Your Book Activity - May 2021

• Brian. pinned this topic

I have just finished Does My Bum Look Big In This? By Arabella Weir.

Absolutely terrible, I am not sure if anyone in real life thinks or acts like the main character in this, I get people have insecurities but this was a joke.

My next read will be The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. 

I finished Flyte by Angie Sage but still can't decide whether I want to read the next book in the series straight away or something completely different! 

17 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

My next read will be The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. 

My sister loved that book :) 

Reading manga The Apothecary Diaries, Vol. 1 by Natsu Hyuuga, and 

Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 6 by Tomohito Oda. Both are with nice storylines and super-cute illustrations. 🙂

23 hours ago, Brian. said:

I finished with The English Patient which I really struggled to get on with and I’m starting Yorkshire Shepherdess by Amanda Owen.

I found The English Patient pretty unreadable as well, if I hadn't seen the film I wouldn't have had the faintest idea what was going on.

4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I found The English Patient pretty unreadable as well, if I hadn't seen the film I wouldn't have had the faintest idea what was going on.

I'm so happy someone else feels that was. It almost felt like a fever dream while I was reading it where what is happening is just out of grasp.

On 06/05/2021 at 9:07 AM, poppy said:

Just finished Amos Towles A Gentleman in Moscow, which was excellent and started Lies, Damned Lies and History, Jodi Taylor's 7th book in the Chronicles of St Mary's series. Always a lot of madcap fun.

Lies, Damned Lies and History was my favourite of the Chronicles. Jodi produced incredible plot lines, and whole of the crews at Mary’s have to be at least slightly bonkers to cope with “investigate major historical events in contemporary time” 😁

13 hours ago, Marie H said:

Lies, Damned Lies and History was my favourite of the Chronicles. Jodi produced incredible plot lines, and whole of the crews at Mary’s have to be at least slightly bonkers to cope with “investigate major historical events in contemporary time” 😁

But don't dare call it 'Time travel'! :mrgreen:

21 hours ago, Marie H said:

When I read this one, it was only afterwards that I realised just how much had been included in the book. The interweaving plot lines were brilliant, but there was no skimming over the history bits in any way. I love how the series compels me to read further on a subject. I spent some time looking up (among other bits) Caroline of Brunswick, and Arminus and the battle in Teutoburg Forest. 

8 hours ago, poppy said:

If you do, go hide in a pod! :lol:

23 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I love how the series compels me to read further on a subject. I spent some time looking up (among other bits) Caroline of Brunswick ...

Chrissy, I had to look her up too! She sounds a very interesting character. There have been books written about her so I may get round to reading one in the future.

On 08/05/2021 at 12:06 AM, poppy said:

I wouldn’t dare….😁

Listening Audible House of Trelawney by Hannah Rothschild again.
Started listening sometime last year, but the characters seemed unreal, so I only managed 20% then. Now I’ve got into it; though the characters are still too flighty, for me. The style of the book is very like Nancy Mitford’s The Pursuit of Love and Dodie Smith’s I Captured the Castle, with bohemian and impoverished families in crumbling castle/estate. But in the present time.

Edited by Marie H
Typo error

I am currently reading The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens and enjoying the book on my kindle although I am only 15% into the book. This is a very long book. Charles Dickens is one of my top two favorite  authors. I got the book on Amazon for free. Unfortunately I must put the book aside as two books, Daylight by David Baldacci and A Time For Mercy by John Grisham, have come available for me at the same time in our North Carolina digital library. I have had both books on hold for about 3 months. I have downloaded the David Baldacci book and will return the John Grisham book and the library will keep my hold position as next in line after a weeks time. Good things come in bunches. :)

16 hours ago, Marie H said:

Listening Audible House of Trelawney by Hannah Rothschild again.
Started listening sometime last year, but the characters seemed unreal, so I only managed 20% then. Now I’ve got into it; though the characters are still too flighty, for me. The style of the book is very like Nancy Mitford’s The Pursuit of Love and Dodie Smith’s I Captured the Castle, with bohemian and impoverished families in crumbling castle/estate. But in the present time.

I loved both those books so will look this one up, Marie.

