Your Book Activity - February 2021

Marie H

On 19/02/2021 at 7:41 AM, k_leh said:

Currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman

better than the TV-show, haha

I've got an absolutely gorgeous Folio Society eidtion on this on my bookcase that I still haven't got around to reading. I really should change that and read it some time soon.

3 hours ago, Brian. said:

Time for me to start my next book, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I, and the rest of my book group, did (it was the subject of our last face to face meeting, which seems ever such a long time ago now!).

Just finished John Hillaby's Hillaby's London.  First three-quarters was a good read, if a bit dated at times (publ 1987), but feel he lost his way towards the end.  3/6. 

Now on to Rose Tremain's The Gustav Sonata, and Robert Harris's The Second Sleep. Tremain I'm reading because someone recommended her to me, and it was readily available in my local library, the Harris because it's a book group read - I've read several of his books before, and none have really grabbed me other than Enigma. They've been OK, but just felt lacking in depth. We'll see!

On 19/02/2021 at 7:41 AM, k_leh said:

Currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman

better than the TV-show, haha

I LOVE American Gods. I haven't seen the tv series, so can't compare, but I really enjoyed where Mr Gaiman went with this book. 

My reading mojo completely dropped away, so I am re reading a super easy read of Hunting In Bruges by EJ Stevens. A chapter here and there is keeping things ticking over with these supernatural shenanigans in Belgium. It's a spin off of sorts from Stevens Ivy Granger series of books. If you enjoy fast paced battles with evil doers and evil beings, and love an old European city to dash around, this is one to read. Little brain power required.

As I have visited Bruges a number of times, I recognised the locations - many of which I will now never go to after dark! 

On 22/02/2021 at 7:25 AM, Brian. said:

I think you’ll feel the same about Second Sleep. The underlying themes are something I’m very interested in but in the end I didn’t fee he did then justice. I hope you enjoy it nonetheless. 

That's an excellent summary.  Finished it last night and, yes, I enjoyed it - indeed gripped - but yet again it left me rather unsatisfied, especially the ending. I always enjoy reading his books, but almost invariably that bit disappoints.

Have also just finished The Gustav Sonata.  Very thought provoking.  Wish it had been a book group read, as so much that could discuss.

Just started The Mermaid of Black Conch, another group choice.  Stunning start!

Edited by willoyd

On 2/21/2021 at 10:40 PM, willoyd said:

...none have really grabbed me other than Enigma.

Enigma is a very good book, one of my favourites.  Have you seen the Dougray Scott/Kate Winslet film? It's not a bad adaptation (though they sexed it up a bit!).

I'm about halfway through A Gentleman in Moscow and so far I love it, the writing is superb and I love the Count. I had hoped to be finished by today but work has got in the way and I haven't managed much reading this week.

On 26/02/2021 at 9:38 PM, willoyd said:

Just started The Mermaid of Black Conch, another group choice.  Stunning start!

Superb read - one of the best, if not the best, in a while.  Last book that grabbed me this way was Bernardine Evaristo's Girl, Woman, Other.  An initial 5/6, but this is one that may well get upgraded. I'm attending Monique Roffey's talk at the Leeds Lit Fest (online) next Saturday, and discussing the book at book group the following week - really looking forward to both as it's a book that needs to be both talked about and thought about, but in the meantime am left still savouring its passion, colour, and enormous humanity. 

On 26/02/2021 at 10:01 PM, Raven said:

Enigma is a very good book, one of my favourites.  Have you seen the Dougray Scott/Kate Winslet film? It's not a bad adaptation (though they sexed it up a bit!).

Yes I have - good film too, even if as you said.  I wouldn't put Enigma in amongst my favourites, but it was certainly one of Harris's most satisfying reads!

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

I'm about halfway through A Gentleman in Moscow and so far I love it, the writing is superb and I love the Count. I had hoped to be finished by today but work has got in the way and I haven't managed much reading this week.

So glad you're enjoying this.  I found it wore what it said, some potentially very heavy material, very lightly.  Not quite a 'quirky' read, but pretty much unputdownable - work can be very irritating!!

• Brian. unpinned this topic