Jump to content
Athena

Read-a-thon 2020

Recommended Posts

I just saw your post and thought ‘woah, it’s been a month already!?’ But you’re right, it’s because we moved the last read-a-thon forwards a week that it feels so soon since the last one. 
 

I wouldn’t mind moving it again if you’d prefer, but I’m also happy to join in if it’s this Friday. I think I want to read The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke for it :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to reading this coming weekend, as the local weather forecasts is for rain & wind, so I'll be indoors. I haven't decided books to read yet, but I would like to start something new, maybe with a new author.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I may join too because as Marie says the weather doesn't look to be too great, so it will be nice to get some reading done. I am hoping to have finished my current book by tomorrow and can focus on reading The Shining at the weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hayley said:

I just saw your post and thought ‘woah, it’s been a month already!?’ But you’re right, it’s because we moved the last read-a-thon forwards a week that it feels so soon since the last one. 
 

I wouldn’t mind moving it again if you’d prefer, but I’m also happy to join in if it’s this Friday. I think I want to read The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke for it :) 

 

I hope you enjoy The Ladies of Grace Adieu :). Looks like Marie and Lau Lou are okay with having it this weekend, so I guess we shall do that?

 

14 hours ago, Marie H said:

I look forward to reading this coming weekend, as the local weather forecasts is for rain & wind, so I'll be indoors. I haven't decided books to read yet, but I would like to start something new, maybe with a new author.

 

I hope you enjoy whichever book you decide to read :).

 

8 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I think I may join too because as Marie says the weather doesn't look to be too great, so it will be nice to get some reading done. I am hoping to have finished my current book by tomorrow and can focus on reading The Shining at the weekend. 

 

I liked The Shining, I hope you do too :)! Have fun finishing off your current book :).

 

I'll have a look at my unread graphic novels and manga (I think I've read all of the graphic memoirs I own) and see what I feel like reading, when it's closer to the weekend / Friday. I'm not currently reading any book, but it's the last day of September and I have some other things to do, so I might not start a new book today.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to read The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. I've seen a lot of reviews, and quite of them either love or hate this book. So my hardback book should arrive from Amazon tomorrow, and all to read this weekend. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hardback of The Thursday Murder Club arrived yesterday, and the weather forecast for amber warnings in my area for Sat and Sun! Definitely staying in this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/09/2020 at 11:45 AM, Brian. said:

I'll be joining for at least some of the read-a-thon.

 

I hope you'll enjoy your reading :). What are you (planning to) read / what is your current read?

 

On 30/09/2020 at 1:19 PM, Marie H said:

Decided to read The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. I've seen a lot of reviews, and quite of them either love or hate this book. So my hardback book should arrive from Amazon tomorrow, and all to read this weekend. :)

 

3 hours ago, Marie H said:

My hardback of The Thursday Murder Club arrived yesterday, and the weather forecast for amber warnings in my area for Sat and Sun! Definitely staying in this weekend. 

 

Yay for your hardback arriving! It's nice it was cheaper than the Kindle book (I read that in your thread). It sounds like good weather to stay inside! I hope you enjoy The Thursday Murder Club. I haven't heard of it (before reading your posts about it) but it sounds like an intriguing title!

 

I haven't read in any book yet, but I plan to do so soon, and hopefully more reading in the weekend :).

 

Happy reading this weekend, everyone! :readingtwo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Athena said:

 

I hope you'll enjoy your reading :). What are you (planning to) read / what is your current read?


I’m aiming to finish Stasi Wolf by David Young and then pick something from my ever growing TBR pile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read 106 pages of The Shining today. My partner wants to go on a walk tomorrow, so I will aim to read some more before and after. 

 

Hope everyone is enjoying their reading and anything else they may be doing this weekend :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Brian. said:

I’m aiming to finish Stasi Wolf by David Young and then pick something from my ever growing TBR pile.

 

I hope you enjoy(ed) it :)!

 

9 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I have read 106 pages of The Shining today. My partner wants to go on a walk tomorrow, so I will aim to read some more before and after. 

 

Hope everyone is enjoying their reading and anything else they may be doing this weekend :)

 

Yay for some reading! Are you enjoying The Shining? I hope you have a lovely walk with your partner today :).

 

I read the first 2 manga volumes of Ai Yori Aoshi by Kou Fumuzuki yesterday evening. I hope to do more reading today. My upset stomach has returned unfortunately (I had an upset stomach on Wednesday and Thursday) so we'll see how things go.

 

Happy reading everyone!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Athena said:

 

I read the first 2 manga volumes of Ai Yori Aoshi by Kou Fumuzuki yesterday evening. I hope to do more reading today. My upset stomach has returned unfortunately (I had an upset stomach on Wednesday and Thursday) so we'll see how things go.

