LindyLou

Your Favourite Book when a Child?

What books do you remember as a child, and did you have a Favourite?

For me it was Ballet Shoes, Noel Streatfeild, and the three aspiring Stage sisters Pauline, Petrova and Posy.

Lindy x

I absolutely loved the My Naughty Little Sister stories by Dorothy Edwards. 

We also had ladybird books for children.

Also a fan of Jacqueline Wilson. Wouldn't mind rereading those to be honest.  

Enid Blyton - Noddy when I was very young, then the Famous 5 and Adventure series, also Paddington, Nancy Drew, and The Secret Garden.

When I was very young (eight or nine) there was a picture book in my school library that was about mice (you know, the usual thing for kids picture books, they were dressed up as soldiers or something...), but I have no idea what it was called or even what the story was at this point.  I remember going to take it out again at one point and not being allowed too because I was the last person who had it out - although I'm sure it was weeks or even months before.  I'd like to know what it was, but I don't think there is a practical way of finding out what it was at this distance.

Past that, I read very little until I was sixteen, and I cannot think of anything that I would have deemed a favourite until much later.

I was a huge fan of the Tintin books. The school library purchased 3 story sets, and it was a rat race among friends to borrow the books which were in great demand. 

I have fond memories of reading a battered hardback copy of The Adventures of Brer Rabbit.

Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White was one of my favourites.

18 minutes ago, Marie H said:

Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White was one of my favourites.

:wub:

I used to read The Story Of Holly And Ivy every christmas. That was/is one of my favourite stories. 

On 29/12/2020 at 9:32 PM, Raven said:

When I was very young (eight or nine) there was a picture book in my school library that was about mice (you know, the usual thing for kids picture books, they were dressed up as soldiers or something...), but I have no idea what it was called or even what the story was at this point.  I remember going to take it out again at one point and not being allowed too because I was the last person who had it out - although I'm sure it was weeks or even months before.  I'd like to know what it was, but I don't think there is a practical way of finding out what it was at this distance.

Past that, I read very little until I was sixteen, and I cannot think of anything that I would have deemed a favourite until much later.

Could it be The Mouse King by E T A Hoffman? usually comes with The Nutcracker.  Fabulous stories both.

There were so many that I couldn't narrow it down to just one - I loved the Brer Rabbit stories too, The Famous Five, The Secret Seven, Naughty Amelia Jane, The Wishing Chair, The Silver Brumby Series ........... and on

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Could it be The Mouse King by E T A Hoffman? usually comes with The Nutcracker.  Fabulous stories both.

No, I don't think so.  I would have remembered The Nutcracker because we saw an animated version of it in school around the same time; this was something else.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

2 hours ago, Raven said:

No, I don't think so.  I would have remembered The Nutcracker because we saw an animated version of it in school around the same time; this was something else.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

You are welcome.  However, it comes with The Nutcracker now but if it was a children's picture book it might not necessarily have come with The Nutcracker.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

You are welcome.  However, it comes with The Nutcracker now but if it was a children's picture book it might not necessarily have come with The Nutcracker.

True, but I'm pretty sure it was something else, even though I cannot remember the specifics.