Bullet Journal

frankie

I'm not sure where this would belong to, so feel free to move this to a more suitable section...

But this thread is about 'Bullet journals'. I found about it today and I thought the idea is pretty good. I'm one of those people who has notebooks and post-its and whatnots all over the place and it's very frustrating at times. I have notes of things I don't know when I will have the time or inclination to do something about, and yet I want to be reminded of those things, but not constantly. So for this, a bullet journal might seem ideal...

Does anyone here keep a bullet journal? Here's a link to the bulletjournal website, and here's a youtube video of how to bullet journal

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have used a bit of a modified version of this on and off for about a year and a half now. I don't use one constantly but when I have a lot to do I tend to go back to it as it helps me to keep organised. There are quite a few websites and youtube videos about bullet journalling, some of them are pretty much works of art.

If you like I'll post a few pics of mine later.

I've kept a very scrappy one this past year, but I find I like to have things set up in advance, as I use it mostly as a planner and list keeper.

I finished setting up the main bulk of my BuJo for 2017 last night. I tend to do little doodles and things in mine when I'm bored, but I've also included some doodles for things I already know are happening, and colour coding in the set up.

This is one of my six-month future logs (I have both of them set up already)

post-3572-0-86256000-1483182900_thumb.jpg

A monthly overview, complete with goals and To Do list

post-3572-0-30150800-1483182910_thumb.jpg

A weekly spread - this is the week I'm performing Puss in Boots, hence the doodles.

post-3572-0-17695700-1483182928_thumb.jpg

This is my book log - I've roughly sketched in books on the shelves, but I'll pen them in properly as I finish books, and I'll write the month on the shelf underneath.

post-3572-0-91568600-1483182943_thumb.jpg

My movie log is set up like strips of film - I'll write the films I watch into each frame. The month will be written into an upright block between frames.

post-3572-0-58380100-1483182951_thumb.jpg

I also watch several shows and occasionally forget where I'm up to (we record them and watch them at our leisure), so I've included check boxes for the seasons I plan to watch this year.

post-3572-0-66616300-1483182960_thumb.jpg

I still have LOADS of pages left in my BuJo to include various lists and reminders, which is handy, because it means I won't have to change to a new book this time, like I did part way through 2016 (hence mine became rather scrappy after he change over).

There's also a handy pocket in the back of the BuJo, where I can pop little notes until I get a chance to include the info in the relevant place.

I have used a bit of a modified version of this on and off for about a year and a half now. I don't use one constantly but when I have a lot to do I tend to go back to it as it helps me to keep organised. There are quite a few websites and youtube videos about bullet journalling, some of them are pretty much works of art.

If you like I'll post a few pics of mine later.

That's what I'm hoping Bujo will do for me, too: keep me more organized! It would be wonderful to have everything together in one notebook... I searched Bujos on youtube last night and wow, there's so much to watch! :D I got pretty excited about the whole thing :D 

I would love it if you'd post pictures!! :yes: Please and thank you! 

I've kept a very scrappy one this past year, but I find I like to have things set up in advance, as I use it mostly as a planner and list keeper.

I finished setting up the main bulk of my BuJo for 2017 last night. I tend to do little doodles and things in mine when I'm bored, but I've also included some doodles for things I already know are happening, and colour coding in the set up.

I still have LOADS of pages left in my BuJo to include various lists and reminders, which is handy, because it means I won't have to change to a new book this time, like I did part way through 2016 (hence mine became rather scrappy after he change over).

There's also a handy pocket in the back of the BuJo, where I can pop little notes until I get a chance to include the info in the relevant place.

Do you have the original BuJo notebook, or what do you use, if you don't mind my asking? :) I hear Leuchtturm 1917 is good, too. I've gone crazy and I've just ordered one of those online :D 

Thank you so much for posting all those pictures! Your BuJo looks so great and organized! I love it how you have made it so colorful and detailed, too. Going with different fonts and styles of writing... So cool! :smile2: 

One question I would like to ask you both: do you feel it takes a lot of time, or do you feel it actually saves you time (what with how you used to keep things organized or how they were unorganized)?  I don't know, maybe I have really great expectations for the BuJo, but I hope it will help me get really organized. I also love notebooks and paper and keeping things together, I hope I can make it look nice and sort of make it mine :)  

I love the idea of a bullet journal because I love lists and post-it notes etc. and it would be great to be able to keep it all in some form of organisational system and in one place too. I've seen lots of images of people's bullet journals over on Instagram - I could quite easily (and very happily I might add) spend hours going through them all.

