Recipes From Around The World

Virginia

Last month I was listening to a Rick Steve's European Podcast. He did an interview with a woman 195 weeks providing a recipe from every country, for her family. I was so intrigued that I decided to do this for our grands (and us) to incorporate with some geography and history.

I was wondering if our non American members can list some relatively easy recipes that we may be able to try? Maybe a little background to go with it?

Thanks!

Hmm.. I'm not sure what kind of specific recipes you would be looking for. What kind of things do you like to eat or do you not eat (ie. do you eat meat, fish, eggs, carbs?)? Are you looking for something for dinner? Or ie. something not for a meal, such as cake?

I'm also not sure what kind of things are available over there in the US vs the Netherlands. I often find with American recipes they name an ingredient I've not seen here.

But anyway.. if you want something typically Dutch 'hutspot' comes to my mind. It's not really a summer food though, it is a winter food (it's mashed potatoes with sometimes mashed carrots, sometimes sauerkraut, a 'rookworst' (a type of Dutch sausage) and gravy; I know there are varients with 'boerenkool' as well instead of the carrots or sauerkraut but I don't like that. Not sure what boerenkool is in English, sorry). My partner and I make pasta a lot (usually with tomato sauce, sometimes with carbonara sauce, bell peppers and/or mushrooms, and a type of meat), we sometimes have chicken tandoori with rice and vegetables but it requires a pack that I don't know is sold in other countries. We sometimes make bami but again that requires herbs that I don't think you can find in the US, but I could be wrong (it's pork, noodles, specific vegetables and bami herbs). On occasion we make a 'vegetable tart' with 'puff pastry', eggs, creme fraice, certain vegetables (for example, leek), a type of proteine (such as bacon bits / lardons, or tuna), and on occasion grated cheese on top (note: Dutch cheese is very different from the standard American cheese.. just fyi). Well.. just throwing some random ideas out there.. I'd have to think about what meals we often have that could be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 3:43 AM, Athena said:

Hmm.. I'm not sure what kind of specific recipes you would be looking for. What kind of things do you like to eat or do you not eat (ie. do you eat meat, fish, eggs, carbs?)? Are you looking for something for dinner? Or ie. something not for a meal, such as cake?

I'm also not sure what kind of things are available over there in the US vs the Netherlands. I often find with American recipes they name an ingredient I've not seen here.

But anyway.. if you want something typically Dutch 'hutspot' comes to my mind. It's not really a summer food though, it is a winter food (it's mashed potatoes with sometimes mashed carrots, sometimes sauerkraut, a 'rookworst' (a type of Dutch sausage) and gravy; I know there are varients with 'boerenkool' as well instead of the carrots or sauerkraut but I don't like that. Not sure what boerenkool is in English, sorry). My partner and I make pasta a lot (usually with tomato sauce, sometimes with carbonara sauce, bell peppers and/or mushrooms, and a type of meat), we sometimes have chicken tandoori with rice and vegetables but it requires a pack that I don't know is sold in other countries. We sometimes make bami but again that requires herbs that I don't think you can find in the US, but I could be wrong (it's pork, noodles, specific vegetables and bami herbs). On occasion we make a 'vegetable tart' with 'puff pastry', eggs, creme fraice, certain vegetables (for example, leek), a type of proteine (such as bacon bits / lardons, or tuna), and on occasion grated cheese on top (note: Dutch cheese is very different from the standard American cheese.. just fyi). Well.. just throwing some random ideas out there.. I'd have to think about what meals we often have that could be interesting.

Thank you for responding. I never got my notification. Ugh. Anyway, Right now I just want to get as many recipes as I can and then I'll cull them out. Once I get that figured out, I'll then go on to finding the recipes if they are available.