Marie H

Your Book Activity - August 2020

August! 

So, what is everyone else reading now?

Currently readings are Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee and 

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku Vol. 4 by Fujita.

Listening to Roal Dahl’s 2nd autobiography Going Solo.

I have just finished The Girl Before by JP Delaney. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to, the only problem is that I forgot to bring another book with me to work. :(

Finished Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson, a  reread of a much loved book for one of my book groups.  As good as ever!  6/6

Moving on to another favourite for another book group: The Outrun by Amy Liptrot. 

Completed The Outrun.  Slightly different to the way I remember it.  It's a memoir splt between the author's time in London (and her descent into alcoholism) and in Orkney (recovery and rehabilitation), and I remember the London section as being fairly brief.  It's certainly shorter than the later period, but felt to be a bigger part of the book than last time round.  It's physically around one-third of the book - and that's roughly what it felt like this time.  The author's writing is straightforwardly lucid and eminently readable, her style adapting to the context.  Well received my the group as a whole, with one or two caveats, but remains a favourite of mine.  6/6.

Moving on the JK Galbraith's The Affluent Society, part of a reading challenge at my local library.  I don't think I'll be reading this on its own though, as it's not exactly light or easy reading (economics never is for me!) so am aiming to take it a chapter at a time.

I finished my Cassandra Clare reading extravaganza; three series (12 books), followed by three chunky short story collections. Enjoyable immersive reading that suited my mood. 

Since finishing I tumbled into a Lord Peter Wimsey mood, so enjoyed a re read of Dorothy L Sayers' books Clouds of Witness, Strong Poison, and Gaudy Night. 

I have now started Sunny Side Up by comedienne Susan Calman. I am not sure why I bought the book, and am uncertain as to why it appeals now, but I will continue to select my reading by whatever pulls me 'in the moment'. No plan, no pressure. :) Clearly the hippy in me is awake and happy.