Notifications since upgrade

Michelle

Since the upgrade, people seem to be having different experiences with notifications, and this is complicated by the fact that browsers often now have their own pop up notifications. 

To start with, I suggest going into your settings, and taking a look at the notifications you have already set up, as they may have changed slightly. You can choose for them to be on the forum only, or by email.

Then, there is a big box in mine which tells me my browser notifications are disabled. If you are experiencing pop up notifications you can't work out, or get rid of, see if you have that big box showing in your settings - if not, then check your browser settings.

That's probably as clear as mud!? If anyone is having problems with notifications, post here, and we'll try to sort it out. :)

notifications.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to adjust my setting about notifications but it hasn't made any difference.  I can live with it, it just seems a bit superfluous getting a notification which I can see on the relevant thread.

Also, my Reading Challenges "books" are constantly highlighted as if I hadn't read a post, but I've been through every page and it's totally clear, so I'm not sure why that keeps showing as having an "unread post"; this hasn't happened on any of the other threads; as soon as I've read the new posts, the "books" go back to the one colour.  Again, it's not that serious, just a bit annoying.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Also, my Reading Challenges "books" are constantly highlighted as if I hadn't read a post, but I've been through every page and it's totally clear, so I'm not sure why that keeps showing as having an "unread post"; this hasn't happened on any of the other threads; as soon as I've read the new posts, the "books" go back to the one colour.  Again, it's not that serious, just a bit annoying.

If you're sure you've read all the posts in the section, if you click on the "books" icon, it should mark all threads in that section as read, or you can use the option in the top right under the search field, to Mark site read.  This will set everything as read for you, so you're starting from a clean slate and hopefully you won't get the icon highlighted as if you have unread posts in that section.

19 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

If you're sure you've read all the posts in the section, if you click on the "books" icon, it should mark all threads in that section as read, or you can use the option in the top right under the search field, to Mark site read.  This will set everything as read for you, so you're starting from a clean slate and hopefully you won't get the icon highlighted as if you have unread posts in that section.

I did all that but couldn't find any unread posts, however there's been a new post overnight and now I've read it, it seems to have cleared it.  thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

How do I clear my notifications?  They're beginning to pile up and from what I can remember you used to be able to 'select all' and then 'clear selected' but I can no longer find how to do so.  Thanks.

If you mean what I think you mean, to unfollow all content you are following, you click on your member name at the top right of the screen and click 'manage followed content'. Then by clicking the box to the top right above all the followed content, you click on that and then click on select all rows. A little menu will pop up and you can click the big 'X' to unfollow all. I can't test if that removes the already present notifications though, but that's what I can think of right now. When I get a notification it shows up as a red number next to the alarm bell at the top, I just click on the alarm bell to make the red number disappear. I'm not sure if you can remove the list of notifications, but if what I've said doesn't help, maybe someone else has an idea.

No, that doesn't work as I don't follow any content.  I'm talking about the notifications I get when people quote my posts, tag me etc - this link here should take you to yours - I don't want to stop getting the notifications but there always used to be a way of deleting/clearing the older ones out when there got too many.

Okay I see what you mean, in that case, I'm afraid I don't know. I don't go to that page myself, I check the alarm symbol and my e-mails. I can't see a way to remove the notifications from that page you linked. I don't know how it used to be, because I don't remember ever really using that page. I do have an option in the AdminCP to automatically remove notifications after a certain amount of months, but this holds for everyone. It's currently set to the default value of 3 months. So after 3 months the noticifations that are older than 3 months, will disappear. I could change this value to 1 or 2 months, but I'd have to talk to the others first before changing something like this just because 1 member requested it. I don't see any options to remove them just for you.

18 hours ago, Athena said:

I do have an option in the AdminCP to automatically remove notifications after a certain amount of months, but this holds for everyone. It's currently set to the default value of 3 months. So after 3 months the noticifations that are older than 3 months, will disappear. I could change this value to 1 or 2 months, but I'd have to talk to the others first before changing something like this just because 1 member requested it. I don't see any options to remove them just for you.

No, don't worry, you don't have to change anything.  If they disappear after 3 months anyway then that's fine.  Thanks for the info.