9 hours ago, muggle not said:

I am currently reading The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens and enjoying the book on my kindle although I am only 15% into the book. This is a very long book. Charles Dickens is one of my top two favorite  authors. I got the book on Amazon for free. Unfortunately I must put the book aside as two books, Daylight by David Baldacci and A Time For Mercy by John Grisham, have come available for me at the same time in our North Carolina digital library. I have had both books on hold for about 3 months. I have downloaded the David Baldacci book and will return the John Grisham book and the library will keep my hold position as next in line after a weeks time. Good things come in bunches. :)

I'm currently enjoying it in paperback and, as far as I can make out, am about 30% in. Fortunately I can keep reading it until I'm finished - 748 pages in my copy!

On 5/10/2021 at 4:42 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm currently enjoying it in paperback and, as far as I can make out, am about 30% in. Fortunately I can keep reading it until I'm finished - 748 pages in my copy!

Curious, do you prefer hard copy over kindle?

I finished "Daylight" by David Baldacci. Give it a 4. This is #3 of the Atlee Pine books in a short 4 book series. Book 4 will be released in November. I enjoy Atlee Pine, she kicks butt,  and hope Baldacci puts her in another of his book series when this one is complete.

I declined the John Grisham book as I found out it was a E Book but not a kindle.

Now I am back reading the Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. I am amazed at how well Dickens uses words and descriptions in his writing even in this his first book. btw, The Pickwick Papers was free on Amazon in the kindle edition.

11 hours ago, muggle not said:

Curious, do you prefer hard copy over kindle?

I finished "Daylight" by David Baldacci. Give it a 4. This is #3 of the Atlee Pine books in a short 4 book series. Book 4 will be released in November. I enjoy Atlee Pine, she kicks butt,  and hope Baldacci puts her in another of his book series when this one is complete.

I declined the John Grisham book as I found out it was a E Book but not a kindle.

Now I am back reading the Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. I am amazed at how well Dickens uses words and descriptions in his writing even in this his first book. btw, The Pickwick Papers was free on Amazon in the kindle edition.

Yes, I prefer the hard copy over Kindle. I do have many Kindle books however and some books that I want to read are only available in Kindle so I do use it. I'm loving The Pickwick Papers though and don't mind that it's a chunky paperback. I'm reading that even although I have Charles Dickens complete works on Kindle (The paperback gave me a list of characters which I found useful). 

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Yes, I prefer the hard copy over Kindle. I do have many Kindle books however and some books that I want to read are only available in Kindle so I do use it. I'm loving The Pickwick Papers though and don't mind that it's a chunky paperback. I'm reading that even although I have Charles Dickens complete works on Kindle (The paperback gave me a list of characters which I found useful). 

kudos to you.

Great idea. I will have to look at getting the complete works of Charles Dickens for my kindle.

I love my kindle and get almost all my books from the library at no cost. It is also so convenient to just electronically download the book to the kindle.

22 minutes ago, muggle not said:

kudos to you.

Great idea. I will have to look at getting the complete works of Charles Dickens for my kindle.

I love my kindle and get almost all my books from the library at no cost. It is also so convenient to just electronically download the book to the kindle.

I bought an Amazon Fire tablet because it was easier than my 10” tablet to hold for reading and I did actually buy a Kindle book whilst reading the paperback because I thought that the type was a little small in the paperback. I just prefer the hard copy most of the time.

The Complete Works of Charles Dickens Kindle that I bought was 49p, could not resist that! I do love the instantaneous download of Kindle books and Project Gutenberg has loads available for free (that you can keep), so it has broadened my reading experience.

On 10/05/2021 at 9:09 AM, poppy said:

I loved both those books so will look this one up, Marie.

Both a wonderful, and House of Trelawney is improving well.

On 03/05/2021 at 4:08 PM, Hayley said:

I finished Flyte by Angie Sage but still can't decide whether I want to read the next book in the series straight away or something completely different! 

My sister loved that book :) 

I am really enjoying it :)

It is going slowly as I am reading A Game Of Thrones too. 

Just finished Balzac's Pere Goriot - my first of his many books.  Took me longer than expected owing to other commitments, but a very enjoyable read, and I'll definitely read more. Also read David Bellos's Landmark series book critiquing the same book - plenty of interest.