I would love it if you'd post pictures!!

I second this! It's great finding inspiration from others, although I usually end up getting really jealous of how great other people's journals are. Mine would never be anywhere near as good!

I hear Leuchtturm 1917 is good, too.

I've recently purchased three of these journals - in grid/squared format - for use as a book journal, movie/television journal and one for wishlists. Could probably have used just one for all three but they were all such pretty colours!

This is my book log - I've roughly sketched in books on the shelves, but I'll pen them in properly as I finish books, and I'll write the month on the shelf underneath.

Absolutely love this idea!

My movie log is set up like strips of film - I'll write the films I watch into each frame. The month will be written into an upright block between frames.

That is such a cute idea.

I also watch several shows and occasionally forget where I'm up to (we record them and watch them at our leisure), so I've included check boxes for the seasons I plan to watch this year.

Love this idea too! I'm always forgetting what episode I'm up too!

Kell, that's a beautiful Bullet Journal!

I have one too, but mine isn't anywhere as fancy. I just have a monthly overview, to-do lists and future logs. I love seeing what other people do though, Kell's pictures are very inspirational. Would love to see pictures of your Bullet Journal, Brian.

Do you have the original BuJo notebook, or what do you use, if you don't mind my asking? :) I hear Leuchtturm 1917 is good, too. I've gone crazy and I've just ordered one of those online :D

One question I would like to ask you both: do you feel it takes a lot of time, or do you feel it actually saves you time (what with how you used to keep things organized or how they were unorganized)?

I also use the Leuchtturm 1917 dot grid. I got lucky because my local WHSmith (stationary chain) were selling them off at £1 each so I bought all their remaining stock which was only 6 notebooks sadly.

As for the time it takes, it's entirely up to the user. I am not particularly artistic so my Bujo is fairly basic without many embellishments but if I have the time I do tend to make some of the pages look nicer. I use it for making notes on some subjects, noting recipes and also as a traditional journal to record my thoughts and feelings. I really like the fact that its very flexible and you can use it for pretty much anything that comes to mind.

Daily spread.

post-6285-0-33518100-1483283832_thumb.jpg

Novella list.

post-6285-0-59282000-1483283847_thumb.jpg

Monthly/Weekly spread.

post-6285-0-43679000-1483283898_thumb.jpg

Notes.

post-6285-0-40925500-1483283907_thumb.jpg

I found it quite tricky to find pages to put in as there is quite a lot in my Bujo that is for my eyes only. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't use it every day but I do go back to it when I am busy or stressed as I find it quite therapeutic.

Edited by Brian.

Sonovagun! My Bullet Journal is here! :exc: I'm so excited, I can't remember the last time I was this excited about something as (seemingly) trivial as this :D:exc:

I'm going to get back to the new posts in this thread a bit later: I'm too pumped to go through them now, as I have my own Bullet Journal to look at and love, and start up :D:exc: Wohooooooo!!!  :b7ydance:  :woohoo:

I love the idea of a bullet journal because I love lists and post-it notes etc. and it would be great to be able to keep it all in some form of organisational system and in one place too. I've seen lots of images of people's bullet journals over on Instagram - I could quite easily (and very happily I might add) spend hours going through them all.

Me, too! I could just sit and watch people's BuJos on Youtube for hours :D And image google them and look at the prettyful pictures :wub::D 

I second this! It's great finding inspiration from others, although I usually end up getting really jealous of how great other people's journals are. Mine would never be anywhere near as good!

This is the one thing that annoys me... :blush: I wish my handwriting was a lot more fancy and I wish I could do all sorts of calligraphy, and I wish I could draw really well... I'd love my BuJo to be really artistic, too! But I'm going to try to just have fun with it, and make it my own - even if that means it's not going to be that fancy. 

I've recently purchased three of these journals - in grid/squared format - for use as a book journal, movie/television journal and one for wishlists. Could probably have used just one for all three but they were all such pretty colours!

