Jump to content
willoyd

Problem with editor

Recommended Posts

I've tried several times to insert a link into a post, using the link tool.  Every time I get  message saying 'unable to load content". Same if I try to edit links in my signature.  Any advice please?

Edited by willoyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'm trying to

(a) link from my new reading blog to a page on the old one

(b)  link from my signature to my new reading blog

(c) link from the first post on my reading blog to other posts within the same thread.

 

All three do the same thing.

I've just found the thread on Forum updates, and I think it's Athena who says that she can't embed links into her posts - is that the same issue?

 

Edited by willoyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've come across this as well and it applies to both forum and external links.

 

You cannot use your own text as a link, but if you paste a link into your post/signature it does work (it's not pretty, but you can update it again after the pending forum update/move).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, willoyd said:

All three do the same thing.

I've just found the thread on Forum updates, and I think it's Athena who says that she can't embed links into her posts - is that the same issue?

 

Yes, it is the same issue.

 

6 hours ago, Raven said:

You cannot use your own text as a link, but if you paste a link into your post/signature it does work (it's not pretty, but you can update it again after the pending forum update/move).

 

Yep, it should be fixed after the forum update/move. Good luck Hayley!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, exactly as Raven and Athena said. The links will work if you paste them into the new thread, they just don’t look as neat as when they’re embedded. It’s a problem that developed when we bought the site back online from it’s backup. I’m still not really sure if it’s an issue in the code or just using an old version of the forum software, but either way Invision will be able to fix it for us.  
I’m just waiting for an email back about when we can go ahead with the move!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the problem I've had with link button not working, I am unable to edit my profile.

I didn't put much, if any, personal detail down when I joined, 10 or so,  years agobut if I did it will be way out of date now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Apart from the problem I've had with link button not working, I am unable to edit my profile.

I didn't put much, if any, personal detail down when I joined, 10 or so,  years agobut if I did it will be way out of date now

 

Sorry about that. What happened when you tried to edit it? I've just checked it with my own profile and it did work for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that is very weird. Are you getting slow loading when you try to post? Or does everything else seem fine apart from your profile page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, loading posts  is a bit slow.

 I don't have particularly good broadband - 1960s house with concrete block walls & WiFi doesn't like it. Generally it's either slow on all sites at the same time or good on all, but  the problems I'm having here seem pretty consistent.

I am comparing it with BGO, which is also hosted by Invision, so I am familiar with the way it works (I find loading posts there difficult sometimes) - I've tried accessing my profile over there and not had a problem.

Of course, being a mod over there means I have access to things I can't access here, but that shouldn't affect my ability to edit my own profile. Odd !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've sorted the profile editor.! 

It was Safari - my default browser, it has been playing up a lot recently, but I keep forgetting that and blaming my dodgy broadband. Just tried Chrome, and got into my profile straight away. 

I'll try that next time I want to add a link somewhere. Sorry for causing you aggravation, I'm sure you've got enough to deal with here without my internet problems adding complications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, megustaleer said:

I've sorted the profile editor.! 

It was Safari - my default browser, it has been playing up a lot recently, but I keep forgetting that and blaming my dodgy broadband. Just tried Chrome, and got into my profile straight away. 

I'll try that next time I want to add a link somewhere. Sorry for causing you aggravation, I'm sure you've got enough to deal with here without my internet problems adding complications.

Yay! Safari has been misbehaving for me too today actually but I use it on my phone and just thought it was that being stupid. The link issue isn't to do with your browser though, we do have a problem with them at the moment, it's one of the things I need Invision to look into but they can't do it until we're properly moved over to them. You can post the links but they won't be embedded, so they don't look as nice.  We did have some slow loading issues around the same time the link problem appeared (which still happen on occasion now) which is what I was thinking of when I asked about how the forum was loading generally for you. On the positive side, we've finally made some good progress towards moving to Invision over the weekend, so hopefully it won't be much longer before we can iron out all these annoying issues!

There's really no need to apologise, I'd much rather people let me know as soon as they notice a problem, just in case it indicates a more serious issue. If it turns out to be something simple that's even better :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hayley said:

 it's one of the things I need Invision to look into but they can't do it until we're properly moved over to them.

Are you dealing with Stuart? He has been really helpful to BGO, especially when David, our beloved Administrator died and the mods had to take over at short notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Are you dealing with Stuart? He has been really helpful to BGO, especially when David, our beloved Administrator died and the mods had to take over at short notice.

No, I’ve been talking to Marc and Lindy but they have been great.
I didn’t realise that happened at BGO, and I’m so sorry to hear it. If there are memorial posts or anything you’d like to keep please do feel free to move them over here before BGO closes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's very kind. There are plans to archive as much as possible, but it is early days yet and although we are aiming to close in June there is a lot to be done first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×