-of-a-book this weekend. Wish me luck! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

The struggle and accompanying anxiety were escalating, so I just made myself start reading an old favourite series. it was a real struggle, so I decided to jump about and read the chapters I had especially enjoyed. It appears to have worked, so I will be attempting a real-new-to-me-and-proper-reading-of-a-book this weekend. Wish me luck! :)

That was a good idea! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will love the book, be totally drawn into it and have a massive reduction in anxiety :) .

 

I actually forgot how little of Botanical Folk Tales I had left, so I'm back to update on the fact that I've finished that I'm starting the next Septimus Heap book, Queste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I have (finally) been kind of reading at some words! And I do actually mean it that way.

 

The struggle and accompanying anxiety were escalating, so I just made myself start reading an old favourite series. it was a real struggle, so I decided to jump about and read the chapters I had especially enjoyed. It appears to have worked, so I will be attempting a real-new-to-me-and-proper-reading-of-a-book this weekend. Wish me luck! :)

 

Good luck, Chrissy! YOU CAN DO IT! *in Rob Schneider voice* :clapping:

(what favourite book rekindled your mojo?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2021 at 11:43 PM, Lau_Lou said:

I do hope you enjoy Three Wishes. 

 

I did, thank you :)!

 

On 9/10/2021 at 4:09 PM, Hayley said:

Ooh I heard that was good. I think it also has a really pretty cover, if I remember correctly??

 

It does have a really pretty cover! Well remembered :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought The Blind Owl (Authorized by The Sadegh Hedayat Foundation - First Translation into English Based on the Bombay Edition) Paperback – 1 Nov. 2011 by Sadegh Hedayat  (Author), Naveed Noori (Translator). I will really need to keep away from Goodreads recommendations, :-) the TBR was out of control a long time ago!

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently re-reading the 'A Horseman Riding By' trilogy by RF Delderfield. I have read most of his work, and find him an engrossing and very readable author. He seems to have slipped from the public consciousness in the past few years, yet his work is of such quality that many of his stories have been made into TV serial dramas, such as the 'Horseman' trilogy (although only the first book, and part of book two were filmed!) Diana, To Serve Them All My Days,Come Home Charlie and Face them etc. Mostly done by the BBC but the one that escaped to ITV was 'The Avenue Stories' two books chronicling the lives of ordinary folk in a London suburb, which was filmed and shown as 'People Like Us'. Absolutely wonderful stuff (IMO) and for me, knocks many more celebrated writers, into a cocked hat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×