Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Hayley

      Moving Day Coming Soon   01/11/2021

      As many of you know, we've been looking at changing hosts for a while now. This will allow us to access the tech support we need for the site and should speed up the forum as well as ironing out a few issues we've been having recently.    We are now signed up to the new hosting plan and can go ahead with the move as soon as the new hosts have everything they need (which is currently being sorted!). The forum should not be offline for more than a day during the switch and hopefully it won't even take that long. I don't have an exact time or day for the move yet but this is an early warning to expect some downtime soon.   When we are offline, no matter how briefly, you can follow the forum twitter page (@bookclubforum) for updates.  
Athena

Read-a-thons 2021

Recommended Posts

I know it's a bit early but.. well I felt in the mood. I will post the preliminary schedule for BCF monthly read-a-thons in 2021.

 

The following are set up as:

2021
[Month]: [Friday Date] [Saturday Date] [Sunday Date]

January: 01 02 03 04*
February: 05 06 07
March: 05 06 07
April: 02 03 04
May: 07 08 09
June: 04 05 06
July: 02 03 04
August: 06 07 08
September: 03 04 05
October: 01 02 03
November: 05 06 07
December: 03 04 05

 

Note:
* -> starts on New Year's Day.. not sure about that as I tend to be exhausted then (from lack of sleep due to it being too noisy to sleep). Might move it depending on what those of you who want to participate, think. Feel free to comment down below with any related thoughts.

EDIT: As per discussion we have added Monday the 4th of January to the January read-a-thon.

 

If this is not easy to read for you, please let me know and I'll see if I can write it down in a way that is more easy for you to understand.

 

I look forward to do more reading in 2021 :)!

 


 

Edited by Athena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m glad you posted early, I’m looking forward to starting a new year of reading. This one hasn’t been great! 
 

I agree that New Year’s Day might not be great for a lot of people. I suppose we could just extend it to include Monday, the 4th? I’d be fine with moving it forward a week too though, what does everyone else think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday 4th sounds good to me, when all the festivities are out of the way :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the idea of adding Monday the 4th!! Let's do that, since you three like the idea as well (though if anyone after this voices objections, I don't mean to exclude them.).

 

I will edit the list above, thank you for the idea Hayley!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to post here that it's January 1rst here tomorrow (and the same for some of you!). While for the past week I've been feeling like January 2021, that's still so far away,.. it actually isn't. My perception of time has been so confused and messed up lately.

 

Anyway.. for those interested, the read-a-thon is scheduled for Friday 1rst of January until Monday the 4th of January, so it would finish the end of Monday.

 

I currently don't really feel in the mood, but then it is not yet Jan 1rst. It's probably because I'm going through some difficulties atm, we'll see how things go.

 

To anyone who participates, I wish you happy reading! (And of course a Happy New Year!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Athena said:

Just wanted to post here that it's January 1rst here tomorrow (and the same for some of you!). While for the past week I've been feeling like January 2021, that's still so far away,.. it actually isn't. My perception of time has been so confused and messed up lately.

Me too! I assume it’s the weirdness at the moment changing our normal routines. I felt like the whole of December went by in a few days.

 

15 hours ago, Athena said:

 

I currently don't really feel in the mood, but then it is not yet Jan 1rst. It's probably because I'm going through some difficulties atm, we'll see how things go

Hope you’re okay. Don’t feel pressured to join in this month if you don’t feel up to it. And remember there’s an extra day so you can just see how you feel tomorrow or the next day :hug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hayley said:

Me too! I assume it’s the weirdness at the moment changing our normal routines. I felt like the whole of December went by in a few days.

 

Hope you’re okay. Don’t feel pressured to join in this month if you don’t feel up to it. And remember there’s an extra day so you can just see how you feel tomorrow or the next day :hug:

Yes I hope you are ok. 2020 was such a strange year, that I have decided not to put too much pressure on myself to do things. I might read a little today, but I am not going to use the read-a-thons to mark the quantity of pages read but just to enjoy reading.

Happy New Year to you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking forward to reading this weekend, as now the festive season is over, as things should be slightly normal.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy new year both! 
 

I accidentally stayed up until 1 in the morning finishing One of our Thursdays is Missing :blush:. I love those books! 
 

I have more things I need to get done today so I won’t be able to read so much this afternoon (I’d already started by this time yesterday!) but I think I’m going to read some more of the short stories in The Other World, It Whispers, rather than start another novel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 10:53 AM, Hayley said:

Me too! I assume it’s the weirdness at the moment changing our normal routines. I felt like the whole of December went by in a few days.

 

Same.

 

On 01/01/2021 at 10:53 AM, Hayley said:

Hope you’re okay. Don’t feel pressured to join in this month if you don’t feel up to it. And remember there’s an extra day so you can just see how you feel tomorrow or the next day :hug:

 

Thanks Hayley :hug:. I indeed read nothing on Friday, but yesterday (Saturday) I read 22 pages in The Donor by Claire Macintosh. It's a novella and has just over 100 pages, I hope to at least finish that today and hopefully read something more.

 

On 01/01/2021 at 1:21 PM, karen.d said:

Yes I hope you are ok. 2020 was such a strange year, that I have decided not to put too much pressure on myself to do things. I might read a little today, but I am not going to use the read-a-thons to mark the quantity of pages read but just to enjoy reading.

Happy New Year to you all!

 

That makes sense, it was indeed a strange year. I hope you enjoy your reading :). Happy New Year to you too, Karen!

 

On 01/01/2021 at 1:29 PM, Marie H said:

I’m looking forward to reading this weekend, as now the festive season is over, as things should be slightly normal.

Happy New Year to everyone!

 

Happy New Year to you too Marie :)! I hope you have fun reading!

 

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

Happy new year both! 
 

I accidentally stayed up until 1 in the morning finishing One of our Thursdays is Missing :blush:. I love those books! 
 

I have more things I need to get done today so I won’t be able to read so much this afternoon (I’d already started by this time yesterday!) but I think I’m going to read some more of the short stories in The Other World, It Whispers, rather than start another novel. 

 

Happy New Year to you Hayley! Haha, I'm glad it was an excellent read :)! I hope you enjoy The Other World, It Whispers :).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Athena said:

Happy New Year to you Hayley! Haha, I'm glad it was an excellent read :)! I hope you enjoy The Other World, It Whispers :).

 

Thank you! I hope you enjoy The Donor! :) 

 

I read two of the stories from The Other World yesterday and there’s two left so I think I can probably finish that today. I definitely feel like reading a novel rather than short stories next though. You know when you want something you can really get engrossed in? Thinking I might go for Ransom Riggs Hollow City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thank you! I hope you enjoy The Donor! :) 

 

I did, thank you :)! In fact I liked it so much I struggled to read something else for a while :lol:. So I ordered the author's most popular / best reviewed book (The Donor was a novella).

 

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

I read two of the stories from The Other World yesterday and there’s two left so I think I can probably finish that today. I definitely feel like reading a novel rather than short stories next though. You know when you want something you can really get engrossed in? Thinking I might go for Ransom Riggs Hollow City.

 

I hope you enjoyed whichever book you ended up reading :).

 

After The Donor I struggled for a while, then decided to try rereading a short Stilton book (Geronimo Stilton 3: De Piraten van de zilveren Kattenklauw). Later in the day I read Himouto! Umaru-chan volume 8 by Sakakuhead. I then re-read Cakes in Space by Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre, and I re-read Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball by Laura Ellen Anderson (Amelia Fang book 1).

 

I hope to read some more today, as it's the extra day :).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×