Athena

What Are You Watching Now? - 2021

I’ve finally watched the last season of Homeland. I enjoyed the season and I like the way the ending was done. I think they was the show has developed over the years is to be applauded, especially with the way they have handled the nuances of terrorism. 

Finished The Expanse, last night. 

The 5th season certainly upped the stakes, but at the same time it was oddly flat (a comment that can be levelled at the whole show, at times). 

I had a good look at the nominations listed for the show today and realised that they are mainly technical (special effects/sound editing etc) or for specific episodes, but it did win the Dragon award last year for best Science Fiction or Fantasy series and it gets very high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes (I'm not 100% sure why they are so high, I would rate the series at 3.5/4 out of 5 at best).

There is at least one more series to come (Amazon are making he 6th, but no more, and the writers and production company making it are looking at how to continue after that) so I will have to see how it goes from here.

Monday night quiz night on BBC 2; Mastermind followed by Only Connect and University Challenge.

I was interested to find I know as much about Middle Earth as I do about Bond Villains.

The Orville

Found this on Disney+ a few weeks back and have watched both series through.

I must be getting older, or more picky (or both) or the quality of TV series must be dropping, because I'm finding it hard to find a series I can enjoy consistently these days.

Take this show; it's basically a Star Trek: The Next Generation parody, but it is also trying to do series stuff at the same time, which gives mixed results. 

I enjoyed the first few episodes of season one more than I thought I would, but the second series wasn't as good, with episodes that basically elevated the "b" plots from Next Gen episodes to main story lines.  The cast is good, the stories are well written, but there is no consistency and it feels like it is just missing a certain something that would take it to the next level.

If you really like TNG, you will probably find parts of this entertaining, but it is basically Star Trek for people who don't like change (and the occasional knob joke).

Star Trek: Lower Decks, which I have been enjoying, makes a better fist of parodying Star Trek.

I finished watching the Final Season (4) of Goliath on Amazon last night. I enjoyed all 4 seasons. Billy Bob Thornton played his part well I thought. Season 4 was about Opioids.

I've been watching John Mortimer's Paradise Postponed from 1986. Includes some excellent actors ... Michael Hordern, Annette Crosbie, Zoe Wanamaker and a favourite of mine, Richard Vernon.