It's Pancake Day today (16th February) 

(Taken from https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Pancake-Day/)

Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is the traditional feast day before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday. Lent – the 40 days leading up to Easter – was traditionally a time of fasting and on Shrove Tuesday, Anglo-Saxon Christians went to confession and were “shriven” (absolved from their sins). A bell would be rung to call people to confession. This came to be called the “Pancake Bell” and is still rung today.

Shrove Tuesday always falls 47 days before Easter Sunday, so the date varies from year to year and falls between February 3 and March 9. 

Shrove Tuesday was the last opportunity to use up eggs and fats before embarking on the Lenten fast and pancakes are the perfect way of using up these ingredients.

The pancake has a very long history and featured in cookery books as far back as 1439. The tradition of tossing or flipping them is almost as old: “And every man and maide doe take their turne, And tosse their Pancakes up for feare they burne.” (Pasquil’s Palin, 1619).

The ingredients for pancakes can be seen to symbolise four points of significance at this time of year:
Eggs ~ Creation
Flour ~ The staff of life
Salt ~ Wholesomeness
Milk ~ Purity

Do you have a recipe to share?

What are your topping/filling choices?

Are you a lemon and sugar only, or are you exotic and daring? 

Edited by Chrissy

Although I am married to a lemon & sugar only man, who believes anything else is criminal. I am more than happy to vary my toppings & fillings.:)

I am quite partial to savoury pancakes with mushrooms and cheese. And throw a banana at me, and I am very happy!

I came across this recipe today, for the thicker (and sweet) Scottish Pancake / Drop Scone recipe. It looks lovely, so I may have to give this a try. 

https://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/orkney-blog/drop-scones-recipe/

I do love just lemon and sugar but I treated myself to actual maple syrup this year :D

2 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I am quite partial to savoury pancakes with mushrooms and cheese.

This just made me realise that I’ve never tried savoury pancakes! 

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

I do love just lemon and sugar but I treated myself to actual maple syrup this year :D

This just made me realise that I’ve never tried savoury pancakes! 

I’m having smoked trout as the savoury pancake, but probably lemon and sugar after that. It’s hard to beat the classic lemon & sugar combo.

Sliced banana, blueberries, and maple syrup for me.

I used to love Nutella but then I made the mistake of reading the ingredients.

1 hour ago, Brian. said:

I used to love Nutella but then I made the mistake of reading the ingredients.

... I love Nutella... now I'm scared to look at the ingredients!

9 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I am quite partial to savoury pancakes with mushrooms and cheese.

Now, see, I don't get the point of that - why not just make an omelette?  All you are doing by using a pancake is wrapping a delicious filling in something with no flavour!

I like cherry pie filling and vanilla ice cream, makes me all nostalgic for Little Chefs! (I think they called it a Jubilee Pancake?)

And throw a banana at me, and I am very happy!

Second "not surprised" of the day...

17 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I came across this recipe today, for the thicker (and sweet) Scottish Pancake / Drop Scone recipe. It looks lovely, so I may have to give this a try. 

https://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/orkney-blog/drop-scones-recipe/

I've discovered how much better Scottish Pancakes/Drop scones/Pikelets/American pancakes (whatever you like to call them) turn out when you use buttermilk or plain yoghurt and baking soda in the mix. It's something scientific due to the acid of the buttermilk reacting with the baking soda which makes them very light and fluffy.

But for pancakes, my favourite is the lemon, sugar AND BUTTER topping too.

12 hours ago, Raven said:

Now, see, I don't get the point of that - why not just make an omelette?  All you are doing by using a pancake is wrapping a delicious filling in something with no flavour!

I like cherry pie filling and vanilla ice cream, makes me all nostalgic for Little Chefs! (I think they called it a Jubilee Pancake?)

Second "not surprised" of the day...

In order;

If I get the pancake right (thickness etc) Then it becomes a tasty container of the contents.

OMG I remember these! I think you're right, Jubilee Pancakes! 

And finally, OI! I caught the first 'not surprised'. Now this one! 

@Poppy, when I get around to trying these myself, I will try that. 

18 hours ago, Raven said:

*waves pack of Sainsbury’s Classic Pancakes* I don’t want an omelette!! And I can have choices!!!

*SLAMS DOOR* 

22 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Each to their own!  I don't like omelettes anyway.

Not a big fan of omelettes either actually (had a bad experience with one :hide:). I think I’d like savoury pancakes more because they’re a different texture. 

On 16/02/2021 at 7:40 PM, Raven said:

Yes! They were called jubilee pancakes and I loved them! I’d never actually thought about recreating them, I’ll have to give it a go. 

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

Yes! They were called jubilee pancakes and I loved them! I’d never actually thought about recreating them, I’ll have to give it a go. 

On 16/02/2021 at 7:40 PM, Raven said:

makes me all nostalgic for Little Chefs! (I think they called it a Jubilee Pancake?)

Oh the Jubilee Pancakes were lovely 🤤. I do miss Little Chef, as it meant the beginning of summer holiday going to Little Chef.....

5 hours ago, Marie H said:

Oh the Jubilee Pancakes were lovely 🤤. I do miss Little Chef, as it meant the beginning of summer holiday going to Little Chef.....

They remind me of holidays too :) 

On 16/02/2021 at 9:50 AM, Madeleine said:

Vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce, every time.

This is my kind of pancake! 

My partner was brought up on savoury and prefers those so I tried a ham and cheese one and to be fair was quite nice but much prefer sweet. I had one with golden syrup and one with nutella. 

I remember many (MANY) years ago going to My Old Dutch in London. It was, and still is, a pancake house that served these huge (diameter around 24 inches) sweet or savoury thin pancakes on huge blue and white plates. To me, at around 9 years old, this was not only the height of sophisticated dining, it was a revelation that grown ups used such huge plates!. :D

4 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I remember many (MANY) years ago going to My Old Dutch in London. It was, and still is, a pancake house that served these huge (diameter around 24 inches) sweet or savoury thin pancakes on huge blue and white plates. To me, at around 9 years old, this was not only the height of sophisticated dining, it was a revelation that grown ups used such huge plates!. :D

Breakfast at Chrissy's

breakie.jpg.2e8a13835b8a796cb5057307d2204471.jpg

I used to love My Old Dutch, I hope it survives the pandemic enforced closure..... I used to really like their pancake with sweetcorn.  And yes they were huge, the plates were the size of dustbin lids!  And they did really nice waffles as well, so dessert would be a waffle and ice cream!

Raven, I am running out of 'Ois!' with you! :P

4 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I used to love My Old Dutch, I hope it survives the pandemic enforced closure..... I used to really like their pancake with sweetcorn.  And yes they were huge, the plates were the size of dustbin lids!  And they did really nice waffles as well, so dessert would be a waffle and ice cream!

We weren't allowed a pud. :mellow: If I was to visit as an adult I'm sure I could manage one though! :giggle: 

WOW, I have never heard or eaten any of those type pancakes. The pancakes I make are simple buttermilk pancakes and served with some butter and pure maple syrup on them.

18 hours ago, muggle not said:

The pancakes I make are simple buttermilk pancakes and served with some butter and pure maple syrup on them.

"The Coronary"

3 hours ago, Raven said:

"The Coronary"

I have already had one of those. Do you think I can get one again. :)

But a real coronary is that plate of food you posted. :)

Edited by muggle not