Jump to content
KEV67

Anyone read Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir?

Recommended Posts

I noticed this had come out when reading an article in The Telegraph about books that have come out in 2021. The reviewer had a literary bent, so only gave it 3 stars, but said it was difficult to put down. I looked it up on GoodReads and it has an average score of 4.57 from 49,204 reviews. That is about the highest score I've come across. A sci-fi booktuber I follow (someone who has a YouTube channel discussing books) gave it five stars. I did like The Martian. Apart from the Martian storm that caused the rocket crew to take off and leave protagonist behind, the science was very strong. The characterization: I wouldn't say it was complex. I don't think the protagonist suffered many dark nights of the soul. He'd be too tired for a start. He'd wake up in the morning, ready for another sixteen hours' problem solving, then go to sleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. I have read him described as a more intelligent Robinson Crusoe. I identified more with Robinson Crusoe. Robinson Crusoe spent a long time hollowing out a tree trunk in the forest to make a canoe, figuring he'd work out how to get it to the shore later. When he finished it, he couldn't get it to the shore. That's the sort of thing I might do, but Andy Weir's Martian definitely wouldn't. I hear his other book, Artemis, set on the moon, was not as good, but his latest book, Project Hail Mary, is back to his best. It sounds like it will definitely be made into a film before too long, so I should probably read it.

Edited by KEV67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard great things of Project Hail Mary too (now I wonder who the BookTuber is that you follow, I'm a BookTuber myself and follow a whole bunch of other BookTubers. Was it Daniel Greene? He is one of the bigger BookTubers who talks about adult science-fiction). I would like to read it too, I'm waiting for a medium-size paperback release. I loved The Martian, so I think/hope I will love this one as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Athena said:

I have heard great things of Project Hail Mary too (now I wonder who the BookTuber is that you follow, I'm a BookTuber myself and follow a whole bunch of other BookTubers. Was it Daniel Greene? He is one of the bigger BookTubers who talks about adult science-fiction). I would like to read it too, I'm waiting for a medium-size paperback release. I loved The Martian, so I think/hope I will love this one as well.

 

No, it was Becky M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KEV67 said:

No, it was Becky M.

 

I will check the channel out, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been looking for the book in the shops, but I can't even find it in hardback form yet. That high GoodReads score might be down to fans who pre-ordered a copy.

 

I hear the protagonist in Project Hail Mary is very like Mark Watney in The Martian, only de does not use profanity, as he is a school teacher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been checking the bookshops all year for this and I can't find a copy. Come the new year I will order one online 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting fed up waiting for this book to appear in the bookshops. Why is it taking so long?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure I've seen the hardback in Waterstones (though not recently). 

 

Paperback's out in October.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KEV67 said:

I am getting fed up waiting for this book to appear in the bookshops. Why is it taking so long?

 

As far as I know, the hardback came out 4 May 2021 and the paperback 6 Oct 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder whether it being held back to coincide with the film release. I will be annoyed if it is. I could read Artemis in the meantime, but it is not supposed to be as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that always irritated me about The Martian was that the Martian sand storm that made the crew take off and leave Mark Watney behind was not scientifically possible. Andy Weir admitted it himself, but could not think of a better plot device. Later on in the book there is a Martian sand storm and Mark Watney hardly notices. Well, I thought of a better contrivance on the train to work today: There is a comet or asteroid heading for Earth. There is a 99.9% chance it will miss, but 0.1% x 7 billion people is still 7 million people's worth of risk, so the POTUS orders the crew to take off and nudge the comet/asteroid out the way. I don't know why they had to leave Mark Watney behind, but that's a detail. I watched Andy Weir on YouTube say that while he was publishing his book online, readers would give him feedback, saying what bits of technology were feasible or infeasible. Do you think it's too late to make my suggestion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×