Read-a-thon 2019

Athena

So this weekend has been, if possible, even more mad than I expected, but I happily took my book to bed last night and managed to finish the first short story in Help the Witch. I'll definitely be reading the next one later and, as it's much shorter, I'll either keep going or switch to Wilkie Collins.

How's everyone else's reading going?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Hayley said:

So this weekend has been, if possible, even more mad than I expected, but I happily took my book to bed last night and managed to finish the first short story in Help the Witch. I'll definitely be reading the next one later and, as it's much shorter, I'll either keep going or switch to Wilkie Collins.

I've just read the above post. 

14 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm glad you had fun reading :). Happy reading today again :)!

On Friday I read Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 15 (201 pages) and I read the first 51 pages of Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Volume 16. On Saturday I finished the latter by reading 150 pages of it.

I was planning to read more Saturday in the later afternoon, but my sister and her husband visited unexpectedly (I knew about half an hour beforehand), so I ended up spending time with them instead of reading in another book.

8 hours ago, Raven said:

:lol:

12 hours ago, Raven said:

Pretty well then :lol:

4 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you had fun reading :). Happy reading today again :)!

Thanks, you too! Have you decided what you're reading today yet?

On 07/12/2019 at 4:10 PM, Hayley said:

I've concentrated on reading one big book, which I started earlier in the week: The Favourite by Ophelia Field, a biography of Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, and the book upon which the film was (rather loosely!) based - I saw it in the cinema early on in the year, starring Olivia Coleman and Rachel Weisz.  It's 485 fairly dense pages long, and finished it tonight, having read all bar 100 pages since Friday morning.  Found it hard work (unlike the film!).

Also read 50 pages of Robert Harris's The Dictator, and have given up at that point.  Pretty much all the Amazon reviews are raves, but I unfortunately found it tedious, not least because know the ending beforehand (it's fictionalised history), and can't face the prospect of another 400 pages.  Am moving on to Judith Flanders' slimmer paperback on Christmas, A Biography.

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thanks, you too! Have you decided what you're reading today yet?

Sorry for not responding to this until now! I was at my grandmother's house yesterday, celebrating her birthday (I can't easily access the forum from there). I need rest regularly, so I managed to do some reading while I rested upstairs. I read a graphic novel called All Summer Long by Hope Larson, 172 pages. I read a children's illustrated book of the Judy Moody series (though I read the Dutch translation which is Fleur Humeur), Fleur Humeur voorspelt de toekomst (Judy Moody Predicts the Future) by Megan McDonald (ill. Peter Reynolds), 159 pages. I made a start in Stick Dog (book 1 in the Stick Dog series) by Tom Watson. I finished that one at home, 192 pages. Lastly I started How It's Not Ok to Feel Blue and Other Lies by Scarlett Curtis & Others, I read 64 pages in it.

9 hours ago, willoyd said:

I've concentrated on reading one big book, which I started earlier in the week: The Favourite by Ophelia Field, a biography of Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, and the book upon which the film was (rather loosely!) based - I saw it in the cinema early on in the year, starring Olivia Coleman and Rachel Weisz.  It's 485 fairly dense pages long, and finished it tonight, having read all bar 100 pages since Friday morning.  Found it hard work (unlike the film!).

Also read 50 pages of Robert Harris's The Dictator, and have given up at that point.  Pretty much all the Amazon reviews are raves, but I unfortunately found it tedious, not least because know the ending beforehand (it's fictionalised history), and can't face the prospect of another 400 pages.  Am moving on to Judith Flanders' slimmer paperback on Christmas, A Biography.

Shame The Favourite wasn't a great read for you and that The Dictator wasn't a good read either. I hope Christmas, A Biography is an interesting read.

Sorry I haven't checked in over the weekend! This weekend, I managed to finish the last 32% of 'The Gunslinger' by Stephen King and I read 96 pages of 'The Uninvited' by Liz Jensen.

Both of these have been really good books. I definitely think 'The Gunslinger' was better on a second read. 

What a shame that both books turned out to be a struggle @willoyd! I hope Christmas, A Biography is more enjoyable. 

On 09/12/2019 at 7:13 AM, Athena said:

Sorry for not responding to this until now! I was at my grandmother's house yesterday, celebrating her birthday (I can't easily access the forum from there). I need rest regularly, so I managed to do some reading while I rested upstairs. I read a graphic novel called All Summer Long by Hope Larson, 172 pages. I read a children's illustrated book of the Judy Moody series (though I read the Dutch translation which is Fleur Humeur), Fleur Humeur voorspelt de toekomst (Judy Moody Predicts the Future) by Megan McDonald (ill. Peter Reynolds), 159 pages. I made a start in Stick Dog (book 1 in the Stick Dog series) by Tom Watson. I finished that one at home, 192 pages. Lastly I started How It's Not Ok to Feel Blue and Other Lies by Scarlett Curtis & Others, I read 64 pages in it.

No need to apologise! I hope you had fun celebrating your grandmother's birthday :). That was a lot of books you managed to get through too, especially considering you had a busy day!

On 09/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, karen.d said:

Sorry I haven't checked in over the weekend! This weekend, I managed to finish the last 32% of 'The Gunslinger' by Stephen King and I read 96 pages of 'The Uninvited' by Liz Jensen.

Both of these have been really good books. I definitely think 'The Gunslinger' was better on a second read. 

I'm very tempted to read The Gunslinger, but the length of the series is a bit daunting! Have you read all of them?

I managed to finish Who Killed Zebedee? by Wilkie Collins (I just had the second story left to read, John Jago's Ghost) so I'm pretty happy with that :) 

On 09/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, karen.d said:

I'm glad you had some fun reading and that The Gunslinger improved upon second read :).

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

No need to apologise! I hope you had fun celebrating your grandmother's birthday :). That was a lot of books you managed to get through too, especially considering you had a busy day!

Thank you :)!

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

I managed to finish Who Killed Zebedee? by Wilkie Collins (I just had the second story left to read, John Jago's Ghost) so I'm pretty happy with that :) 

That's excellent :)!

I'll be posting a topic of the 2020 Read-a-thon dates, a while later in December.

49 minutes ago, Athena said:

I'll be posting a topic of the 2020 Read-a-thon dates, a while later in December.

Exciting! I love new year threads. I should probably get my reading log up to date before it's time to make a new one...

I love your festive profile picture by the way :lol:

42 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Exciting! I love new year threads. I should probably get my reading log up to date before it's time to make a new one...

Same :D. And haha I probably should do that too..

42 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I love your festive profile picture by the way :lol:

Thank you!! My boyfriend made it for me :).

On 12/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, Hayley said:

What a shame that both books turned out to be a struggle @willoyd! I hope Christmas, A Biography is more enjoyable. 

I'm very tempted to read The Gunslinger, but the length of the series is a bit daunting! Have you read all of them?

Yes, I've read the whole series before and loved it, but it may not be to everyone's taste. The first book in the series in not my favourite, but I'd say to give the first two books a go!

• Athena unpinned this topic