Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
muggle not

2020 - Muggle Not's Reading

Recommended Posts

Outlander – Diana Gabaldon – 3/5 – I know this was a hit but just isn’t my style.

Sword of Kings  - Bernard Cornwell – 3.5/5 – enjoyable as usual with his books

Small Spaces – Katherine Arden – 3/5 – enjoyable for a middle age kids book

The Old Curiosity Shop – Charles Dickens – 4/5 good read but noe one of his better books

The Last Widow – Karin Slaughter – 3.5/5 – another good read but not her best

Dead Voices – Katherine Arden – 3/5 – Another book for middle age kids. Scary but probably not quite as good as Small Spaces. This will be a series that Arden will keep on writing. It involves 3 kids, Ollie, Cody, and Brian, and they are involved with ghosts and/or a bad person that is nicknamed Smiley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you get some nicer reads soon, there's a lot of 3's and 3.5's in your post! Which isn't bad.. but some more 4's and 5's would be even more enjoyable :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you get some nicer reads soon, there's a lot of 3's and 3.5's in your post! Which isn't bad.. but some more 4's and 5's would be even more enjoyable :).

You are correct, I haven't had a really, really good book this year so far. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, muggle not said:

The Old Curiosity Shop – Charles Dickens – 4/5 good read but noe one of his better books

 

It's certainly the weakest that I've read so far. Rated it 3/6, whereas most Dickens I've read has had at least a 5 (Bleak House, David Copperfield full out sixes).  I enjoyed the thread that followed Kit, Quilp was a pretty good villain, and there were some enjoyably Dickensian characters, but I found Little Nell and Grandfather such hard work.  Dickens is just hopeless with young women - over-sentimental slush - and to have her at the heart of the book put all the problems at the centre of the novel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willoyd said:

 

It's certainly the weakest that I've read so far. Rated it 3/6, whereas most Dickens I've read has had at least a 5 (Bleak House, David Copperfield full out sixes).  I enjoyed the thread that followed Kit, Quilp was a pretty good villain, and there were some enjoyably Dickensian characters, but I found Little Nell and Grandfather such hard work.  Dickens is just hopeless with young women - over-sentimental slush - and to have her at the heart of the book put all the problems at the centre of the novel. 

You pretty much put it in words for me. Dickens writing was good except the storyline left me wanting as I found it hard to get interested in much of the book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8. A Minute to Midnight - David Baldacci - 4 - This is the second book in a new series by Baldacci and I like the main character, a female in the FBI.

7. The Guardian - John Grisham - 3.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9. Once Upon A River - Diane Setterfield - 4/5 - I thoroughly enjoyed this book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11. Witch Is When It all Began - Adele Abbott - 3.5

12. Walk The Wire - David Baldacci - 4/5

13. The Nature of the Beast (A Chief Inspector Gamache Book) - Louise Penny - 4/5- good read. book 11 of the series

14. A Great Reckoning (A Chief Inspector Gamache book) - Louise Penny - 4/5 - another good read

15. The preacher  (A Mountain Man book) - William J. Johnstone - 3/5 - ok read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Muggle, I hope you are doing okay! I haven't read any of your recently read books, but I thought I'd say hi :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 8:58 AM, Athena said:

Hi Muggle, I hope you are doing okay! I haven't read any of your recently read books, but I thought I'd say hi :).

Thank you. How has you reading year been? Mine has been ok but not fantastic.. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2020 at 4:49 PM, muggle not said:

Thank you. How has you reading year been? Mine has been ok but not fantastic.. :(

 

Awww. Mine has been reasonably nice. Though because of having bought a house and moving over the summer, I'm spending less time reading than I used to, and more time doing up the house and packing things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16. Witch Is When Life Got Complicated - Adele Abbott - 3/5 

17. Kingdom of the Blind - Louise Penny - 4/5

18. A Better Man - Louise Penny - 4/5 - This was book 15 of the series and I have now read all of them. Obviously, I enjoy the writing of Louise Penny and look forward to her next book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19. Last of the Name - Rosanne Parry - 4/10 - a young sister and her brother immigrate to the U.S. during the time of the U.S. Civil war. Story of how difficult it was for immigrants to survive in those times. Good read.

20. A Wolf Called Wander - Rosanne Parry 4/10 - A story of a wolf written from a wolf's perspective. The wolf describes his life in the wild and the journeys he takes. Based somewhat on the travels of an actual wolf that was tracked for a period of approx. 10 years. Truly enjoyable reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×