 

Happy reading everyone!

I hope your stomach will start to feel better soon!

 

And I hope everyone is enjoying their reading!

 

I started The Ladies of Grace Adieu yesterday but only managed to squeeze about 15 pages in before I went to bed. My niece has been sent home from school for two weeks because someone in her year tested positive for Covid. I’m her ‘bubble’ and her mom was at work, so I had to help her to sort out her online schoolwork (luckily she had English!). I think I’m really going to like the book though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent most of yesterday listening audiobooks; Robin Stevens' First Class Murder and Lissa Evans' V for Victory. Both were enjoyable to listen to.

 

Started read Richard Osman's The Thursday Murder Club today. Only just read 12 pages, but I'm getting into it. It seems to be a cosy mystery type, but there is a hint of Alan Bennett type sharpness, with the description of the characters. Looking forward to the afternoon reading. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished Stasi Wolf last night (about 200 pages) and I've managed to squeeze in about 60 pages of Sour Sweet between jobs at work today. So, not the most productive read-a-thon but enough to keep me ticking over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, Athena said:

 

I hope you enjoy(ed) it :)!

 

 

Yay for some reading! Are you enjoying The Shining? I hope you have a lovely walk with your partner today :).

 

I read the first 2 manga volumes of Ai Yori Aoshi by Kou Fumuzuki yesterday evening. I hope to do more reading today. My upset stomach has returned unfortunately (I had an upset stomach on Wednesday and Thursday) so we'll see how things go.

 

Happy reading everyone!

 

 

I am very much enjoying it, thanks :) I have seen the film a couple of times and as much as I quite liked it, the book is far better.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2020 at 9:26 AM, Hayley said:

I hope your stomach will start to feel better soon!

 

And I hope everyone is enjoying their reading!

 

I started The Ladies of Grace Adieu yesterday but only managed to squeeze about 15 pages in before I went to bed. My niece has been sent home from school for two weeks because someone in her year tested positive for Covid. I’m her ‘bubble’ and her mom was at work, so I had to help her to sort out her online schoolwork (luckily she had English!). I think I’m really going to like the book though!

 

Thanks, it is feeling better :)! Awww I hope your niece is okay :flowers2:! I hope you enjoy The Ladies of Grace Adieu :).

 

On 03/10/2020 at 1:11 PM, Marie H said:

Spent most of yesterday listening audiobooks; Robin Stevens' First Class Murder and Lissa Evans' V for Victory. Both were enjoyable to listen to.

 

Started read Richard Osman's The Thursday Murder Club today. Only just read 12 pages, but I'm getting into it. It seems to be a cosy mystery type, but there is a hint of Alan Bennett type sharpness, with the description of the characters. Looking forward to the afternoon reading. :)

 

Yay for your enjoyable audiobooks! I hope you enjoy The Thursday Murder Club :).

 

16 hours ago, Brian. said:

I finished Stasi Wolf last night (about 200 pages) and I've managed to squeeze in about 60 pages of Sour Sweet between jobs at work today. So, not the most productive read-a-thon but enough to keep me ticking over.

 

I'm glad you had fun reading, even if it wasn't the most productive read-a-thon :).

 

12 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I am very much enjoying it, thanks :) I have seen the film a couple of times and as much as I quite liked it, the book is far better.

 

I really liked the book too :). I saw the film many years ago and liked it, but I haven't seen it since.

 

On Saturday evening I read Mees Kees 1: Een pittig klasje by Mirjam Oldenhave, and I read 30 pages in Geronimo Stilton 2: Een noodkreet uit Transmuzanië by Geronimo Stilton.

 

On Sunday I finished the latter, and then read Stick Dog 2: Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog by Tom Watson, Barry Loser 2: I Am Still Not a Loser by Jim Smith, I re-read Big Nate 2: Big Nate Strikes Again by Lincoln Peirce, I re-read Wilf the Mighty Worrier 1: Wilf the Mighty Worrier Saves the World by Georgia Pritchett (ill. Jamie Littler), and lastly I re-read Treehouse 2: The 26-Storey Treehouse by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't read that much of the weekend, but did listen to audiobooks. Really enjoying Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony, and hope to finished it today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to check the page number but I finished the first two stories in The Ladies of Grace Adieu. It’s nowhere near as much as I hoped but it’s been a weird weekend! 
 

11 hours ago, Athena said:

 

Thanks, it is feeling better :)! Awww I hope your niece is okay :flowers2:! I hope you enjoy The Ladies of Grace Adieu :).


I’m glad you’re feeling better! My niece is fine, thank you. Her year group is huge so it’s very unlikely she’s even been in contact with the person who tested positive.

I did really enjoy what I managed to read!
 

It seems like everyone enjoyed what they read over the read-a-thon so that’s good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×