Hilary Mantel’s The Mirror and the Light

Jenifer bagshawn

Wanting to hold on to Hilary’s Thomas I’ve consistently put off reading the last few hundred pages. 

Ive just finished the book.

It’s humbling. Thomas’s death, through Hilary, is a validation of life. How beautifully she shows the power of our lives and our own consciousness to shape the value of our deaths. Whatever the value others may put on us. Such a wonderfully powerful story of a mans life and lifetime. 

If any of you guys have also read the trilogy - what did you think?

• 3 months later...

I really enjoyed the first two (both reading and listening to them) but have got stuck on this one. I think it's partially because it's so long, too long, I think she's being rather self indulgent, and also because I know what happened to Cromwell and don't really want to have to live through it by reading it.

• 5 months later...

Cromwell was a man we will always argue about. He did so.e cruel things. He did some good things. He loved his family. He was loyal to his king. He was a mixed bag of a human being and lived a full life.

Yet, as written in this book even death did not end him. I believe physical death does not end any of us. 

The next step is waiting, and he went on to take it. 

I wonder what his God made of Thomas Cromwell?:)