KEV67

Anyone read Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir?

I noticed this had come out when reading an article in The Telegraph about books that have come out in 2021. The reviewer had a literary bent, so only gave it 3 stars, but said it was difficult to put down. I looked it up on GoodReads and it has an average score of 4.57 from 49,204 reviews. That is about the highest score I've come across. A sci-fi booktuber I follow (someone who has a YouTube channel discussing books) gave it five stars. I did like The Martian. Apart from the Martian storm that caused the rocket crew to take off and leave protagonist behind, the science was very strong. The characterization: I wouldn't say it was complex. I don't think the protagonist suffered many dark nights of the soul. He'd be too tired for a start. He'd wake up in the morning, ready for another sixteen hours' problem solving, then go to sleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. I have read him described as a more intelligent Robinson Crusoe. I identified more with Robinson Crusoe. Robinson Crusoe spent a long time hollowing out a tree trunk in the forest to make a canoe, figuring he'd work out how to get it to the shore later. When he finished it, he couldn't get it to the shore. That's the sort of thing I might do, but Andy Weir's Martian definitely wouldn't. I hear his other book, Artemis, set on the moon, was not as good, but his latest book, Project Hail Mary, is back to his best. It sounds like it will definitely be made into a film before too long, so I should probably read it.

Edited by KEV67

I have heard great things of Project Hail Mary too (now I wonder who the BookTuber is that you follow, I'm a BookTuber myself and follow a whole bunch of other BookTubers. Was it Daniel Greene? He is one of the bigger BookTubers who talks about adult science-fiction). I would like to read it too, I'm waiting for a medium-size paperback release. I loved The Martian, so I think/hope I will love this one as well.

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I have heard great things of Project Hail Mary too (now I wonder who the BookTuber is that you follow, I'm a BookTuber myself and follow a whole bunch of other BookTubers. Was it Daniel Greene? He is one of the bigger BookTubers who talks about adult science-fiction). I would like to read it too, I'm waiting for a medium-size paperback release. I loved The Martian, so I think/hope I will love this one as well.

No, it was Becky M.

19 hours ago, KEV67 said:

No, it was Becky M.

I will check the channel out, thanks!

I have been looking for the book in the shops, but I can't even find it in hardback form yet. That high GoodReads score might be down to fans who pre-ordered a copy.

I hear the protagonist in Project Hail Mary is very like Mark Watney in The Martian, only de does not use profanity, as he is a school teacher.