Read-a-thons 2021

Athena

Well I managed to surprise myself by reading the 800ish pages of Wicked Beyond Belief. I expected it to take me a few weeks but it filled my 4 day read-a-thon. Not the happiest of subjects to read about but utterly fascinating.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Brian. said:

Well I managed to surprise myself by reading the 800ish pages of Wicked Beyond Belief. I expected it to take me a few weeks but it filled my 4 day read-a-thon. Not the happiest of subjects to read about but utterly fascinating.

Wow that was good! I saw the book pop up on goodreads and I can imagine it wasn’t easy to read, although, as you say, fascinating. 

I haven’t read yet today but I’m hoping to finish What Abigail Did That Summer tonight. I think I only have about 40 pages left. That will be two books finished for the read-a-thon and I’m very happy with that :) .

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thank you! It was so delicious I had a second one :giggle2:.

Yum!

You read loads! I hope you enjoyed it :) 

I did, thank you :)!

15 hours ago, Brian. said:

Wow, that is amazing! I am glad it was a fascinating read.

14 hours ago, Hayley said:

I haven’t read yet today but I’m hoping to finish What Abigail Did That Summer tonight. I think I only have about 40 pages left. That will be two books finished for the read-a-thon and I’m very happy with that :) .

I hope you were able to finish What Abigail Did That Summer and that you had fun during this read-a-thon :).

My progress for Sunday and Monday:

Sunday

Thea Stilton - Thea Sisters 1: De drakencode (Il codice del drago) (re-read) (224 pages, illustrated children's book)

Christine Kliphuis (ill. Helen van Vliet) - De Ziekenboeg: Het Oor van Leonoor (re-read) (31 pages)

Christine Kliphuis (ill. Helen van Vliet) - De Ziekenboeg: De Kop van Jop (re-read) (31 pages)

Christine Kliphuis (ill. Helen van Vliet) - De Ziekenboeg Extra: De Epilepsie van Annemarie (re-read) (63 pages)

Christine Kliphuis (ill. Helen van Vliet) - De Ziekenboeg Extra: De ADHD van André (re-read) (I read 33 pages)

Monday

Christine Kliphuis (ill. Helen van Vliet) - De Ziekenboeg Extra: De ADHD van André (re-read) (I read 31 pages, finishing it)

Øyvind Torseter - Het Gat (Hullet) (39 pages) (picture book)

Stefan Verwey - Hoe open ik een boek (176 pages) (illustration/comic collection)

Various Authors - Strand! (393 pages) (mostly photos)

Thank you Hayley and Brian for participarting!

How was your weekend, Marie?

I hope you had a nice weekend, Raven :).

Edited by Athena

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you were able to finish What Abigail Did That Summer and that you had fun during this read-a-thon :).

I did both :lol:

21 hours ago, Raven said:

No.

You read the forum though, which we all know is the main thing.

6 hours ago, Raven said:

listening to Classic FM's annual top 300 countdown whilst doing other stuff!

I didn't know this was a thing but now I want to know what people voted for so I'm finding it on catch up.

15 minutes ago, Hayley said:

You read the forum though, which we all know is the main thing.

Don't think that counts! (I also read some magazines as well!)

15 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I didn't know this was a thing but now I want to know what people voted for so I'm finding it on catch up.

You have 48 hours of music to listen too, if you work your way through the whole thing!

5 minutes ago, Raven said:

Don't think that counts! (I also read some magazines as well!)

Magazines definitely do count!

6 minutes ago, Raven said:

You have 48 hours of music to listen too, if you work your way through the whole thing!

I accidentally skipped a bit already. I blame the fact that it's organised by presenter. I thought I had the beginning but he just said it's number 259 and I definitely haven't had it on for that long! 

5 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I accidentally skipped a bit already. I blame the fact that it's organised by presenter. I thought I had the beginning but he just said it's number 259 and I definitely haven't had it on for that long! 

That puts you just over half way through the first day.  The theme from Close Encounters should be on soon, if I remember rightly.

• 1 month later...

I've been in a bit of a reading slump the past week (because I am really not liking War and Peace, even though now I've decided to DNF it for now (though am worried about telling the people I read it with because they seem to like it.), I still feel slumpy and not really feel like reading), I only realised yesterday that it was supposed to be the read-a-thon weekend :doh:. My bad! I'm sorry for not realising it last week and then posting about it. I have re-read a couple of manga yesterday evening because it was the only thing I felt up for reading (aside my daily chapter in A Column of Fire). It's fine with me to move the read-a-thon to next weekend. I will see if I feel in the mood for more reading then, we shall see.

12 hours ago, Athena said:

even though now I've decided to DNF it for now (though am worried about telling the people I read it with because they seem to like it.)

I think quite a lot of people don't like it, it's definitely not just you! I have heard that the amount of characters can make it difficult to get into. I'm sure the people you read it with won't mind at all anyway :) .

12 hours ago, Athena said:

It's fine with me to move the read-a-thon to next weekend. I will see if I feel in the mood for more reading then, we shall see.

Don't worry about it if you're not in the mood. There'll be plenty of future read-a-thons to join :lol:

7 hours ago, Marie H said:

:o Gosh, I completely forgot the read-a-thon, so having it next week is fine for me.

