• Announcements

• Hayley

Moving Day Coming Soon   01/11/2021

As many of you know, we've been looking at changing hosts for a while now. This will allow us to access the tech support we need for the site and should speed up the forum as well as ironing out a few issues we've been having recently.    We are now signed up to the new hosting plan and can go ahead with the move as soon as the new hosts have everything they need (which is currently being sorted!). The forum should not be offline for more than a day during the switch and hopefully it won't even take that long. I don't have an exact time or day for the move yet but this is an early warning to expect some downtime soon.   When we are offline, no matter how briefly, you can follow the forum twitter page (@bookclubforum) for updates.  
Athena

Your Book Activity - January 2021

Wow... it's the 1rst of January here, 2021. A Happy New Year to everyone!!

:hny:

Time wise my brain is still kind of stuck in early December, even though it is most definitely January 2021 now, at least, in most of the world (just under an hour left for West Coast USA and West Canada, and a little under 2 hours for Alaska).

What are you currently reading? Or, if you're not reading any book, what will your next read be?

Happy new year! I am very determined to read more this year so I’m planning to finish my current book (Jasper Fforde - One of Our Thursdays is Missing) in the next few days :) 

Happy New Year, everyone :)

I have read Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark by Alvin Schwartz which I loved and because I am planning on reading all of Jacqueline Wilson books I have just read Lizzie Zipmouth. Not one of my favourites from her. 

I am currently reading Inside Stranger's Houses by Elizabeth Mundy. I don't really have much thought to this so far. Not much has happened so I am hoping it will pick up soon. 

Hope everyone has a great reading month of January! 

I have just finished my first book of the year (well, half of it was read today!): a reading group choice - Wake by Anna Hope. I have to admit, I took this one up reluctantly, but in one of those hoped for classic reading group twists, found that my misgivings were completely unfounded, and that this proved an excellent read. 4/5 stars out of 6.

I finished my last Heroes of Olympus (Greek & Roman gods and myths) book yesterday, the carry on series from Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series (Greek gods & myths). An enjoyable romp. 

Will be starting Jodi Taylor's annual Christmas Day short story from her Chronicles of St Mary's series. Thereafter I plan on sallying forth with Rick Riordan again, this time with his Magnus Chase Norse mythology series. Looking forward to keeping my spirits and reading mojo up and running with Riordan's enjoyable characters and pacey stories. 

Happy New Year for 2021 everyone! 

Currently reading The Masked City (The Invisible Library #2) by Genevie Cogman. 43%. 

Happy new year everyone! I'm currently reading 'A Tale of Two Cities' by Dickens. I'm not sure I've ever completed anything by him before. Hoping to start the year by rectifying that.

I'm struggling a little with getting into anything at the moment, and because of that I have 4 books on the go currently.

• American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson
  • Affluenza by Oliver James
  • Across an Angry Sea by Cedric Delves
  • The Arabian Nights by Anonymous

It's funny how reading mojo works. Since my last post I have finished 3 of the books I mentioned with only Arabian Nights still on-going. I have started a new audiobook, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, and I will probably pick up something else a bit easier to read as well.

On 02/01/2021 at 1:31 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

Happy new year everyone! I'm currently reading 'A Tale of Two Cities' by Dickens. I'm not sure I've ever completed anything by him before. Hoping to start the year by rectifying that.

Are you enjoying it so far? 

8 hours ago, Brian. said:

It's funny how reading mojo works. Since my last post I have finished 3 of the books I mentioned with only Arabian Nights still on-going. I have started a new audiobook, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, and I will probably pick up something else a bit easier to read as well.

Wow that was good going! 

I’ve finished 3 books but two of them I’d started in 2020. I’m about to start reading Hollow City by Ransom Riggs.

On 02/01/2021 at 2:31 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

I hope you enjoy A Tale of Two Cities :).

23 hours ago, Brian. said:

I have Shantaram on my TBR, I hope you like it :).

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

I’ve finished 3 books but two of them I’d started in 2020. I’m about to start reading Hollow City by Ransom Riggs.

Well done! I hope you like Hollow City :).

I'm currently re-reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, I'm liking it a lot. I'm not that far into it yet (page 130 out of 622).

17 hours ago, Hayley said:

Are you enjoying it so far? 

On the whole yes, although it's rather wordy in places with long sentences and gigantic paragraphs. Sometimes I have to reread a sentence several times because I've forgotten what it initially started saying by the time I get to the end of it! So it's taking some effort, but there are good, pacier bits as well. I'm about a quarter way in and I'm determined not to give up!

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy A Tale of Two Cities :).

Thank you :)

Edited by ~Andrea~

Happy Reading for 2021 one and all!

I have really enjoyed my romp with Magnus Chase through his Norse quests in the Rick Riordan trilogy. Nothing like a life threatening quest through myths and legends to keep my mojo happy as we enter a new year. :) 

Finished two book group reads in the past couple of days: distinctly unimpressed with both of them. First off was Man at the Helm by Nina Stibber.  'Comedy Gold' supposedly.  Dull, repetitive and all too obvious in my view. Feeling generous...2/6.  Then Body Surfing by Anita Shreve. What on earth do people see in her, if this is anything like a representative example of her writing? Trite, predictable, bland, repetitive, unengaging, and no I'm not interested in the minutiae of the colour of people's clothing, furniture or hair. 1/6.

Edited by willoyd