• Announcements

• Hayley

Downtime for Updates   01/26/2021

The forum is going to be offline while our new hosts backup and update the site. We'll be back soon and you can check our twitter (@bookclubforum) or the patreon page ( bookclubforum.co.uk is creating a book community | Patreon ) for updates.   See you all soon!  

The Awakening and other stories by Kate Chopin

I only heard of this writer recently,  watching a you tube video of lesser known Victoria era writers. Kate Chopin was from the New Orleans area and her writing is now considered to be an early example of feminist writing. 

The main story (The Awakening) was her only novel. Poor reviews at the time discouraged her from writing more and she concentrated on short fiction after that 

I enjoyed it. I can see why it shocked the sensibilities of contemporary readers and critics. A woman described as having similar sexual desires to a man. Some of the other short stories didn't always hit the mark for me, but the writing is beautiful and you get a real sense of both the beauty of the New Orleon area and her attachment to it. The story Desiree's baby is particularly good. 

Of course, given the age and locale of these stories there

Are some outdated racial words throughout. 

Over all 4 out of 5