Jump to content
Athena

What Are You Watching Now? - 2021

Recommended Posts

A couple of things I have been watching recently , but which have now finished:

Our Yorkshire Farm. In my younger days, back in the late sixties, early seventies I used to have a daydream of myself becoming the 'earth-mother' type, with a large family, growing our own food, keeping livestock etc. This series showed just how had that kind of life can be. Admittedly, I had a smallholding in mind, not vast areas of remote Yorkshire moorland, but it has been interesting, and enjoyable to see how the family worked together and supported each other.  Mr meg couldn't get his head around the size of the family, and had to count all nine children at the start of each episode. 

 

 I've always enjoyed a crime series - although not so much these days , as modern ones are far too dark for my taste. The Pact , which finished on Tuesday was intriguing. A group of women played a prank on the rather unpleasant owner of the small brewery where they worked. When the man was found dead the following morning they thought he might have had a heart attack and agreed together to say nothing.  As ever, keeping the secret lead to any number of revelations about them and their lives, and about their employer, and the various twists and turns had me gripped and intrigued, not just about the death, but about the lives and the secrets of all the people involved.

 

Now they are finished nothing else has caught my eye, except for a run of an old (2017) "Landscape Artist of The Year" competition on Sky Arts.  At the moment it is on every morning, just in time for a cup of tea and a break from the gardening!  I've watched a couple previous series of it though the various stages of the pandemic, and also "Portrait Artist of the Year". I would be happy to watch that seven days a week all year long!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Artist series on Sky, so fascinating to see the different styles and how the paintings gradually emerge.

 

I enjoyed The Pact, loads of plotholes but generally well acted and certainly lots of twists.  Innocent was also good, which was on a few weeks ago.  I also enjoyed Mare of Easttown, Kate Winslet was excellent.

 

currently trying to work out what I think of The Nevers, which is possibly the craziest thing on TV at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, megustaleer said:

 

 

 

Now they are finished nothing else has caught my eye, except for a run of an old (2017) "Landscape Artist of The Year" competition on Sky Arts.  At the moment it is on every morning, just in time for a cup of tea and a break from the gardening!  I've watched a couple previous series of it though the various stages of the pandemic, and also "Portrait Artist of the Year". I would be happy to watch that seven days a week all year long!

 

 

I watched the last series of Landscape Painter of the Year, and the Canadian version that followed on, and enjoyed both. 

 

Not the same things at all, but have you been watching Bob Ross on BBC Four?

 

I've also been watching the Great British Photography Challenge on BBC Four (Mondays, 9pm), which has been interesting but I'm not getting as much out of it as I had hoped!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all caught up in Roland Garros (tennis) just now having not seen any last year. Have also been watching the snooker when that was on. I also like darts and carpet bowls - can be a lot more exciting than it sounds. I'm partial to Australian Rules football when I can get it but not seen any in years.

 

We - my father and I - are following Murdoch Mysteries just now and I like The Great British Sewing Bee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Raven said:

 

Not the same things at all, but have you been watching Bob Ross on BBC Four?

 

The Bob Ross programmes were watched regularly by Mr meg last year, but I quickly became bored by them.  As you say, it's not the same thing at all as the "Artist of the Year" programmes.

 I did find his biography, shown some time last year, very interesting, but watching him produce what I find rather formulaic pictures, evening after evening, has lost its fascination for me. Even Mr meg only watches occasionally nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I like The Great British Sewing Bee.

I am enjoying watching TGBSB. I think I have watched every series.

Apart from the competition element of it, and the garments they produce each week, I am amazed at the way dressmaking has changed since I bought my first sewing machine with money I saved from my Saturday job in C&A. 

My current machine is nearly 50 years old, and is not capable (or maybe I'm not) of handling many of the modern materials, and the idea of cutting out using weights not pins to hold the fabric seems quite foolhardy to me.

There is some very skilful work being done at this stage in the competition.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m watching the Roland Garros French tennis, though I haven’t actually watched a whole match yet :rolleyes:. Also watching the highlights of French cycling Critérium du Dauphiné.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Raven said:

Not the same things at all, but have you been watching Bob Ross on BBC Four?


I do enjoy this from time to time but like Meg there is only so much that I can take. I do enjoy landscape and portrait artist of the year but again, from time to time.

 

11 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I am enjoying watching TGBSB. I think I have watched every series.

Apart from the competition element of it, and the garments they produce each week, I am amazed at the way dressmaking has changed since I bought my first sewing machine with money I saved from my Saturday job in C&A. 