No one could fault you for buying three :D I think a lot of people on here are pretty huge notebookaholics... We actually have a thread on the subject :D 

I have one too, but mine isn't anywhere as fancy. I just have a monthly overview, to-do lists and future logs. I love seeing what other people do though, Kell's pictures are very inspirational. Would love to see pictures of your Bullet Journal, Brian.

You have on, too! So cool! :cool: 

I also use the Leuchtturm 1917 dot grid. I got lucky because my local WHSmith (stationary chain) were selling them off at £1 each so I bought all their remaining stock which was only 6 notebooks sadly.

You got really, really lucky! :o For one thing, I couldn't find any LT1917's at the two bookstore chains we have here, and second, they cost quite a bit, don't they! Is it easy to find LT1917's over there, in bookstores?  

6 notebooks.... :thud: Lucky barsteward! :D 

As for the time it takes, it's entirely up to the user. I am not particularly artistic so my Bujo is fairly basic without many embellishments but if I have the time I do tend to make some of the pages look nicer. I use it for making notes on some subjects, noting recipes and also as a traditional journal to record my thoughts and feelings. I really like the fact that its very flexible and you can use it for pretty much anything that comes to mind.

Thank you so much for posting pictures! I loved going through them :smile2: I'm not artistic, either, so I felt like I needed something extra to make it nicer... Went and bought washi tape! (Also learned a new word: washi tape). I found a really cute one, too! It's pink with golden xoxoxoxo going on and on, in two rows. 

I found it quite tricky to find pages to put in as there is quite a lot in my Bujo that is for my eyes only. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't use it every day but I do go back to it when I am busy or stressed as I find it quite therapeutic.

This reminds me: Do you keep your BuJo at home or do you guys take it everywhere you go, kind of like a calendar/journal? 

Have fun!!

I spent many happy hours on my BuJo on Wednesday  :D I'm in love with it! 

I want to post two pictures. In the first one you can see my pink Leuchtturm 1917, which I had to order online from someone who has a notebook store here in Finland, the bookstores not having any in stock. The postcard you see in the picture is something that the notebook keeper attached to the package :smile2: Love it!

In the second picture you can see the washi tape I bought. (You can also see that I managed to get the tape upside down in two places :D I hadn't noticed the golden hearts and so didn't know you couldn't just tape the damn thing whichever way you want :D It doesn't bother me, though :D ) The page is titled 'The things that will likely end up in my history books', meaning I want to list down the great things that will happen in 2017 and which I will want to write down in my diary. I thought it would be wonderful to keep a list of those in my BuJo :) As you can see, so far the page is empty :D

post-4458-0-12404500-1483699799_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-41944200-1483699816_thumb.jpg

That's great looking washi tape :D! I hope the pages will be filled with a lot of nice things happening in 2017 for you :).

I want to eat the washi tape, it's so pretty and cute :D   And thanks! Yes I, too, hope that wonderful things will happen. Wouldn't it be really sad if nothing did happen and the pages were left empty :blush::D 

My Bullet Journal is arriving today, it should hopefully be there when I get home from work!! :)

Oh yay!! :smile2: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)  I ordered mine on 1.1., and I was hoping it would be sent on 2.1., which it was... Then I was hoping that it would only take the 1 day to be delivered, and it was... It got here so quickly! :wub: I'd been prepared to have to wait till Thursday, but it arrived on Tuesday, the soonest day possible! I had such a crappy day at work that day, that I was all the more excited about the package arriving so soon :smile2: 

Wow!  Bargain price - you were so lucky and I don't blame you for buying their remaining stock!

I'm not artistic, either, so I felt like I needed something extra to make it nicer... Went and bought washi tape! (Also learned a new word: washi tape). I found a really cute one, too! It's pink with golden xoxoxoxo going on and on, in two rows.

I love Washi tape - I bought loads last year for using in my daily thoughts-and-feelings journal. There are some really lovely ones around, although not many UK stockists - I bought the majority of mine on Etsy - got a bit carried away though.   :D

Edited by Autumn

This is a very inspiring thread!

I first heard about bullet journals a few months ago...I can't remember how now (brown cow :rolol:)...and I spent ages looking at Instagram pics. I thought about starting one, but I would stress too much about it looking good. I'm hyper-critical of my own writing and (lack of) creative ability. This thread is getting me excited though.

