Has anyone read Poldark before the TV series.  I read it years ago (I'm talking late 1980s).  I only stopped reading the series because my library didn't have them anymore.  Since the TV series they've now got the books back, with TV series covers.  I decided to read them again, but I'm wondering if the books they've got are based on the series and aren't the originals.  I'm sure when I started reading them the first time the first book started with Demelza walking the Cornwall cliffs and meeting up with Ross.  It was a long time ago, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.  Does anyone know?

No they're the original books, I didn't watch the series first time round back in the 1970s, but I started reading the books a few years ago, and have since seen a few episodes of the original, old series, and I watch the new one, and they are all based on the books.  The author died several years ago and no one has carried on writing the books, thankfully!

I watched the original series in the 70's, absolutely loved it and went on to read the books several times (although I don't think I ever got round to reading a few of the very last ones). I've also watched the new series and nothing has jumped out at me as being too far from the original story. But since it's been a long time since I read the books, I can't rely on my memory being terribly reliable :blush2:

Sad to hear Winston Graham has died, I read a few of his other books too. He was a very good writer.

I bought the original series on DVD recently and had a wonderful time reliving the story. I was such a fan of Angharad Rees's Demelza, but think Eleanor Tomlinson is doing a fantastic job too.

I thought it was probably  me remembering wrongly.  I'm probably mixing them up with something else.  The books are really good, and I enjoyed the series.  I'm going to check if my library has the whole series or not, as they're good at not having complete series.  

2 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

The books are really good, and I enjoyed the series.  I'm going to check if my library has the whole series or not, as they're good at not having complete series.  

I've struck the same problem. Probably a small town Kiwi library thing :rolleyes: And it's not exactly cheap to get them ordered from another library either.

I read some of the Poldark books a long time ago and I've been watching the TV series - I love it. I've stopped reading the books because I've written two books which readers say are like Poldark and I don't want to be influenced by his writing, so I've stopped!

The books are the originals but I think one of the scenes was altered a bit - can't remember exactly how but it was the scene where Ross rode over to Elizabeth and they ended up in bed together. It differs from the book a little.

I'm writing the last book of my trilogy and that means it won't be too long before I can finish reading the whole series. A treat in store.

12 hours ago, Anna Faversham said:

I read some of the Poldark books a long time ago and I've been watching the TV series - I love it. I've stopped reading the books because I've written two books which readers say are like Poldark and I don't want to be influenced by his writing, so I've stopped!

The books are the originals but I think one of the scenes was altered a bit - can't remember exactly how but it was the scene where Ross rode over to Elizabeth and they ended up in bed together. It differs from the book a little.

I'm writing the last book of my trilogy and that means it won't be too long before I can finish reading the whole series. A treat in store.

To be writing like Winston Graham is quite a compliment, but I can understand you wanting your own voice. Just looked up the first books in your trilogy Anna, they look really good! I'm going to download One Dark Night and read it after I've finished the books I'm presently reading.

See you live in Kent and according to Pa Larkin, it's just perfick! Looks a beautiful part of England.

Edited by poppy

• 3 months later...

Goodness, I'm a long time in replying! Sorry about that. I've now ticked the little box to notify me of replies! 

Thank you for downloading One Dark Night and I hope you enjoy it. The location is in Kent but not in the perfick bit where Pa Larkin lives. My son lives in that part and good friends do too and it is so beautiful. One Dark Night is set on the coast.  But coming from Aotearoa you'll know all about beautiful scenery. I have dual nationality UK/NZ. I was there last summer (yours). Wonderful Welly and a few other places. Sigh...