Your Book Activity - April 2021

willoyd

On 24/04/2021 at 7:22 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

The Strings of Murder, Oscar De Muriel

I hope you're enjoying it!

I nearly read to the end of Flyte on Sunday. It was my birthday so I decided I wasn't doing any work that didn't need to be done immediately. I got into bed with only 40 pages to go... and fell asleep. 

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it tonight. I'm tempted to just carry on with the next book in the series but I have so many books on my shelf that I'm excited about (a nice problem to have!) I'm finding it hard to decide. 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I nearly read to the end of Flyte on Sunday.

Hurrah!

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

It was my birthday...

Happy Birthday!

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

... so I decided I wasn't doing any work that didn't need to be done immediately.

Always put off today what you can ignore tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I got into bed with only 40 pages to go...

Careful, this is a book forum...

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

... and fell asleep. 

Doh!

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

I hope you're enjoying it!

I nearly read to the end of Flyte on Sunday. It was my birthday so I decided I wasn't doing any work that didn't need to be done immediately. I got into bed with only 40 pages to go... and fell asleep. 

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it tonight. I'm tempted to just carry on with the next book in the series but I have so many books on my shelf that I'm excited about (a nice problem to have!) I'm finding it hard to decide. 

Hope you had a lovely birthday :smile: 🎂 

I hope you enjoyed a Happy Birthday, Hayley:flowers2: So glad to read that you are enjoying the Septimus books. 

Life was a bit bleurgh for me for a week or three, so I immersed myself in a book series. Someone (I think Hayley?) had mentioned reading the last Artemis Fowl book, and enjoying it. I knew I had the first one around somewhere, so thought I'd give it a go. I finished book 8 in the series by Eoin Colfer last might. Loved them. Inventive, funny and very well developed, I grew to love the characters over the course of the books and was sad to reach the end. They were perfect reading for my mood of late. 

Sarah Wise. 

Liberty, Lunacy, and the mad doctors in Victorian England. 

Do you know anything about Edward Davies, a London tea merchant locked up in an asylum hospital for  annoying his mother, who wanted hos tea profits? If not, read on..... 

A bit of reading spurt this week. Aside from finishing Unsheltered (Barbara Kingsolver), which I enjoyed but ultimately didn't really go anywhere very much (3 stars), I've finished:

Skylarks with Rosie (Stephen Moss) - very readable  week by week account of nature observation on the Somerset levels during the first lockdown (4 stars)

All Among the Barley (Melissa Harrison) - beautifully written novel narrating the life changing summer of a child living on a farm in Suffolk during the inter-war years - at least 5 stars.

A Very Short Introduction to Nineteenth Century Britain (Harvie & Matthew) - functional history, overall useful but reliant on the reader already knowing something of the period. Certainly no 'introduction'. 3 stars.

Vesper Flights (Helen Macdonald) - collection of nature orientated essays by the author of H is for Hawk. Superb. 6/6 stars.

On 4/28/2021 at 1:36 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens

I started reading The Pickwick Papers yesterday.

15 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Currently reading The Red Pony by John Steinbeck

My favorite author. I believe I have read all of his books.

20 hours ago, muggle not said:

I started reading The Pickwick Papers yesterday

I started reading The Pickwick Papers yesterday, love it.

20 hours ago, muggle not said:

My favorite author. I believe I have read all of his books.

I previously thought that Dickens would be too hard for me and there's only one way to find out so I read Oliver Twist and found out that it's not too hard for me.  I'm pacing myself to one book a year becasue there is a finite amount of them and I don't want to get through the canon too quickly.  I have read Bleak House, Nicholas Nickelby, A Christmas Carol and a variety of short stories, all of which I've enojoyed immensely. 

• Brian. unpinned this topic