Kell and Brian, your BuJos are fabulous!

Ooh, I love your pretty new journal, Frankie! You should totally put that inspirational quote somewhere you can see it every day. :) I can't wait to hear about your journalling adventures. :D

ETA: Oh, and I love washi tape too. It's so cute! I have to restrain myself from buying it whenever I see some.

I love Washi tape - I bought loads last year for using in my daily thoughts-and-feelings journal. There are some really lovely ones around, although not many UK stockists - I bought the majority of mine on Etsy - got a bit carried away though.   :D

:D I have to say, there were plenty of really ugly washi tape at the bookstore, but when I rummaged through, I found the pretty one :wub: I didn't really know washi tape existed, before. Or I may have seen it but I had no idea what people might use it for. Now I know :D 

It's really easy to get carried away when buying stuff for one's BuJo and buying stationary in general :blush: 

This is a very inspiring thread!

I first heard about bullet journals a few months ago...I can't remember how now (brown cow :rolol:)...and I spent ages looking at Instagram pics. I thought about starting one, but I would stress too much about it looking good. I'm hyper-critical of my own writing and (lack of) creative ability. This thread is getting me excited though.

I did wish that this thread would inspire others, when I started it, so thanks! :D  

Brown cow... :D :D Never heard that before! I know about being hyper-critical about one's writing, I'm the same way. But I just think that my being critical shouldn't stop me from doing something that I really want to do and which I might find fun doing! I hope we can get you more excited ;) 

Ooh, I love your pretty new journal, Frankie! You should totally put that inspirational quote somewhere you can see it every day. :) I can't wait to hear about your journalling adventures. :D

ETA: Oh, and I love washi tape too. It's so cute! I have to restrain myself from buying it whenever I see some.

I really didn't like the idea of getting a pink journal, because pink isn't my color at all, and I wanted a black or a blue one, but there were only pink ones in stock, as well as red ones. But now that I have the pink one... I love it! :wub::D It's good to mix things up a bit. 

I can put the inspirational quote postcard on my fridge, and have been meaning to do so. And the new avatar helps :D 

I'm afraid my new BuJo is very boring and functional (like me?! :blush2: ) I really don't have the inclination to make it all fancy but I'm loving the organisational capabilities of it, amazing really, it is just a notebook with numbered pages, but those numbered pages/index are what make all the difference!!! :)

^ That looks brilliant!!!  Adding to wishlist now :yes:  Thanks, frankie! :D

You are very welcome! :D

I'm afraid my new BuJo is very boring and functional (like me?! :blush2: ) I really don't have the inclination to make it all fancy but I'm loving the organisational capabilities of it, amazing really, it is just a notebook with numbered pages, but those numbered pages/index are what make all the difference!!! :)

To each their own! A BuJo doesn't have to be fancy at all, it's supposed to be functional and helpful and easy to use! :smile2: And I'm totally happy to hear that you are loving it so much! :smile2: The index is really what it's all about :yes:

I've never been good at drawing, but I like writing and paper and stuff, so hand lettering is like the kind of drawing that I might be able to do okay :D It's the easier kind of drawing :D So I'm keen on trying it :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I also use the Leuchtturm 1917 dot grid - mine is bright orange. I didn't get lucky and spot them going cheap though - LOL! I got mine off Amazon.

A few more pages from mine:

We decided to introduce the boys to Dr Who from Christopher Eccleston onwards (they've both seen Capaldi to date and loved it), so I devoted a two-page spread to keeping tabs on where we're up to (and some of my other TV shows spilled over from the previous page too).

post-3572-0-03253700-1484128025_thumb.jpg

I included a simplified version of my 52 things in 52 weeks challenge too.

post-3572-0-59781900-1484128050_thumb.jpg

I'm taking part in the Orange Rhino challenge, the aim of which is to not shout at my kids any more. So far I've succeeded, although part of that may be down to the fact that I currently have flu and can't speak. let alone shout - LOL! My hubby finds it ironic that I used capitals to write "no shouting" lol!
post-3572-0-77762800-1484128394_thumb.jpg

And finally, I've finished a few books and watched a few movies, so they've now been added to those spreads:

post-3572-0-16974300-1484128035_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-61084800-1484128043_thumb.jpg