Great, next week it is then! :) 

21 hours ago, Athena said:

I've been in a bit of a reading slump the past week (because I am really not liking War and Peace, even though now I've decided to DNF it for now (though am worried about telling the people I read it with because they seem to like it.), 

I did not finish War and Peace either, I thought it was boring.

18 hours ago, Marie H said:

:o Gosh, I completely forgot the read-a-thon, so having it next week is fine for me.

I look forward to it :).

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

I think quite a lot of people don't like it, it's definitely not just you! I have heard that the amount of characters can make it difficult to get into. I'm sure the people you read it with won't mind at all anyway :) .

I only know one of the people, my friend. Everyone else are people I don't know, which is what makes me hesistant as they don't know me either.

Don't worry about it if you're not in the mood. There'll be plenty of future read-a-thons to join :lol:

True :).

Great, next week it is then! :) 

Yay!

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I did not finish War and Peace either, I thought it was boring.

I'm glad to know it is not just me!! Yes, I found it boring too.

On 06/06/2021 at 9:59 AM, Athena said:

I've been in a bit of a reading slump the past week (because I am really not liking War and Peace, even though now I've decided to DNF it for now (though am worried about telling the people I read it with because they seem to like it.), I still feel slumpy and not really feel like reading), I only realised yesterday that it was supposed to be the read-a-thon weekend :doh:. My bad! I'm sorry for not realising it last week and then posting about it. I have re-read a couple of manga yesterday evening because it was the only thing I felt up for reading (aside my daily chapter in A Column of Fire). It's fine with me to move the read-a-thon to next weekend. I will see if I feel in the mood for more reading then, we shall see.

Sorry you weren't enjoying War and Peace. I haven't read it yet, but it is on my tbr. It is the sheer volume of it that is the number 1 reason that I don't pick it up. 

I will like to try and join in for the readathon next weekend. Where I can. I am booked in for my first vaccine next Saturday and hopefully seeing my gran on the Sunday. 

On 07/06/2021 at 7:21 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Sorry you weren't enjoying War and Peace. I haven't read it yet, but it is on my tbr. It is the sheer volume of it that is the number 1 reason that I don't pick it up. 

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

On 07/06/2021 at 7:21 PM, Lau_Lou said:

I will like to try and join in for the readathon next weekend. Where I can. I am booked in for my first vaccine next Saturday and hopefully seeing my gran on the Sunday. 

Congratulations on having your first vaccine appointment today! I hope it goes well :). I hope you get to see your gran tomorrow!

Happy reading to all of you who are joining the read-a-thon this weekend :readingtwo:!

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Happy reading to all of you who are joining the read-a-thon this weekend :readingtwo:!

Thank you!

I’m getting back into The Essex Serpent for the read-a-thon! I haven’t picked it up for… a while. Luckily the plot isn’t hard to follow!

Just remembered I didn’t update this. I didn’t do a page count this month because my main goal was to get back into the book, but I definitely did that! We were painting at the new house but every time I had a break I sat in the garden and read a bit more. The Essex Serpent is very atmospheric and I got drawn back in easily, so happy with this months read-a-thon! 

22 hours ago, Hayley said:

Just remembered I didn’t update this. I didn’t do a page count this month because my main goal was to get back into the book, but I definitely did that! We were painting at the new house but every time I had a break I sat in the garden and read a bit more. The Essex Serpent is very atmospheric and I got drawn back in easily, so happy with this months read-a-thon! 

I'm glad you were able to get drawn back in :).

20 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I read just over 100 pages of my current read, Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. If that counts :-)

Of course it does :)!

I read Phoebe and her Unicorn 4: Razzle Dazzle Unicorn by Dana Simpson (children's comic / graphic novel, 181 pages), Mees Kees 2: Op de kast by Mirjam Mous (ill. Rick de Haas) (children's illustrated book, 85 pages), and Summer Wars by Mamoru Hosoda, Iqura Sugimoto, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (manga, 589 pages).

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I read Phoebe and her Unicorn 4: Razzle Dazzle Unicorn by Dana Simpson (children's comic / graphic novel, 181 pages), Mees Kees 2: Op de kast by Mirjam Mous (ill. Rick de Haas) (children's illustrated book, 85 pages), and Summer Wars by Mamoru Hosoda, Iqura Sugimoto, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (manga, 589 pages).

Wow, you did well! I hope you enjoyed them all :)

22 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I read just over 100 pages of my current read, Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. If that counts :-)

It definitely does :lol:. I also just looked this book up because it sounded familiar and it looks really good! 

On 12/06/2021 at 7:30 AM, Athena said:

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Congratulations on having your first vaccine appointment today! I hope it goes well :). I hope you get to see your gran tomorrow!

thank you :) the vaccine went as well as can be. I ended up reading the last 3 chapters and finished The Chocolate Lovers' Club which I loved. I also read a couple of chapters of The Clash of Kings and 1 chapter of Emma. So overall good weekend. I did see my gran too which was great. Cannot wait to see her again. Wonderful woman she is! 

Edited by Lau_Lou
not knowing the difference between to and too.