My current machine is nearly 50 years old, and is not capable (or maybe I'm not) of handling many of the modern materials, and the idea of cutting out using weights not pins to hold the fabric seems quite foolhardy to me.

There is some very skilful work being done at this stage in the competition.


I see sewing as a chore so avoid it like the plague but this, as you say, this is fascinating.

 

21 minutes ago, Marie H said:

I’m watching the Roland Garros French tennis, though I haven’t actually watched a whole match yet :rolleyes:. Also watching the highlights of French cycling Critérium du Dauphiné.

 

I haven't seen a whole match yet either. My father hates it so I can only see it in bits and pieces but further in to the competition I will be watching more (she says!). 
 

I'm also following The Nevers and the odd episode of Botched. I should really be reading more!

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Rolland Garros final. No Nadal!

It was a shame that it wasn’t the final with Nader v Djokovic, but the semi was the best match that I’d ever seen! Spectacular!! :clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Marie H said:

It was a shame that it wasn’t the final with Nader v Djokovic, but the semi was the best match that I’d ever seen! Spectacular!! :clapping:


Yes, it was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indoor time, during the heatwave, so far watched 

The Golden Girls (the pilot episode) - Loved this before, and it very nostalgic now :)

Lokl - 1st episode - Good, though I have never seen any of the Marvin series, so I haven’t a clue any other non human characters, and their party tricks.

Moominvalley, Season 1 #1 - Lovely, lovely Moomins! :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a few years ago I bought the dvds of the 1990's UK series Drop The Dead Donkey. I discovered them in a box recently, so we have watched the first few episodes of the first series. We are both the right age to remember the topics / scandals / politicians etc covered, and have found the series has aged pretty well.

 

It made us chuckle to note how big the pcs (especially the monitors) look, they used videos, and, of course no mobile 'phones. How times have changed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was a good series.

 

I'm currently catching up with a Minette Walters TV adaptation - The Ice House, with a young , pre-Bond Daniel Craig as a detective investigating a body which turns up in yes an ice house.  It's so dated, with a phenomenal amount of smoking!  Think it was made in the late 1990s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime last week.

 

I watched the first season a couple of years back (when it was on Netflix) but didn't get more than a couple of episodes into the second season as I just didn't find it that interesting at the time. 

 

The program keeps getting very good reviews and award nominations, however, and it's now on it's fifth season, so I decided to give it another go and this time around I've found it much better. 

 

The first season is a bit of a slow burner, but it really starts to pick up in season two - I had to force myself to go to bed last night, as the cliff-hanger at the end of the latest episode was a good one!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bosch finished the 7th and final year a few months back. It is a great police type TV series, it is one of the best. It shows on Amazon Prime.

 

I have been watching an old show from BBC, "New Tricks". I am in the 3rd season now. I watch it on Amazon Prime.

Edited by muggle not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting watching all of The Golden Girls on Disney+. This will take some time, as there are 180 episodes in all! But I think it will be worth the time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr P has recently bought the complete series of West Wing, we've just gone into lockdown so he's been working his way through them. I've been watching/listening with half an ear and must admit they are very good. Great dialogue and humour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inadvertently finished the fourth season of The Expanse last night (I thought it was 13 episodes like previous 3 seasons, but it turned out to be just the 10).

 

I do like it, for the most part, but it feels like a show that is trying to punch above its weight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the first three episodes of the BBC drama Vigil yesterday afternoon. It was pretty enjoyable but the submarine really could have done with having some experts advise on it's design. The first shot of the inside showed an impossibly wide corridor space and the radio panels look like sets from WWII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian. said:

 

I watched the first three episodes of the BBC drama Vigil yesterday afternoon. It was pretty enjoyable but the submarine really could have done with having some experts advise on it's design. The first shot of the inside showed an impossibly wide corridor space and the radio panels look like sets from WWII.

 

 

I've not seen it, yet, but don't the Astute class subs have some really wide corridors? I thought I saw that in a program about the class when they were first launched...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raven said:

 

I've not seen it, yet, but don't the Astute class subs have some really wide corridors? I thought I saw that in a program about the class when they were first launched...

 


I don’t know but I’m sure they are no where near as wide parts of the sub in the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere that they weren't allowed detailed plans of a similar sub, presumably for security reasons.

 

I'm enjoying Vigil but there are some real plot holes in it, I've shouted at the screen a couple of times! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×