Sign in to follow this  
Hayley

2021 Updates and Improvements

15 hours ago, Raven said:

(what I am saying is we've all got preconceived ideas about how a forum should work that other potential new members probably won't have - unless they too are used to other forum boards).

I personally think the biggest hurdle to attracting and retaining new members isn't how the forum itself is structured, or how and where people make posts, it is how quickly we can make new members feel a part of the forum without them feeling like they are intruding into a clique.

I think that statement which I stuck in bold hits the nail on the head. When BCF closed for a while I went looking for another forum but none of them ever stuck with me because I was so used to the layout here. They weren't better or worse, just different and that was enough to put me off. The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that I don't post a huge amount. I've been a member for 11 years and my post count is only about 2500 which works out to be 230ish post a year. I think part of this is due to the thing which links us all, which is books.

Reading is a slow process and although we all love books, we read different things so it takes time for our opinions to form. I read pretty much every new post on here (with the exception of the games forum) and although I would like to reply more often to people's book posts I don't because I haven't read the book. This isn't something that we can 'fix' as such and apart from somehow attracting more members to keep the topics posted moving it will be hard to improve. It is a sad fact that internet forums just aren't as popular as they used to be.

With regards to the personal blogs vs individual topics debate I can see the benefits of both. Even though I have always just posted in my blog in the past I think I'll start posting individual topics for books that I think merit further discussion as well.

On 05/05/2021 at 7:34 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

We welcome new comers and tell them to post on any thread that they feel like because it does re-start the conversation. That has happened and it's been great.

When they post their introduction?

On 06/05/2021 at 12:02 AM, Raven said:

I personally think the biggest hurdle to attracting and retaining new members isn't how the forum itself is structured, or how and where people make posts, it is how quickly we can make new members feel a part of the forum without them feeling like they are intruding into a clique. 

I'm not sure how we go about addressing that...

Yes, I think I agree with that. We do get a lot of traffic from guests who don't end up staying. 

Were it possible, I suspect the most valuable feedback we could get would be from people who have joined, posted a few times, but subsequently decided the forum isn't for them.

I also agree with this but people might get scared if I start chasing them when they leave :giggle2:.

As an aside - a suggestion for when the forum has moved to Invision - would be to e-mail all former forum members to tell them about the upgrade and to invite them back - not sure how easy that is or what the likely take up would be...

... I have a funny story for you at a future date. And that's all I'm saying about that for now :lol:

On 06/05/2021 at 3:30 PM, Brian. said:

Reading is a slow process and although we all love books, we read different things so it takes time for our opinions to form. I read pretty much every new post on here (with the exception of the games forum) and although I would like to reply more often to people's book posts I don't because I haven't read the book. This isn't something that we can 'fix' as such and apart from somehow attracting more members to keep the topics posted moving it will be hard to improve. It is a sad fact that internet forums just aren't as popular as they used to be.

This is a very good point. I don't really have anything to add, but it's always worth remembering that some things are just the nature of a book forum (and forums at this moment in time).

On 06/05/2021 at 3:30 PM, Brian. said:

With regards to the personal blogs vs individual topics debate I can see the benefits of both. Even though I have always just posted in my blog in the past I think I'll start posting individual topics for books that I think merit further discussion as well.

I think it is in exactly this way that the mix of ideas would work. 

Hayley, I think one thing that may have previously put some people off staying (and it's something you DON’T do), is coming down very hard on new members who have posted in the wrong thread or broken some minor rule. I've always found you very welcoming and kindly courteous and that goes a long way towards making people want to hang around :hug:

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

When they post their introduction?

Most don't see the introduction part they just post somewhere and we encourage them to continue to do so

Well, on BGO we welcome newcomers wherever their first post might be, but direct them to the 'introductions' thread, and suggest that they post a little about themselves there.

Or maybe i ought to say "used to", as it's nearly the end of the road

9 hours ago, poppy said:

Hayley, I think one thing that may have previously put some people off staying (and it's something you DON’T do), is coming down very hard on new members who have posted in the wrong thread or broken some minor rule. I've always found you very welcoming and kindly courteous and that goes a long way towards making people want to hang around :hug:

I'm pleased to hear that is no longer happening. 

Moving misplaced posts for newbies, or the confused, was one of the 'housekeeping' jobs that i kept an eye on over on the 'other 'board ;). It's hardly an onerous task, and keeps the board tidy without upsetting anyone.

13 hours ago, poppy said:

Aww, thank you :hug:

4 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Well, on BGO we welcome newcomers wherever their first post might be, but direct them to the 'introductions' thread, and suggest that they post a little about themselves there.

Ok, so then in that first introduction you just sort of tell them 'feel free to revive old threads'?

4 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Or maybe i ought to say "used to", as it's nearly the end of the road

:( I know your situation is much different than ours was but if you think there's any chance that a moderator might be able to take over BGO I'd be happy to talk about what we had to do for that here. You probably already thought of this but maybe you could get your current admin to send you copy of the files and databases, so if one of you was in a position to run the forum in the future you could just restore the site as it is now? That way BGO wouldn't really be gone, it would always be there if someone could put it back online. 

Thank you, Hayley, for that offer.

A small spark of hope has been ignited today. One of the admins who had been hoping we could avoid closure, has now said he is prepared to take over and keep it going, at least for another year, if there is enough interest. The outgoing admin has offered her support with the technicalities, so that has lifted the spirits of us hangers-on :)

5 hours ago, Hayley said:

Ok, so then in that first introduction you just sort of tell them 'feel free to revive old threads'?

Yes, that has usually been part of the welcoming conversation

9 minutes ago, megustaleer said:

A small spark of hope has been ignited today. One of the admins who had been hoping we could avoid closure, has now said he is prepared to take over and keep it going, at least for another year, if there is enough interest. The outgoing admin has offered her support with the technicalities, so that has lifted the spirits of us hangers-on :)

Yay! That's excellent news! I hope you'll still pop in to see us though :lol:

On 5/8/2021 at 7:44 PM, megustaleer said:

I honestly hope it works out for you all - I know what it is like to lose a forum you have invested a lot of time in and I don't envy anyone going through the same process.

Set up a Patreon account and get willing members to contribute! (if finances are the concern!).

But...

Do stick around here as well, if you feel so inclined! 

10 hours ago, Raven said:

I honestly hope it works out for you all - I know what it is like to lose a forum you have invested a lot of time in and I don't envy anyone going through the same process.

Set up a Patreon account and get willing members to contribute! (if finances are the concern!).

But...

Do stick around here as well, if you feel so inclined! 

Thank you for that and I will still be here, I won't forget the warm welcome and the fact that you took me in when I had nowhere else to go.

I can only second Raven's post and sentiments, especially his but! * :yes:

:)

*(one 't', Raven before you pass comment!) 

3 hours ago, Chrissy said:

...especially his but! * :yes:

Easy...

3 hours ago, Chrissy said:

*(one 't', Raven before you pass comment!) 

Still went there...